Motorcycle Forum banner

Dogs really ARE dumb enough to run into you

18K views 95 replies 56 participants last post by  Koda Coyote 
#1 ·
I still have some adrenaline in my system so forgive me if I'm a little incoherent. Just got back from an "incident" where I hit a dog and I'm still amazed I didn't go down.

I was on a 2-lane road, 35mph. It's a busy through-street with subdivisions all around. Up ahead I saw a couple of cars stopped in my lane, so I pulled up behind them and saw that someone had a dog (illegally) off leash and the dog was in the road. The dog finally went back to it's owner on the sidewalk, so the cars took off, and I followed behind them.

The next instant I see a dog homing in on me and I have about 1/10th of a second to think. In that instant, I remembered the MSF advice about dogs -- slow down, then speed up as they approach so their intercept vector is thrown off. Only, I had no time to slow down or speed up, so that option was out. I could have swerved, but all I could think of was hitting the dog while leaned over and lowsiding so I rejected that option.

What I did do is let off the throttle (I was only going like 15-20) and steer straight. I almost hate to admit it, but it didn't occur to me to brake -- in retrospect I don't think I could have gotten on the brake fast enough to make a difference anyway. And at some subconscious level, my brain said "no way that dog is dumb enough to hit me" so perhaps that's why I didn't go for the binders.

In any case, my brain was completely and utterly wrong, because the next thing I know I hear a yelp and my handlebar spontaneously turned left almost to the lock.

It was one of those classic, "so this is it, I'm going to die" moments that I hope never to experience again. The feeling of total helplessness as I was no longer in control of my motorcycle nor my fate. Somehow though, the Ninja recovered... through either hand of a Kawasaki engineer or perhaps the hand of God, she stayed up after shaking her head at someone's stupidity (either the dog, or the dog owner's, or my own).

As I pulled over and stopped, my first thought was remorse over killing somebody's pet but that didn't last long as the dog ran down the road in front of me and the owner (teenage male) tore off after him. Remorse turned to anger as I envisioned the skin I almost left on the road and the damage that would have occurred to my bike.

I got off to calm down and wait for the owner to return so I could ask if the dog was ok, but he never did. I stuck around for a while but the dog and owner had turned off some side road which led into a rat maze subdivision so I had no idea where they went.

So, my mistake was not regarding the dog as a threat after it left the road. I assumed that owner had control of it at that point and we all know what happens when you assume. That's mistake number 1, which led to mistakes 2 and 3 which were failing to go slower and cover the brake. Mistake number 4 was not believing a dog really is dumb enough to try to bite my front tire. I'm still in shock that any animal has such low instincts of self-preservation that evolution would allow it to survive long enough to breed. But, next time I'll recognize dogs for what they are -- homing missiles.

So, I still feel bad about (possibly) hurting the dog, but on the other hand, what was that kid thinking when he chose to break the city leash law on a busy 35mph road?

Ugh. Way to ruin a nice weekend morning ride.

See less See more
#36 ·
The thing I don't understand about deer is, shouldn't they have some sort of predator response? It seems like running in front of a predator would be a bad idea.

We were shooting trap last pheasant season and a deer wanders out in the field (100 yards away or so, well out of shotgun range with birdshot). With 7 12 gauge shotguns going off at once, he just stood there watching us intently. They're really dumb.

Haven't hit a dog yet, but I've had a few run next to me. If they're already next to you I find it best to speed up and just go faster than they can until they leave.

#45 · (Edited)
Omg

I have the worst luck selling bikes. I mean. The people who buy them from me do anyway. The first bike I sold was my little 74' CB200 Honda street bike. Fun little bike. Sold it to a 17 year old kid, not three days latter he hit a Rottweiler going around a turn on some hick country road. Little ****s parents asked for the money back from me with the forks bent under the bike.

Next bike I sold was a 78' Suzuki GS750. Two weeks later the guy got rear ended at a light.

Both of them lived but I am kinda scared to sell em now. Think I might be cursed.

I have to think a deer would be instant death for a rider. They are just at the right height to catch the rider and not a whole lot of the bike. I have never hit anything larger then a stag beetle on my any of my bikes. Had to pick that one out of my shoulder by the way, ouch. I was riding with a guy who caught a bird in the chest though. It knocked the wind out of him and he very nearly went down because of it. Dangerous beasties out there.

#47 ·
I havent' been chased by a dog on my scooter yet, but my bicycle has been a dog magnet.

Last summer I'd always ride through this dog infested neighborhood. The really mean dogs were behind fences, so at worst I'd jump when the barked as I rode by. One particular day though, there were kids outside playing with their dog. It was a nicer dog, but one of the young small ones who think they can take on anything. I heard them early on, so I knew that something might happen. As I come up to them playing (they were on the other side of the street), the dog just stops and looks up at me. I knew at this point I was in for a race.

I see him dart across the road way on a beeline for me on my bicycle, so I drop it a gear and put my back into it. I stopped looking at the dog as the kids start yelling at it. After I crested a near by hill, I easily out-paced the dog and got away clean.

I never assume a dog will stay put. This goes double for children (wound up with a bent derailer from one -- kid was fine).

#48 ·
Man, I'd waste a dog in a heartbeat, guess that comes from being bitten by a doberman when I was 6 riding my first bicycle. But some years back I got even. It was dark, early morning ride to work, pitch black, I was going down the road in a 49 Dodge PU and this doberman ran in front of me misguaging my tire I guess, was hit by the bumper square, and ....launched..... I dont even know how far........yay, he he he. No I didn't do it on pourpose, but I wasn't distressed either. Had to wash poop off the front where it got unloaded, but the Dodge didn't feel a thing. On a bike, I know where the dogs are, so I know where to avoid.

#52 ·
If it makes you feel any better you did the right thing by not trying to turn AND by not braking. High siding would have been very easy to do when braking.

I think you made the correct decision and I guess it is a good thing the dog wasn't killed. Hope the owner at least took it in to get looked at by the Vet though.

#53 ·
A few years ago, I hit a dog. I was in a residential area, going slow(10-15) just killing time. I saw the dog coming from the right. I really thought he would go after my leg, but he went right into the front wheel. Next thing I knew, I was airborne. I was in mid air with my arms stretched out in front of me when I realized that was not how I wanted to land. Just tucked and landed on my shoulder and rolled. A little scratched up, and the bike was scratched pretty bad, but could have been worse. The owners saw it all and helped me get cleaned up, apologised, and ended up paying for damages(leash law).
I hope that's the last time I hit anything.

#54 ·
Lesson learned, next time speed up. :)

I love animals of all kinds but I will not shed a tear if I hit one....especially if it runs out in front of me and/or my bike. While I don't want to hit any animal and/or kill one, I won't be sad if I do.

#56 ·
wow.. someone else had pretty much this exact thread involving a dog named "pop tart" just the other day. in which, i responded about almost plowing into a suicidal cat the other night.. kinda sucked... but it got out of the way pretty quick...

i also mentioned that, i love dogs... i own two.... but, if a dog ran out in front of me, i'd probably just plow it down if it meant me wrecking my bike.. sad as that sounds, it's the truth. the owner won't pay my medical bills, or for the damages to my vintage bike, so.. the dog must die if thats what it takes fir me to stay vertical... but obviously, i'd TRY to avoid it if i can.... but not going to run into a curb or an oncoming car trying to save the dog....

and i feel that since i've pre-determined that in my mind, if (when) the situation comes up, i'll know exactly what to do...

i did have a dog come running after me a few weeks ago though, but the owners were outside and controlled it... it came at me from behind and couldn't catch me anyway.

#60 ·
I haven't had any issues with dogs but I have had three close calls with deer and at least 3 others with birds. Luckily I have not actually hit any of the deer but they sure are good at scaring me.

The oddest experience was with a flock of turkey vulture several years ago in California. The road was narrow and there was a cliff face off to the left. I was leading and I noticed something black moving in the ditch. Then one after the other these huge birds took off across the road.

They got to about chest high as they crossed the centerline. A bunch of them had taken off and I was watching what I thought was the last one when I turned my attention back to the road I realized I had one nearly in my lap.

It was right against my windshield and the down stroke of the wing brushed down my face. When we stopped the 2 people riding right behind me said that it looked like I never even reacted. The fact was I was barely touching the handlebars I was leaning back so far. What a huge bird and very intimidating up close, I certainly wasn't about to grab it.

Last year at a rest stop in Montana and met a fellow who was just getting back underway after he cleaned himself up following a collision with a hawk or crow (he wasn't sure which he had hit). The impact left his windshield in shards and he got a broken nose and a cut on the face.

When touring everyone like seeing wildlife - we just don't want to actually meet it.

#61 ·
I was driving my GF's brand new pontiac soltice. There was an 8 ft high mountain side to my right. Next thing I know the deer has jumped through the windshield. It's bleeding profusely all over me and the car freaking out... Kicked me in the face a few times. I have a concealed weapon permit so when I finally stopped I got out and the thing was impaled with an 8 inch piece of glass glass through the neck. I had to shoot it right there with my .38 special. Needless to say the GF wasn't as upset about the broken windshield and dented hood as much as the deer brains all over the interior XD.

#62 ·
I was driving my GF's brand new pontiac soltice. There was an 8 ft high mountain side to my right. Next thing I know the deer has jumped through the windshield. It's bleeding profusely all over me and the car freaking out... Kicked me in the face a few times. I have a concealed weapon permit so when I finally stopped I got out and the thing was impaled with an 8 inch piece of glass glass through the neck. I had to shoot it right there with my .38 special. Needless to say the GF wasn't as upset about the broken windshield and dented hood as much as the deer brains all over the interior XD.
Why didn't you shoot from the inside???? :confused:
Should have been an autonomic reaction.
And why did they give you a CCP? Did they test you?

Just sayin'...

Eric :confused:

#63 · (Edited)
In NC you can apply for a CCP when you turn 18 and take a class. You also have to have 1 person who will testify for your good character.

And when a deer is kicking you in the face and there's blood in your eyes, you get out faster than you blow an animals brains out. lol I was kinda hopin it would just die. So I got out. But I do understand the question =]

#67 ·
Dumb Dog?

Sounds to me like there are three dumb animals a dog , a young man that ownes the dog,and yourself for not giving yourself enough space to react. Niether of my dogs ran after cars motorcycles or other wise its all in how they are raised. Sorry to hear that your ride was disrupted Buddy how ever your thread suggests that all dogs are not dumb dogs are smart there only taught bad behavor as a result of lack of resonabilty of the owner. Both my dogs were abandon and abused pitbulls and at first they had very bad behavor patterns. good luck next time suggsetion if you cant slow and speed up split lanes and speed up and slow down . I did something simaler and got a ticket for my action the officer that I spoke to with respect understood told me to show up for court and he would decline the ticket . The judge decide since the officer had my back in this case he would dismiss the charge.That same judge said he would throw the book at me the next time he saw my in his court room.

#68 ·
Just like anybody who has spent much time in the saddle I've had my encounters with critters. Dogs dumb enough to come at you, IMO, deserve whatever is dealt them. I, like most, slow down with size 12 boot cocked, aim as best I can and let 'em have it. At which point I can accelerator and hopefully avoid a collision.
I have a buddy who was riding with his wife two up in upstate NY on a rural road near Lake Champlain when a dog shot out from the side of the road. He braked as best he could but hit the dog anyway. They were riding a heavy touring bike but the impact still launched them onto the road at about 40 MPH. They both spent about a month in the hospital. He still rides but, now he does it alone. So far, with about 40 yrs. of riding under my belt all over this country, I've not been dumped onto the road by an animal....close a few times but, so far so good. You never know, could be tomorrow. Best you can do is keep your wits and pay attention to whats around at all times.

#69 ·
Sorry you had to endure such a close encounter. It was very admirable of you to stick around and check on the welfare of the dog, even though you were definitely no obligated to do that. And thank God you were able to recover control; because in that "moment" of self realization you DO feel theres nothing you can do other than just take what's coming. I think the kid took off and never came back because he realizes how much legal trouble he could have put himself or his family in had you went down. It was actually a form of hit-and-run if you think about it. That is very common here in S. Florida, and so are pit bulls. I'm very relieved to read that you are in good health.

and I agree with Capt. Any dog dumb enough to put themselves in harms way is asking for it. Call it "God's will".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.