Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Forums > Reviews & Opinions > TIRES

TIRES Advice, questions, or opinions on tires

Old 05-15-2010, 08:42 PM   #1
Goliath616
Rough Writer

Goliath616 has a spectacular aura about
Default IRC Wild Flare tires

I just replaced the tires on my '08 Suzuki Boulevard C50C the OEM tires were IRC Grand and the front had started to cup a little at the end of last season, so this year I started my search. I've said it before, I bought my bike because I liked the flame paint job, my helmet has flames...and now, so do my tires lol

both tires

front tread

rear tread

after looking at several different tire brands for a couple of months, reading reviews, looking at pictures of the tires and comparing prices, I decided to go with these.

I got them from Dennis Kirk, front tire 130/90H-16 was $70.99 and the rear 170/80H-15 was $97.99. I just had them installed yesterday, so I don't have many miles on them yet (it's been raining all day today) but I went out for a bit right after getting them on, and they were not as slick as I thought they would be (this is my first pair of new tires, and after hearing all the horror stories...well you get the idea lol) all in all I am please with them (so far) I will write more after a few hundred more miles.

*edit WOW those pics were big....I re-sized them to fit better....lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" border="0" />

Last edited by Goliath616; 05-15-2010 at 08:46 PM..
Goliath616 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 05-15-2010, 10:02 PM   #2
67fire
Banned

67fire will become famous soon enough

That is WAY cool Goliath!
So who makes the tires and what is the model?
Don't forget to post those pictures of the scooter after the rain stops and the Sun comes out.

We'll be patiently waiting for them...

Eric
67fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 04:41 AM   #3
Goliath616
Rough Writer

the brand is IRC, and they are called Wild Flare, I ordered them from www.Denniskirk.com

When I was looking at them, there is a link there to show what bikes the parts are compatible with, and these all said HD......ummmm no, tires will fit on any bike lol

I had to do a search on the recommended tires for my bike, then compare the inflated size, width, tread depth and other such things and found the right set (even though they are both 170/80 15 the rear is 1/2" shorter than OEM) but the numbers were close enough

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" border="0" />
Old 05-16-2010, 12:10 PM   #4
67fire
Banned

67fire will become famous soon enough

Thanks! I, apparently, missed the title in the post!
I have ran countless sets of IRC dirt bike tires in the past and they wear like iron.
They should be great for your type of riding.
A slightly shorter tire also gives you a lower gear ratio so it accelerates just a bit quicker.
And, in the words of Billy Crystal... "look marvelous."

Eric
67fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 11:37 AM   #5
prefire
Second Wind

prefire is on a distinguished road

@Goliath616

I ordered my 170/80-15 from the bandit. Not the first tire I have ordered from them nor the 5th tire ...But when I received it I looked at the DOT stamp and found the tire to be just over 3 years old! Dangit! I called the bandit and they sent me a prepaid return shipping label and a fresher tire too. I year old.

Lately I have looked at tire prices from Dennis Kirk and found them to be good. Question I have is, how old were the skins you got from DK this past May?
prefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 11:42 AM   #6
prefire
Second Wind

Another question is how are they holding up for you? Being as I replied to a three month old thread! Some boys I know love em although they don't last as long as Metz 880s. Now Avon are the cat's meow for handling , but the venoms (avons) wear even faster...

(Wish I could have edited my post to add this question. I'll have to see if that is possible)
Old 08-15-2011, 07:24 PM   #7
Goliath616
Rough Writer

not 3 months old, a year and 3 months lol.....I like them fine..well the rear tire anyway, the front tire had a bad spot, and by the time I figured out what was wrong it was too late to send it back...I didn't even think to look at the production date....

my front tire had a spot right on the center line of the tire that was a raised spot and a small dip right behind it, caused me all kinds of problems with the handlebars shaking and such, I tried having it balanced again, checked the alignment and everything else I could think of before one tech finally found the bad spot (like I said, it was a small thing)

but it was almost 5 months after I put the tire on that we found it, so I just replaced it with a metzler 880...the rear tire is holding up very well, but I don't ride a 1000 miles a week either lol...

I was unhappy with the front tire, but I don't blame that on Dennis Kirk, or even IRC...it was a production fault that got missed during the inspection, it happens....but I think I will just stick with the metzlers from now on since I can buy them here and not have to have them shipped like I did the IRC's

" border="0" />
Old 08-15-2011, 09:04 PM   #8
prefire
Second Wind

the 880 are fine tires. Nothing shoddy about them at all. The way I've been going through tires I have been trying Kenda Cruz and Bridgestone Spitfires. Cinnamon Girl came with a set of Pirelli MT66 Route tires. Several months after I purchased her, I rode her up to Canandaigua NY knowing that the front tire was skinny. Heck I thought I would due the yute thing and run it past the wear tabs. Ha. Stopped on the BRP just North of Little Switzerland (nice play to stay for the night btw-motorcycle lodge and such) one morning to change out my headlight lamp. omg was my reaction as I gazed upon the front tire just as slick and full of snot balls as one could imagine. Spent the next day and a half looking for a tire. Ending up at Millerbuilt triumph in Lynchburg VA. They didn't have a tire but there was a Yamaha dealership next door who set me with a new Avon. Part of my search found me in Mayberry NC err Mount Airy. Always wanted to visit that town. So the side trip was not too bad.

regarding the IRC I spooned on yesterday, I haven't even scuffed it up yet. Started raining soon after I wrapped it up, then today I rode my mountain bike to work today. Now to remember tomorrow morning that the tire is virgin as I twist the throttle...

Old 08-16-2011, 04:52 PM   #9
Goliath616
Rough Writer

yeah, right after I swapped both tires I took it easy for a short time, but my IRC's scrubbed in quick....now when I switched out to the Metzler on the other hand, I felt like I was riding on soap for the first 100 miles....unfortunately for me at the time, I had just got out of the hospital and most of my trips were less than 10 miles...so it took time lol....I still haven't taken any shots of the tires on the bike, I just keep forgetting to get one, although with the rear fender on there you can't really see the tire unless you're on the ground or leaning over looking...I have since taken the bag off the handle bars and put on a Memphis Shades detachable windshield...but here's my bike

" border="0" />
Old 08-16-2011, 05:04 PM   #10
prefire
Second Wind

I hear you about not really being able to see the rear tire given the fender. You know, I almost forgot about the scrub in as I rounded the first corner out my neighborhood this morning. Was great to get back on Cinnamon Girl. Gotta rotate bikes as I'm too lazy to hook up my trickle charger. Nice ride you have. Hope the hospital is behind you and just a memory...

I can see the IRC readily on my CG. One of these days I'll get round to bobbing a spare fender.

Here's my other girl: Vera Lynn

BRP. (Travel light eh? )