need help how to check if my battery is charging - Motorcycle Forum
Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion

Old 06-11-2010, 09:49 AM   #1
papapol
Verified

papapol is on a distinguished road
Default need help how to check if my battery is charging

guys I'm a new rider and as for my first bike I have 1967 honda cd 175. now I brought my bike to a honda repair shop,cause there was no power, so the repair man told me to buy a new battery.So I did then he told me that the bike needs to be rewired,so while thinking if I will let them rewire my bike I accidentally saw that the battery was installed incorrectly so I told him the problem then the bike's engine started to after.then he told me that the battery is not charging now I didn't believe him with this but I cant stop thinking about my battery charging issues,problem is I dont know how to check if it's working properly can anyone tell me how to check if my battery is charging while the engine is running
papapol is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 06-11-2010, 10:02 AM   #2
Schneiderman

Schneiderman will become famous soon enough

I don't know much about older bikes so I may not be totally correct on this, but to my knowledge you can check simply by using a voltmeter to check the battery with the bike running. Rev the engine a little, on a bike with a 12v system you should see nearly 14 volts.

I'm sure someone who knows more about this than me will be along shortly...
Old 06-11-2010, 10:17 AM   #3
papapol
Verified

but my engine runs on a 6 volt battery will it still display 14 volts?
Old 06-11-2010, 01:55 PM   #4
Dodsfall
Administrator

Dodsfall is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by papapol View Post
but my engine runs on a 6 volt battery will it still display 14 volts?
No. It should read higher than 6 volts with the bike at a high idle. Check with a volt meter when the bike is revved to 2500-3000 RPMs. (Have a friend help out with the throttle) My guess is that you should be reading about 7.5 volts at this time.

If the bike isn't charging, check the regulator (if it has one) then power from the stator/generator. You will probably need to pick up a manual for all the proper specs and testing procedures for each.

Make sure your battery connections are clean and snug and there are no obvious shorted or corroded wires first before wasting time checking anything else.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dodsfall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 07:43 PM   #5
papapol
Verified

thanks I'll do that and give you feedback after thanks again
Old 06-12-2010, 12:22 AM   #6
mitchberry
Powder Coating Service Austin Texas

mitchberry is on a distinguished road

(the answer to your question is at the bottom)

so the battery was pluged + to - and - to plus? or.. what do you mean it was installed incorrectly? if that's the case, then im not sure how it started at all! the positive would be grounding to the frame, and the negative would be getting a charge going into it..

it would kind of be like trying to eat a pizza through your *******. it just... doesn't work, and you'd cause a lot of damage trying... may even die...

a battery would do the same... so.. if you had the plus plugged to the negitive and the negative hooked to the plus, and the dude is telling you your battery is jacked up...

he's most likely right....................

then again, i may have not understood what you meant in the first place.

either way, you may or may not need to redo your wiring... we don't know that for sure. it's always a good idea to do it on a bike that old, but at the same time, i get the feeling the dude you're talking about doesn't know much...

just because someone has been a mechanic for 30 years doesn't mean they've been a GOOD mechanic for 30 years.... know what i mean?

most of the people who were around working on those bikes IN the 60's have long sense retired or died. whatever the case is, the ones who are still in the industry don't turn the wrenches anymore.

most anyone you'll find now turning wrenches professionally were kids, or weren't alive when those bikes came out...

whenever i'm looking for something, i have to know specifically what i'm looking for, because there aren't many people out there who know **** about my bike... not many at all..

i'll offer you this piece of honest advice..

if you don't know how to fix bikes, or even understand basic mechanics and electrical ****, you probably shouldn't have a 44 year old bike, either as your first, or last.. - unless you have a ton of money to keep taking it to the shop once a month to fix the newest problem. old bikes and old cars have constant problems.. the technology of the day wasn't so reliable in the first place, add 40 years to that and multiple owners, 20 years of sitting around in the elements, a few restorations, and **** is going to be breaking constantly........

if you don't know how to do things like adjust the carbs on the fly because your bike is idling weird and overheating, then you don't need that bike... it'll end up blowing up on your or breaking down completely.... or you'll end up blowing up the transmission or something from not maintaining it correctly.. who knows really...

not trying to sound skeptical, im just trying to save you a few thousand dollars and months of your time.. sell it to someone else who can appreciate it and buy a brand new bike that won't give you problems for a few years.

suzuki has a BRAND NEW 250 that looks just like the old 60's bikes... it's only a few thousand

for example... check out the suzuki TU250... that thing is SCREAMING for a butt stop, rear sets, and club mans....

------------

the only way to know if your battery is charging is to put the voltage tester to the battery while it's running.. if it's a 6v bike then the volts should read at LEAST 7... probably higher...

if it's a 12v, then it should read at LEASt 13... OR MORE.. it doesn't mean that the battery is accepting and keeping that energy, but it does mean that more juice is going IN to the battery than is coming out of it, therefore it's "charging" ..

turn it off, and test the voltage on the battery again...... if it's 12v then it charged.... but no one can tell you how GOOD of a charge you've put in it...

seriously though.. you've had the battery plugged in wrong, you've killed it completely probably a dozen times i'd assume.. the battery is shot.................. kill a battery one time and it's pretty much ruined...

yeah.. you can re-charge it, but it WILL go dead again when you least expect it.... usually when you're about 50 miles from home in the rain and conveniently forgot your cell phone at home or some crap and have to push it 4 miles to the nearest gas station..

buy a new battery... start fresh........ their a few bucks.......
mitchberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 01:24 AM   #7
Weebel
Banned

Weebel is on a distinguished road

On older bikes, the wires that go to the regulator are usually replaced with the stator because its all one thing, so maybe thats what he meant.

IF your bike doesnt have a lot of power... the #1 thing I would think of checking would be the carb and manifold, and then a compression test. If your battery goes dead your bike just dies... theres hardly no warning at all so I highly doubt your battery is causing performance issues if its still rideable.

If I had to ques a 6 volt system should be at or close to 7 volts at idle and go to at least 8 when revved. But as long as it stays above 6 and goes up a little when revved you should be ok... just hook a volt meter you your battery to check it.

As for this mechanic. I dont think I would go back to him LOL... If he didnt realize your battery was wired in wrong after looking at it and told you your battery was causing performance issues, he doesnt know what he's doing.
Weebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 12:09 PM   #8
papapol
Verified

to mitchberry I mean the honda service center mechanic placed the re wire on the negative terminal along with the fuse and the black wire on the positive one together with the ground. You see I have no choice I would not junk this bike cause I inherited it from my grandfather
weebel I'll check what the reading will be tommorow morning then I'll give you feedback. tnx guys

Last edited by papapol; 06-12-2010 at 12:12 PM..
Old 06-12-2010, 02:56 PM   #9
johnnnyo
Master At Arms

johnnnyo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchberry View Post

i'll offer you this piece of honest advice..

if you don't know how to fix bikes, or even understand basic mechanics and electrical ****, you probably shouldn't have a 44 year old bike, either as your first, or last.. - unless you have a ton of money to keep taking it to the shop once a month to fix the newest problem. old bikes and old cars have constant problems.. the technology of the day wasn't so reliable in the first place, add 40 years to that and multiple owners, 20 years of sitting around in the elements, a few restorations, and **** is going to be breaking constantly........

if you don't know how to do things like adjust the carbs on the fly because your bike is idling weird and overheating, then you don't need that bike... it'll end up blowing up on your or breaking down completely.... or you'll end up blowing up the transmission or something from not maintaining it correctly.. who knows really...

not trying to sound skeptical, im just trying to save you a few thousand dollars and months of your time.. sell it to someone else who can appreciate it and buy a brand new bike that won't give you problems for a few years.
I have to disagree with your advise. I grew up only able to afford old used cars and bikes with no other choice but to learn how to work on them (pre Internet days). If it wasn't for that I probably wouldn't have the amount of knowledge that I have now. With all that is available on the Internet these days he will probably learn how to totally rebuild that bike and acquire a great deal of knowledge at the same time. If he goes and buys a new bike and relies totally on a service center he will never know how to fix it himself on the road in a pinch. You know the old saying "Fix a mans bike for him and he will ride for a day but give a man a set of tools and teach him to fix his bike and hell ride forever." Ok I just made that up
johnnnyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 04:58 AM   #10
mitchberry
Powder Coating Service Austin Texas

mitchberry is on a distinguished road

na man, don't junk it... just know what you're getting yourself into when it comes to making it run dependably.

as for johnny, yeah i completely agree with you.... completely... 100%...

but, papapol inherited the bike from his grandpa recently, it's his first bike, and we are yet to know if he plans to learn enough about the bike to fix it himself... johnnnyo, you and i, like most of the people on this site are gear heads, and know how to turn a wrench, and love doing it... we love the smell of raw gasoline and oil on our hands... it makes us feel like men....... not everyone is that way, they'd rather take their car to the dealership to get the oil changed........

See what i'm getting at here? turning wrenches is -not- for everyone..

proof of that concept is my 69 suzuki, and the shape it was in when i got it... and all the completely moronic things the original owner did to it to destroy it......... not because he was trying to, but because he didn't know any better!

the bike that papapol has is an heirloom... passed down to him from his grandpa.. he probably doesn't need to be learning how to fix things -on- that bike....

learning to fix means --- will.... break something ---

"?"
mitchberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 06:46 AM   #11
johnnnyo
Master At Arms

A 67 Honda is pretty old but being that it was his grandfathers, (and I can only speak for myself) I'm sure he would put a lot of special care, time and knuckle blood into it. Like I said the internet has come along way and will be a huge help to hopefully a new gear head. but your right about it not being for everyone. Ahhh, the smell of a rich, lean or on spot carb. Gets me all tiggly inside.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:10 AM   #12
papapol
Verified

yup i am planning to learn from this forum and then share what I would learn cause I dont plan to end this bike's legacy on me hehehe.off course johnnyo I am and will do exactly what you said specially for this bike cause it's my grandpa's and it's 18 yrs older than me hehehehe

back to the topic I've tested the bike voltage reading while the bike's on idle the V.O.M. reads 6.15 volts and when I give the throttle a boost it gives a reading of 6.5-6.7 volts I tried cleaning the wire connection from the rectifier it still gives the same reading "the battery is new I already bought a new one after that mechanic installed my battery improperly". now I tried it for a ride just a while ago ad it was about to rain perfect time for the test while riding it i put the head light on high beam and use all the other lights,signal,speedometer lights and tail light. while half way on the test drive it rained still I was able to complete the drive.until now the bike is running in idle I tried to stop the engine for 15 mins then tried starting it and it stated immediately.now I dont know if I was able to do that because my battery is new or the bike was charging the battery though the voltage reading that I got was a bit low? I really need your feed back guys thanks
Old 06-13-2010, 11:34 AM   #13
WintrSol
Rough Writer

WintrSol is on a distinguished road

Did you measure at the battery posts? If so, did you scrape the points of the meter leads around a bit, to make sure you were touching clean, shiny metal? The fact that it supported the lights indicates, to me, that the charger output is at least keeping up with the load; measure the battery again, and compare to the first set of values. If they're the same or higher, the charging system is working fine; if slightly lower, you need to clean, grease, and reconnect the connections, especially the ground cables.
Old 06-13-2010, 02:06 PM   #14
johnnnyo
Master At Arms

With a new battery it may take a few rides before it dies on you if it isn't charging properly. An easy way to test your charging system is to check the voltage of the battery with the bike off. Then turn the lights on without the bike running to drain the battery for a bit (15min should be good) and then turn the lights off and check the voltage again. Obviously you should have a drop in voltage. Then start the bike up and run it for a bit and then turn it off and recheck the voltage. You should have a nice built up charge on it, if not I would look into changing the rectifier/regulator and retest the same way then if still a problem you may need to change the stator.

Last edited by johnnnyo; 06-13-2010 at 02:08 PM..
Old 06-13-2010, 02:12 PM   #15
rexmitchell
Administrator

rexmitchell has a spectacular aura about

No advice here on the battery but don't take your bike to a shop that doesn't realize a battery is installed incorrectly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You may all go to Hell, and I will go to Texas. - Davy Crockett
rexmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 06:05 PM   #16
Weebel
Banned

Weebel is on a distinguished road

IDK If I'de to the headlight thing without it running LOL.. Older bikes (and most newer ones) arnt desinged to charge a battery just keep it charged.

Does your headlight get dimmer when ya rev the bike by a lot?

To be honest... Im not failure with 6 volt readings that much but if I had to guess... they bike is just so old that the charging system has gotton weak and it doesnt like any load put on it when it isnt running... and cant charge the battery back up but has enough output to barely keep it charged.

Does that bike have a kick start? If it does... I'de use that instead of an electric starter, it could make the difference between the batter getting low or staying charged.

But most likely... either your magnets are getting weak or the stator is getting a little old.

As for performance issue.... make sure the carbs are cleaned and the manifold dont leak at all for starters.
Weebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 08:27 PM   #17
papapol
Verified

yup the electric starter is not yet useable cause i'm not yet done with the repairs i'm still looking for the parts to make it functional,the head light is constant even if in idle or if i rev it up
thanks for the info guys that solves everything now I wont go back to that stupid service center I'll do the repairs myself by the help of this forum hehehehe
thanks.....
Old 06-16-2010, 08:11 AM   #18
ccRider246

ccRider246 is on a distinguished road

Check on dansmc.com, also. There is some good info there.