Motorcycle Forum banner

How do you deal with hard water?

6K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  Unkle Krusty 
#1 · (Edited)
I have very hard water where I live so I need to find a solution or spend 15 bucks at the local wash place to clean up.

Are any of the "Waterless" Wash systems any good?

#4 ·
I use a chamois to dry our bikes with after washing. We have well water & it is VERY hard. If I chamois them there is never any spots...unless I miss a spot. If I don't chamois them then I just should not have washed them...they probably looked better before. I use that on our car, truck & jeep too.

#8 ·
Mr. Clean sells a car wash kit with a filter that softens the rinse water. Not a cheap date:

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Clean-AutoDry-Wash-System/dp/B0016GXL6C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1416491138&sr=8-1&keywords=mr+clean+car+wash+system[/ame]

#9 ·
I installed a separate water spigot near the driveway connected to the water softener. Specifically for washing cars, etc. I also made sure there was an easy access valve in the basement to turn it off so the grandkids can't waste the softened water while playing water games in the summer. Has anyone else noticed the price of salt starting to creep up?:confused:

#10 ·
In reference to "hard water," you could use "water softeners" if you want.........but the whole thing about "washing the bike" is sorta mute if you don't do extreme riding.

In other words, if all you are doing is riding a daily commute, and typical recreational use on paved roads, then the need to wash your bike is minimal.

Bugs off the windshield, and forward-facing components; water splashes from road puddles you didn't have much choice in hitting; road tar from recently filled potholes that spit up on your frame.........that's about it really; and there are good basic spray-bottle cleansers out there for that stuff.

What's really amazing about typical bike use is, that you can do your daily commute (presuming you only ride in good weather) and some typical Sat/Sun daily recreational rides (on normal roads), and your bike will maintain its great look (barring no accidents of course) for a long time.

-Soupy

#13 ·
I don't wash my bike, I wipe it down as needed. I don't ride in freezing weather, because that is my choice. I don't ride in rain or any kind of nasty weather because that is how I ride. I ride what would be called naked. Wind in my face, sometimes a helmet, sometimes not. It's optional here. I don't ride to see how many miles I can rack up on my odometer, but how many smiles I can find. I wax it and treat the leather three or four times a month during riding season. I don't do rallies, I don't do group rides, and I don't do heated anything. When the weather turns cold and snowy or icy, it's sits hooked up to the battery tender with a cover over it.

#14 ·
Water

My bikes get filthy from all the **** on the road. I use my pressure washer, being careful where I aim, and how close I get to some parts.
My water comes from 300 feet down my 350 foot well. I have plenty of water on an Island where many folks can not get enough.
Two main problems are sulfur and iron. The sulfur can be smelled, and the iron makes your hair go red. I have neither, so drink it straight.
I would describe it leaning towards the soft side, rather than the hard.

Unkle Crusty*

#15 ·
I keep a spray bottle of soap and water mixture in garage and spray down areas that get bug splats after each ride. I never have to use the hose. Then dry it off with a nice soft detailing cloth, place the multiple layers of covers over my bike, plug the battery tender back in and close the garage doors.

Hard water stains are an easy clean with SOS pads on stainless steal and chrome. Little water and elbow grease and hard water stains remove nicely. also works well on glass surfaces. Recently cleaned my shower unit that has a blue glass back ground with stainless steal jets, handle and where water comes out. Hard water from well water caused alot of dried water spots all over the unit. Got most of it cleaned off with the exceptions where I didn't use enough elbow grease that I have to re clean with the SOS pad.

Also works good on chromed plastic finishes on my truck on front grill and mirror covers. Probably would work well on clear coat finishes if you use enough water and go light enough as you don't cause marks in clear coat. Though I would practice on a very small area first and go easy when it comes to painted surfaces with clear coat.

Also sometimes use airline to blow off moisture or dirt that gets in the tight spots. Airline works well on filters and blowing out filter box. Alcohol and cotton balls I use on manifolds to clean off black soot. SOS pads also do a great job cleaning off any black soot on ends of chrome and stainless steal pipes.

#17 ·
My bike only gets detailed about 2 times a year. Once in the spring when it comes out of storage and once in the fall when I goes back into hibernation.

Throughout the season, I do an occasionaly quick hose down and sponge. We have hard water issues here also, I just use a microfiber towel to dry it off and that negates most of the spotting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.