Motorcycle Forum banner

Goin' to Daytona!

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  67fire 
#1 ·
My wife, myself and my Harley have been invited to Daytona for the week!:thumbsup:
My riding buddy's uncle has a condo somewhere?? in the "Sunshine" state.
It was a , "hey what are you doin'"
"Nothing-I'm there" deal.
I figure at 52, I should see the sites! (besides my Harley has a BAD case of Garage fever)!:eek:
So, this all being said.
What should I "avoid"?
What is a must see?
We're not drinkers, party-ers (anymore), so the bar hopping scene is out.
Chris's Uncle has been there numerous times before, so I know he knows the sites.
So any suggestions?
tanks!
Joe
Short of when I raced off road, this is the first time I've trailered my bike to a ride!:coffee::smiley_drinkcoffee:

#2 ·
Daytona bound

You can see just about any bike made in the last 40 years - US, British, German, Italian, Japanese, etc., depending upon venue... the roads are congested, so don't expect to get anywhere too quickly.

During Bike Week, there are at least 6 main venues:

1. Bellair Plaza on A1A in Ormond Beach - informal bike show, mostly Harleys. Free Parking on-site.
2. Main Street on the peninsula - the center of the Harley action, and nonstop bike & people watching. Lots of vendors. Park wherever you can find a spot - usually free.
3. Downtown Daytona near the Harley Dealership - more Harley action. Ditto parking (above).
4. The Speedway - large corporate displays by the Japanese, Italian, British, and German manufacturers. More civilized then the Harley venues. Park across the street at one of the shopping centers for free. A fee to get in, but well worth it.
5. US 1 about 2 miles north of Ormond Beach - this is where the Iron Horse Saloon and other biker bars are located. Great place to walk around in the evenings. The closer you get, the more you'll pay to park, but it is worth it to get closer to the action for this one.
6. Bruce Rossmeyer's Destination Daytona, at the US 1 exit of I-95 going south (about 5 mi north of Ormond Beach). This is the largest Harley shop in the world, and it also has numerous other associated businesses (S&S, Arlen Ness, etc).

As you can see, there is a lot to do in a week - you'll have to decide what are your priorities. Numbers 1 & 3 take an hour or so, Numbers 2, 5, & 6 take at least several hours, and Number 4 takes half a day to do it right.

If you like bikes and bike activity, you'll have a great time.
With a friend who has been there before, you'll be able to come up with a decent itenerary to fill you time in FL... beware... a lot of scooters get stolen during Bike Week. :thumbsdown:

#4 ·
Groovie!
My buddy called this morning.
His Uncle's Condo, is like 500' from the beach, right in Daytona, so it'll be a short ride to the "happens"!!
"Uncle Jimmy" has been there almost every year since it was a molten rock, so he'll know the tips, but it's nice to know what to expect.
Last time I was there was?? '89 and it was CRAZY, (we slept in a box van, watched the supercross and raced the enduro. It was a "off road" vist, so we didn't see much)
Joe
I need a goverment grant to visit all these bike shows!

#6 ·
Last time I went was the 50th Playtona..... Oh the humanity, so many people so many lines to wait to get a beer. Parking was scarce.

I found Daytona in the off season to be much better and more accesible. Got to actually get in boothill, iron horse, cabbage patch blah blah blah. I think I remember there being naked dancing chick places there too?

You should try to get into that huge harley shop down there. Its like a village:

http://www.brucerossmeyer.com/

The actual owner dies last year but I am pretty sure its still open.

#7 ·
Yes he died doing what he liked. ;)

The Wyoming Highway Patrol says that Rossmeyer and 5 other bikers were headed east on Highway 28 in Sweetwater County, WY when they were trailing a Ford pickup truck pulling a 2-axle camper style trailer. The truck driver Robert L. VanValkenburg, 73, of Rock Springs, WY, slowed down and began making a left turn and Rossmeyer tried to pass him when they collided. The highway patrol report states that Rossmeyer was not wearing a helmet and that VanValkenburg’s truck and camper turn signals and brake lights were working at the time of the crash.

http://www.cyrilhuzeblog.com/2009/0...r-killed-this-morning-in-motorcycle-accident/

Who knows... if he had waited to pass instead of trying to "keep up" what would have happened.

Eric :frown:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.