Motorcycle Forum banner

neutral light/sensor

4K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  kyles_fxe 
#1 ·
mi bike has a neutral light but its not hooked up to anything i tryed looking on the tranny but didnt really see a sensor can someone tell me if it has one or maybe just where to look

i ride a 80 superglide fxe
its got the shovelhead with a 4 speed tranny

#2 ·
Offhand I can't remember if your FXE has a regular foot-shift transmission or a ratchet-top type, but I think a ratchet, yes? (Of course, I can't remember what I did yesterday for the most part either, but whatever.) Anyway, if it's foot-shift the neutral switch should be on the left, forward side of the transmission, and if it's a ratchet it should be more or less on the right side of the ratchet top. Assuming you have a HD transmission and not an aftermarket type.

In either case the powered wire from the switch to the light should be yellow. The ground wire coming off the light should be black. So if all else fails look for a cut yellow wire near the light and trace that back through the harness.

Of course, over 30 years of ownership some of the wires might have been patched and hacked, but that should give you a rough idea.

#5 ·
Okies, and cool. So you have a ratchet top transmission then. (Without looking stuff up I can never remember what year was what...) Just follow the wires, and / or replace as needed, and you should be okay. I've got some older wiring diagrams that I can dig out if you need them, and I'd guess Junker probably has them too, and probably more complete ones. Let us know what you need and betwixt the two of us we can probably steer you in the right direction.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.