Motorcycle Forum banner

Dogs really ARE dumb enough to run into you

18K views 95 replies 56 participants last post by  Koda Coyote 
#1 ·
I still have some adrenaline in my system so forgive me if I'm a little incoherent. Just got back from an "incident" where I hit a dog and I'm still amazed I didn't go down.

I was on a 2-lane road, 35mph. It's a busy through-street with subdivisions all around. Up ahead I saw a couple of cars stopped in my lane, so I pulled up behind them and saw that someone had a dog (illegally) off leash and the dog was in the road. The dog finally went back to it's owner on the sidewalk, so the cars took off, and I followed behind them.

The next instant I see a dog homing in on me and I have about 1/10th of a second to think. In that instant, I remembered the MSF advice about dogs -- slow down, then speed up as they approach so their intercept vector is thrown off. Only, I had no time to slow down or speed up, so that option was out. I could have swerved, but all I could think of was hitting the dog while leaned over and lowsiding so I rejected that option.

What I did do is let off the throttle (I was only going like 15-20) and steer straight. I almost hate to admit it, but it didn't occur to me to brake -- in retrospect I don't think I could have gotten on the brake fast enough to make a difference anyway. And at some subconscious level, my brain said "no way that dog is dumb enough to hit me" so perhaps that's why I didn't go for the binders.

In any case, my brain was completely and utterly wrong, because the next thing I know I hear a yelp and my handlebar spontaneously turned left almost to the lock.

It was one of those classic, "so this is it, I'm going to die" moments that I hope never to experience again. The feeling of total helplessness as I was no longer in control of my motorcycle nor my fate. Somehow though, the Ninja recovered... through either hand of a Kawasaki engineer or perhaps the hand of God, she stayed up after shaking her head at someone's stupidity (either the dog, or the dog owner's, or my own).

As I pulled over and stopped, my first thought was remorse over killing somebody's pet but that didn't last long as the dog ran down the road in front of me and the owner (teenage male) tore off after him. Remorse turned to anger as I envisioned the skin I almost left on the road and the damage that would have occurred to my bike.

I got off to calm down and wait for the owner to return so I could ask if the dog was ok, but he never did. I stuck around for a while but the dog and owner had turned off some side road which led into a rat maze subdivision so I had no idea where they went.

So, my mistake was not regarding the dog as a threat after it left the road. I assumed that owner had control of it at that point and we all know what happens when you assume. That's mistake number 1, which led to mistakes 2 and 3 which were failing to go slower and cover the brake. Mistake number 4 was not believing a dog really is dumb enough to try to bite my front tire. I'm still in shock that any animal has such low instincts of self-preservation that evolution would allow it to survive long enough to breed. But, next time I'll recognize dogs for what they are -- homing missiles.

So, I still feel bad about (possibly) hurting the dog, but on the other hand, what was that kid thinking when he chose to break the city leash law on a busy 35mph road?

Ugh. Way to ruin a nice weekend morning ride.

See less See more
#73 ·
i had a dog run in 2yrs ago. i was going about 75 thur some s-curves on a county road at night when a brown streak collided with me. turns out that it was a full grown lab, luckily i only clipped it! i basically kicked the dog at 75mph, crushed its skull with my foot, ripped off my shifter and foot peg but managed to stay up. so i just kept going,stopped my friends house on the way home since i could barely ride and stuck in 6th gear, got him to take me home. got lucky again in that it didnt break my ankle but had to wear a boot for 2 wks.

#77 ·
zmoney
Whoever told you dogs are smart? They are dumb. Cats are smart.
I think deer are smart too. It's humans who are dumb, and live in the rat race their entire life. (I got lucky and got out of it.)
But dogs? Look at a dog chasing a car. What's he going to do with it when he catches it? Nothing. Seems dumb to me.
dc

#81 ·
I saw a dog once that chased a parked car and caught it. Seems a whole breed was created. I think they call 'em Bull Dogs. Fitting don't ya think? Named after an animal that has the habit of not only chasing but slamming head long into immovable objects. Don't get me wrong....I love dogs....there so loyal and obedient. I should get another one someday but, not one that looks like it's been chasing parked cars and caught a few. Guess I'll keep the cat for now. :thumbsup:
Capt.

#78 ·
I think that dogs are smarter than some people....:D

And every dog I ever owned...never chased a vehicle of any kind!

#80 ·
Man, as a dog lover I don't know how I would feel if I killed someones dog. I mean, it would suck, but it would still be terrible. Never hit a dog in my car or on my bike, but had a couple close calls in the car.

#82 ·
im still gaining experience as a rider. ive heard stores besides these. ive still yet to have a problem with dogs, but birds are what make me nervous. out of all the cars and trucks ive drove i hit tons of birds. speed has never mattered ive done it while speeding doing the speed limit and driving slow.my buddy at work said it was the **** squirrels.
now with dogs i have seen dogs dumb enough to bite just about any tire. its never mattered how big or small rather is its on a 96 crown victoria police interceptor or a caterpillar model 950 (5ft tires)

#84 ·
One that i forgot to mention here the other day, was my mothers friend. years ago back home at the farm my parents had a party. well Clint my mothers friend rode up. just down the from my parents farm the neighbors dog ran up beside him and started nipping at his leg. so what happened? he reached for the knife clipped to his pants pocket and stabbed the dog. the dog backed off and he lost his knife too.

#85 ·
I work as a part time mechanic at a small engine shop...we own this dog, his name is doug and this dog is a pug. he has been hit by 2 trucks and 1 sled so far, worst injury he ever recieved is a broken leg. Now he is healed and he still thinks he can win a game of chicken with anything that has a motor!

#87 ·
This is straight out of my motorcycle handbook that you get to study for the motorcycle test.... "Motorcycles seem to attract dogs. If a dog chases your motorcycle, you should slow down, and downshift. Then, as the dog approaches, accelerate away. Do not attempt to kick at the dog since this may affect your ability to keep control of the motorcycle." I thought the kicking dog part was kinda funny.

#89 · (Edited)
Deer Hit Me

I was on patrol one night and as I'm driving down the road in the squad I noticed a deer in the median. She was eating grass so I continued on cautiously. All of a sudden she is charging at me, I see her approching on the left and felt and heard a thump as she hit me in the left rear door. I pulled over to check her out and I saw her get up and run off the road.

I have been to a number of vehicle vs deer accidents, unfortunaly the deer is dead or near dead and has to be put out of their misery and the car is totaled. In our county we have had people killed in deer auto accidents. Hitting animals can be very dangerous, so can swerving to try and miss them, many people lose control of their car and cause an accident.

The moral of the story is: when on your bike be careful and keep your eyes moving at all times.

Steve - Drive Careful and Have Fun

#93 · (Edited)
Yep today I was in my neighbor hood going slow about a block from my house. I saw an open garage door, out came this rotty, and bam he ran right into the left side highway bars. I was doing about 10 to 15. Dog rolled about two times, it barely shook me. I stopped and the owner came out. I had my helmet off and said I was sorry. The dog was ok, but being very sheepish at that point. The owner apolojised, and said she saw it happen and it was not my fault. I got her number and gave her mine. I have insurance if the dog dies suddenley. It seemed fine other than not wanting anything to do with my MC.

I guess we will see. I did file a report with metro. The lady didn't want to. I just went to the nearest station and filed the report. I figured I had to protect myself legaly.

People who live on streets in cities need to keep their dogs undercontrol. Hell if I was on a 250 or a moped or a totegoat I could have been killed. My big ACE just kinda went umpf and kept going. No damage to my bike that I can see other than a small patch of dog hair. Oh I did have a small issue with my underware when I got home

#95 ·
The pet owner is 100% at fault.
If YOU got hurt, they are responsible for the cost of your medical treatments and all repairs to your bike.
The pet owner, will now be getting a visit from animal control. :thumbsup:
THAT is why she did not want you to file a report.
Not necessarily any concern about YOU.

Eric

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.