Motorcycle Forum banner

Battery

4K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  Eye_m_no_angel 
#1 ·
I have been having issues with my battery being drained, If i don't run it for a few days it will be dead. I have nothing hooked to it. I took it to be checked last year and they say there is nothing wrong, but something is. Any suggestions?

#2 ·
The first thing I would do, or have someone do, is load test the battery. Even though you just had it tested last year, they do fail, and what you describe could very well be the case.

If that checks out I would then test the charging system. That can also cause the problem you describe. If you're not sure how to do it, but you have a multi-meter, I can walk you through it. It's an easy test.

If both of the above are good, then we're going to have to look for a draw that's draining the battery.

#3 ·
I should have said that the battery is less than a yr old and it was taken back to dealer on Monday.
They checked it out first by putting it on charger and they fully charged it so they gave it back.
They are the same ones who supposedly checked out bike last year and gave me a new battery at that time.

#4 ·
If they just charged it and didn't load test it they didn't do you any good.

Here's what I would do first: If you don't have a load tester, but you have a multi-meter, charge the battery and then check the voltage across the terminals. It should be 12.7 vdc or better.

Next, turn on the ignition, but don't start the bike, and squeeze the brake lever. Your battery voltage shouldn't drop much more then about 1 vdc. If it does, you know your battery is toast.

Next, disconnect both plug wires so the bike won't start, (or remove the fuel pump fuse if you can find that easier,) and try to start the bike. Let it crank for ten seconds, one-one-thousand, two-one-thousand..... If the battery voltage drops below about 9.6 vdc, or if it doesn't quickly come back up to at least about 12.6 vdc after you release the starter button, your battery is finis.

Until you make sure your battery itself is charged and good, there's not much use looking for another problem. Next would be to check your whole charging system, but the most likely culprit will be the voltage regulator.

#7 ·
--

If your battery never gets a full charge even after its been ridden for awhile, and the battery was fully charged before you left (12.7-13.2v), then it will be real weak or dead (12.4-12.7v) after several days of sitting. If you have a regular voltmeter, put it on volt check, start the motor and see what the charge of your battery is compared to before you started it. If you are only getting a 12.7-13.00volt charge, it will not be enough to get back what you use in riding and starting a few times. When your stator and regulator is working correctly, you should be charging around 14 volts at 1500, or so, rpms.

--

#9 ·
Have we ascertained the year of this bike? I thought the older bikes (if this one is) didn't HAVE "charging systems" on them?

On my 1998, I don't have a charging system, and the Battery Tender is the key to keeping a healthy battery.

-soupy

#12 ·
Ok so i finally have a update. My husband tested battery the way you said. I had to convince him that we couldn't trust Harley shop.
He couldn't figure anything out, he switched batteries from his bike and mine. He was unable to ride because of a injury so it didn't matter if his bike/battery was going to be drained.
So he hadn't started his bike in over a month and it was my battery and it started! i have not had any issues with my bike at all having his battery. I don't get it, but then as long it its starts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.