Best Way to Remove Dents from Motorcycle Gas Tank? - Motorcycle Forum
Motorcycle Forum

Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle Forums > General Motorcycle Discussion

Old 05-09-2010, 11:27 AM   #1
ayh127
Verified

ayh127 is on a distinguished road
Question Best Way to Remove Dents from Motorcycle Gas Tank?

I got a Virago 250 recently. Yesterday, I noticed a dent on the Gas Tank, which I know wasn't there when I bought it! I think someone was in the garage and dropped something on it accidentally.

The bike looks great otherwise, but this dent really annoys me. I know in the grand scheme of things, 1 little dent isn't a big deal.

However, what's the best way to Remove the Dent? What's the best way to do this inexpensively? I've heard of people using Hair Dryers and pushing dents out. Will that work? I saw some people on this forum suggested filling you gas tank with Water, and putting it in the freezer. I don't know if I want to do that. Any other tricks people know of?
ayh127 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]
Old 05-09-2010, 11:47 AM   #2
Custom85VT

Here are at least a few posts you might find helpful.

can this dent be pulled?

How to fix dent in fuel tank

Very small dent
Old 05-09-2010, 02:02 PM   #3
Badlands-4-2
Super Moderator

Badlands-4-2 has a spectacular aura about

There are lots of places that do paintless dent repair. I would just take it to them. They are usually cheap and do good work. It was amazing what they can get done. The roof of my pickup looked like the surface of a golf ball after a hail storm a couple years ago, now it looks factory straight.
Badlands-4-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 09:05 PM   #4
Plumcrazy
Psychotic Reader

Location: Beautiful Ozarks in the middle of Razorback Country
Plumcrazy is on a distinguished road

Dry ice on a hot day...so I have been told on small dents with no creases

Wayne S
Old 05-11-2010, 10:54 PM   #5
BikeCycleMan
Master At Arms

BikeCycleMan is on a distinguished road

I had very good luck with some tank dents using an adhesive dent puller.
BikeCycleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 11:04 PM   #6
casilver

casilver is on a distinguished road

Would any of the methods above work for a tiny dimple on the gas thank? It's probably about 3/16" round, if that. It really bugs me...

While adjusting the bars when I first got it, they collapsed; the throttle side switch box hit the tank... really stupid mistake on my part not to put a thick folded towel over the tank. aaauuughhh!

Thanks!

Last edited by casilver; 05-11-2010 at 11:06 PM..
casilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 04:09 AM   #7
badinfluence63
Banned

badinfluence63 is on a distinguished road

I can tell you what not to do. Was just starting out in a body shop and they had this piece of equipment where a clothes hanger sized rod would be welded to the side of the metal and then you would pull it out. One problem. motorcycle gas tanks aren't as thick as car/truck body panels and I ended up shooting a hole right thru it.

Depending on the dent either suction. Or bondo and new paint job would be all I know.
badinfluence63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 05:50 AM   #8
benny hedges
Veryfried

benny hedges will become famous soon enough

double post lol- still early for me!!

Last edited by benny hedges; 05-16-2010 at 06:02 AM..
benny hedges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 06:01 AM   #9
benny hedges
Veryfried

Quote:
Originally Posted by casilver View Post
Would any of the methods above work for a tiny dimple on the gas thank? It's probably about 3/16" round, if that. It really bugs me...

!
the type of kit mentioned by bicycleman is ideal for pulling out small dings like yours, without damaging the paint.
if you're lucky it will pop out in one go and barely leave a ripple behind.
i've done a few like that myself with £10 kit off ebay, works with glue sticks and a threaded bar pulling against an inverted cup.

if it does leave a ripple that's visible in sunlight, a light sanding with fine wet& dry followed by a good t-cutting can fix it up.

managed to pop a dent once using the mirror stem through the filler hole in the tank, barely visible and didn't crack the paint.
another time i put banding straps around the tank, trapped a plastic bag under the filler cap to block off the vents, then attached a footpump to the fuel tap and pumped it up. - that was on a tank with more than one fist sized dents that needed respraying, but i didn't want to lose fuel capacity by just filling the holes - it worked great but the tank was a bit bigger than standard once i'd finished!!

here's a vid of how the pros do it with an expensive 'proper' pdr kit... http://www.monkeysee.com/play/11977-...epair-with-kit

also below some other methods, including dry ice, which i can say i haven't heard of before, though i have seen dents popped successfully with plumber's pipe freezing aerosols

they mention the 'rivet' method for large dents - ive used self tapping screws before, obviously not on fuel tanks! and this works great, leaves you just a little hole to fill.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:58 AM   #10
casilver

casilver is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info Benny. I may give that a go... no damage to the paint?

Hey, btw, I hope you're healing well brother.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:19 PM   #11
benny hedges
Veryfried

check the paint isn't cracked before you use a glue stick kit otherwise it will just pull the paint off!
sometimes it leaves a barely visible crease but if you go at it with very fine (1200 or 1500+) wet & dry, then t cut, you can get it good as new.

using a glue stick kit on larger dents, ive found it's best to work from the sides in, and not to try and pop it out in one go.

back at work now bud, bike is almost ready for the road again - still need an op on some tendons but well on the mend - cheers!
Old 06-02-2010, 01:05 PM   #12
ayh127
Verified

ayh127 is on a distinguished road
Default Picture of Dent

Here is the picture of the Dent! My camera isn't that good, but you can see it. It's actually smaller then what is shown in the picture. v
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HPIM0868.jpg (95.9 KB, 43 views)
ayh127 is offline   Reply With Quote