Motorcycle Forum banner

What is the best motorcycle Honda ever made?

83K views 298 replies 196 participants last post by  Tinsnips 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
The only thing Ford ever made was the 65 Mustang. I think you know what I mean.The F-150 came close, but they didn't have to make it. Its just a box and a frame.

Other companies, such as Honda, have made a wise variety of good products, and we like them all. Is there one that stuck out in your mind?

What put Honda Motorcycles on the map, or what is the product they have that no one else has been able to offer?

My choice is for the Honda 50s. If you didn't ride one, you waited to long to start riding.

#33 ·
Tough Question

I would have to say in general the CB Series of Hondas are great. I was very impressed with my CB900C. I often have to ask myself why I sold mine. If the question was reversed to what was ther worst bike it would still be very hard to answer.

DDOG

#36 ·
Got to go with my vtx cause I absolutely love it. Completely maintanence free, fi, hop on and just cruise. Plenty of torque and power to get out of the way semis do not even phase it on the highway. Owned several cr and an xr in the past as well and again, no major issues there either. Let's face it, any Honda seems to be a great Honda!!!

#39 ·
IMHO
Best Overall: The GL1200's; most refined of the four cyl. Wings
Most Important: The original "Dream" where would we be without them
Most Earth Shaking: the "CB750 Fours"
The one I would have liked to have seen succesful: NR750R
Best Honorable Mention: XR600R the benh mark of all big bore offroad bikes

#43 ·
hlrembe said:
IMHO
Best Overall: The GL1200's; most refined of the four cyl. Wings
Maybeso, but I like my 1977 GL1000.

Most Important: The original "Dream"
Hmmm... yes... but the Hawk and Super Hawk were just as significant I think.. and it was this body-style that was brought forward.

Best Honorable Mention: XR600R the benh mark of all big bore offroad bikes
This is an extremely fine cycle. I *love* these Big Boys. My 1983 XR500R was no slouch either, rated at 36 hp vs the 600 at 33 hp.

In order to get any deeper into this, I think we need to define some categories and let some other cycles play too. How about:

- lil around town putt-putts
Honda S90
- trail bike
CT-70
- 4-stroke dual sport
Kaw 650 makes a credible case, but I like the Honda 650 better
- off-road thumper
?
- long-legged traveling bike
Valkerie?
- Korner Kutters
Ducati?
- Speed Demons

#44 · (Edited)
lg1139 said:
before that the cb450
I had a coupla these. Couldn't break em. Usta do 1000 miles/weekend on em. Downside? They had vibrations... you generally cruised at a speed between major vibration rpms. But... when i talk about Honda vibrations, it is probably 1/10 the vibrations we dealt with on the Beezers and such. The CB450 was Heavy. 436 lbs. Needed better brakes on the pre-1970 disk-brake models. Good mileage tho, 65 mpg at freeway speeds. These guys could wind out past 12k rpm, indicated.

GeoB

#51 ·
Which one do you have? IMHO they CL differed from the CB mostly as a styling package. They got the pipes up off the ground enough that you could do some mild off-roading. They seemed a lil top-heavy to me. But OK. I liked mine fairly well. Think I have had several different models. Had a coupla 3 or 4 350's. Think a 450. Think a Honda 90, maybe more than one. Had an SL 90 but that is very different than a CL. Something is tickling my memory that the small CL bikes may have had a different cam and/or carb than the CB, not sure.

Yeah, since you already have one it's a moot question. I wudda said if you want off-road capability I'd just get a dual sport. Shucks I ought to anyway, just for the heck of it.

GeoB

#53 ·
1975 CB 750, the bike that started it all or..... The '88 CR 125, the BEST MX bike ever bike, (just look at the '88 MXdN, Johnnie O Mara on a stock Honda 125 beat the ENTIRE filed, (well except for Rick Johnson on a 1 off Honda CR250, and David Bailey in the second moto on a factory Honda CR 500.
I had one, best suspension ever, seamless power that climbed on and on.
Just one old guys thoughts!
Joe

#54 · (Edited)
im 6'5 320lbs so i dont ride any small bikes,most bikes are not made for me to ride em,so i can only have an opinion on larger bikes

well you cant beat a valkyrie,cant beat the smooth engine, it will idle off evertime if you want it to,plenty of power

i got a 78 goldwing with around 60,000 on it good bike i have gave that bike a hard life an it needs a little TLC but that thing is tough, ive rode it like a dirt bike jumped out on the pipe line many times, over reved many many times, an ever time i ride it, its at 8000-8500 rpm red lines at 8, ive seen it past 10,000rpm,

vtx is a nice bike im just not a v-twin person dont like that bog when you take off,an the vibration from them,the thing i love most about the vtx is the 5th gear acceleration never been on any other cruiser that could touch that,just hit it at 50mph in 5th an watch the spedo go,lol

#57 ·
z50 :biggrin:

Seriously the CB750 was a great bike but the one that impressed me was a CB360. The people I knew that had them seemed to have no problems and they went about anywhere. Although one of my friends did learn they didn't corner to well at high speed on dirt and but his in a swamp, after that, it didn't run to well :D

#58 ·
Probably the venerable Honda Cub. 50 million sold since 1958 - the most mass-produced vehicle ever...more than the Ford Model T and VW Beetle put together .

The CB750 from 1969 was also an important bike from a technology standpoint and forever changed the standards for modern motorcycles.

#59 ·
Way earlier, it was OPed the '65 Stang and the 455 HO Firebird for cars. I have one of these (under construction) that I think was Fords shinning moment:

And as for the '69 455HO, Pontiac never had a 455 in '69 Firebird. They had 400's. (I have two ;))

Best Honda motorcycle?
Too many to list! For Honda sales, it has to be the CB 350 that started the motorcycle revolution in the United States. (they sold more than a million of them.)

Eric

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.