Motorcycle Forum banner

need help for first bike choices

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Urban 
#1 ·
Im "5'10 and around 290 lbs and im looking for a good sports bike but dont know what to get for my first bike im looking for a bike that csn cruise at 70ish area and is affordable

#2 ·
A single or twin cylinder that is fairly light makes the best motorcycle to learn on. Secondly, fit is going to be important to being able to ride comfortably, so sitting on a few different styles is a good idea.

Affordable is relative to how much you have to spend. Don't forget to check insurance rates and budget for gear and maintenance. These could potentially add up to the cost of a motorcycle itself in some situations.

I'd recommend taking a BRC before looking around for the actual motorcycle. It's a low-cost way for you to determine if riding is something you would like to continue with and invest in.

#6 ·
I would suggest starting on an SV650 or a 650 Ninja. They are twin engine bikes with more than enough power, yet manageable and light, easy to handle. My SV has been a great first sport bike. I had lots of experience on motorcycles, just not a lot on the street. A 600 would have been more than l wanted for getting back on the road, and definitely more than any first time rider should be on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.