Motorcycle Forum banner

Fat Front Tire?

26K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  murphyshuman 
#1 ·
So in my quest for the "perfect" bike (and I'm just going by aesthetics here, not reality or performance!) I came across something that got me drooling a little, but I started to wonder if it's really feasible or not.

Fat front tires!

Now, the rest of that bike is just "ok" to me...I prefer a different body style, but I loved the look of the tires.

However, since I've never seen a bike with such a fat front tire, it begs the question...why not? Is the handling worse? Is it less safe? Less stable? Just plain more expensive? I have about a million theories as to *why* motorcycles aren't built this way, but I don't have the knowledge to really understand why for sure.

Anyone care to enlighten me? :D

#5 ·
Lots of bikes are built more as a form of art work as opposed to functional street bikes. That bike is styled after a drag bike and would be good for little else.
When I go to bike shows I admire the work that went into those custom choppers but would never own one unless I just wanted to hang it on the wall.

#20 ·
It's funny as heck to see the guys ride customs like that. I've seen them at BikeWeek, duckwalking around corners because either no clearance or the handling is total ****.

From experience, I can tell you going even one size over (from 100/90 to 110/90) can make a bike feel like a truck in a corner. From that experience I've used the knowledge to pick up the handling quickness and turn in by going down in profile (110/80 to 110/70) and also went smaller in width to quicken handling on a standard Gold Wing (from a 120/90 to a 110/90).

If you can afford to sacrifice for the look, that's peachy. If not, it hoses up handling - a lot... as was said.

#12 ·
Im just waiting to see some trailer queen with a 300 on the front, and a 120 on the back.....you know somebody is bound to do it sooner or later. Launching some stupid new tire fad. HAHAHA

I have to admit, the wide tire front ends like the exile bikes do look nice, but I cant imagine what riding one is like.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.