Motorcycle Forum banner

Suzi GT550...where to start?

19K views 80 replies 20 participants last post by  derrickjp7 
#1 ·
Looking back at your resto-experiences and "good ideas", where would you have started if you could start all over?

I'm at the beginning stage with a new-to-me 75 Indy. I'm the second owner of this great bike with only 24k on the clock. It has some obvious issues..starting with the gas tank. Beyond that, I imagine some cleaning and polishing is necessary.

This is my first project bike, so thanks for taking time to read this and provide feedback!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
There are a lot of articles to be found here dealing with the cleaning of a gas tank in your condition.

Do a search for "electrolysis" and you will find a lot of articles discussing electrolysis and other techniques for cleaning a rusted gas tank.

The link below is a good example of what is available:

http://www.motorcycleforum.com/showthread.php?t=123078&highlight=electrolysis.

Good Luck with your project! It appears to be in good overall condition for the beginning of a restore.

#4 ·
Get a tank, some fairing lowers. check the exhaust for rust, it may be completely rusted through, and you won't know until you try to remove it.
hope you didn't give alot for it.
.....good luck ,, I won't lie to you, it may take grands to fix it up.....

#5 ·
Yeah. I guess the photos aren't very revealing, but this bike is in really good condition. I've gone over the bike with a fine tooth comb and all it really needs is some cleaning. Can't see that costing much money. The crystallized fuel and slight oxidation have done little more than sit in the tank. I'm going to keep it original for a while. It belonged to a close friend and after he passed, the family gave it to me...so no, I didn't pay anything for it. Thanks for the input.

#6 ·
Brought the bike home today!

Yesterday my neighbors brought the title of my new-to-me bike over. It was really neat to see the original purchase on April 28, 1975 for $1795.00 plus $10.00 for registration. Along with the original paperwork, they gave me a Clymer manual and ALL the receipts of repair and maintenance inside the original owner's manual.

I brought the bike across the street to my house and set out to wash her down. Most of the surface was covered in dust. I got through the dust and washed her as best as I could and then used some tin foil to polish the chrome up. I was really surprised how well tinfoil works to polish chrome...and to think I was going to buy some chrome polish. I was really amazed at the quality of the paint on the bike. It's in really REALLY good condition. Almost no rust anywhere (only small signs of it here and there).

I went out shopping for stuff today, got some B8ES plugs, but going to take them back and put in B7ES plugs instead. I got some lacquer thinner and small ball bearings too. Gonna drain the gas tank and use the bearings and thinner to bust up the rust and old fuel. We'll see what the tank looks like before I worry about it too much.

I tucked her in with my Ducati in a new shed I built this weekend. I can't wait to really get into it!

Attachments

#10 ·
Tank is solid!

So I got the tank off and broke the old fuel line. No worries. I thought that might happen. Anyway. The I took the petcock off because the fuel wouldn't come out with it on prime. Probably all gummed up. The fuel drained nicely once I got it off. I just finished my first round of the hokey pokey, shaking it all about and the tank is super clean already!

Attachments

#56 ·
I would almost guarantee that what we are looking at is crystallized gasoline varnish and not rust at all. Lacquer thinner will dissolve that mess completely, and what is left will be other solids or maybe a little rust in the bottom of the tank.

There are other ways to clean it than $15.00 a gallon lacquer thinner, but I use the stuff for a quick test.

#12 ·
Changed the oil!

Today I managed to get the exhausts off, as well as breaking a bolt off in the engine...not sure how bad that is, but I'll figure it out. Once I got the exhaust pipes off, I drained the engine oil http://www.flickr.com/photos/119354928@N08/13093574293/in/photostream/
and was surprised to find it so fresh. When the drain plug came out, something fell out behind it. I wasn't expecting anything else to come out, so I wasn't ready for this, and now I don't know how it goes back in...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/119354928@N08/13093452345/in/photostream/

#45 ·
Today I managed to get the exhausts off, as well as breaking a bolt off in the engine...not sure how bad that is, but I'll figure it out. Once I got the exhaust pipes off, I drained the engine oil http://www.flickr.com/photos/119354928@N08/13093574293/in/photostream/
and was surprised to find it so fresh. When the drain plug came out, something fell out behind it. I wasn't expecting anything else to come out, so I wasn't ready for this, and now I don't know how it goes back in...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/119354928@N08/13093452345/in/photostream/
Just to point out a few items that you may not be aware of, being a Ducati owner, or any owner of a later model bike. Assuming you may not be old enough to realize, the oil you drained will be the transmission oil. The engine crank case has no oil in it. So before you fire this old dude up make sure you oil injection pump is functioning and the oil tank is full. Two strokes haven't been around for quite some time. Not everyone in todays world is familiar with them, so I'm just passing on a little info before you might seize a motor.

#14 ·
Yesterday was choc full of chaos, I don't remember if I tried to make it fit or not, but will see what I can figure it out tonight. Still gotta put some oil in there.

Got a tool kit and some new fuel line today. Not sure it's worth putting on right now. Seems as though there is a lot to do still...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/119354928@N08/13114905493/in/set-72157641809481374
What's the tool at the top for?

#18 ·
I love those old 70's cruisers...
My first steet bike was a Honda SS750-F gave $1400 straight up for it, It needed tires, didn't have a fairing, and was shall we say... well abused..
then after 1 year, spring came and I was going about 10mph on an unfinished culdesac and hit a pothole full of ice.... bike slid plates went into the gutter, over a large rock and busted open the case, bent the shaft and ruined my dreams of coasting home... well now I am old, and I just got a Yam XS1100, in worse shape than my 750 but the price was right. I have over 2 grand in it, its not quite done yet. remember, a motorcycle is only worth what someone will give you for it.

#19 · (Edited)
Thanks guys! Yeah, I know what you mean Yahmyxs. This bike will never be sold. It's a tribute to an old friend.

Today was rather productive for the limited time I had available. First off, some goodies came in the mail today!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/119354928@N08/13154531623/in/photostream/

Then I got to work on putting the tank back together, replacing the fuel line and airbox.

Before I put the tank back together, I decided to take the petcock apart and look inside:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/119354928@N08/13158503173/in/photostream/

So, I cleaned it out and put it back together, mounted the tank and the air filters and fuel line (which is only mocked up here)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/119354928@N08/13158505123/in/photostream/

Anyone else put K&Ns on their triple? How do you get the right side filter to mount flat? The housing for the CCI adjustment is in the way.

#20 ·
Just returned from a trip to Texas and now it's incredibly cold out. Just received a bunch of parts for the bike and really want to get out and put them on. I sent my Carbs off to a friends to get re-done. Not sure on the status of them yet. Going to get the exhausts cleaned up this weekend and pull the broken bolt off.
Does anyone know of a link to a parts fische for this bike? I'd like to get some new bolts for the exhausts...

#21 ·
Wait a minute- you removed the complete airbox and boot assembly for open K&N pods, but didn't re-jet? Or did you? How's it run now? I'm not a fan of removing stock air boxes on otherwise unmodified two strokes.

Please tell us that you're not going to reinstall the huge Windjammer fairing! That bike looks so classic and elegant without it.

#22 ·
The carbs are being done now. I kept the stock air set up and everything else I've replaced (cause I do that). I still haven't started the bike. Want to wait until everything is cleaned up and in good working order before I fire it up.

Honestly I love the windjammer, but I don't think it's going to make a return. When I took it off, I found a large crack in it and the bottom was damaged pretty good from what appear to be stress fractures.

Once I get it running, I'll enjoy the classic bike for a year or so, while I plan for it to lose some weight and undergo surgery to become a cafe bike.

#30 ·
Ok. Difficult, but not impossible. The problem is the hardness of the dang extractor broken off in the bolt. So, if you have a good, sharp punch then line it up very carefully in the center of the extractor and see if you can give it a good rap. All you need is a slight dimple in the surface for your smallest drill bit to seat in. Then it's just a matter of patiently drilling out the whole mess and running a tap through the threads to clean them up. If the threads are too far gone, you always have the option (which I've done on several occasions) of tapping the hole out to a standard 1/4 - 20 thread. It works fine.

#31 ·
Also, since your tank looked as bad as mine did when you first got it, I would STRONGLY suggest you put a simple in-line filter between your fuel petcock and the feed tube to your carbs. Just the smallest amount of gunk can plug some of your carbs' passageways. Here's a photo of Indy's fuel system. (He highly recommends it also!)

#32 ·
Also, as long as I'm babbling on about this . . . notice the "PRI" setting on your petcock. It (of course) stands for 'Prime' and allows fuel to flow into the carbs without the engine running. Why do I bring it up? Two reasons . . . one, when you first put fuel in for the initial start up, you'll need to set it on 'pri' and let the carbs fill up, and two, almost every time you start it after it has sat unused for a few days make sure and prime the carbs. It saves TONS of wear and tear on the starter motor . . . for reasons you can figure out on your own.

#34 ·
Also, as long as I'm babbling on about this . . . notice the "PRI" setting on your petcock...
How long should I let the bike sit in PRI? Few minutes, couple hours? Thanks!!

Just got wind that the carbs are done! WOO HOO! Now to see if I can get away from work for a couple days and go pick them up. Also, I was following along a post on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/193311764067324/ and saw a link to this...Not sure if it would be useful to anyone here...http://www.knalnaarpotz.nl/onderdelen/catalog/index.php?cPath=23_146_149&sort=2a&page=3

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.