Motorcycle Forum banner

Myrtle Beach bike week

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  murphyshuman 
#1 ·
Okay, my wife and I just got back from a long weekend in Myrtle Beach and had the opportunity to be there during bikefest. We opted not to ride down due to weather and the fact that my wife hasn't yet done a trip longer than 100 miles. Anyway, we couldn't help but notice that not only was no one wearing any gear whatsoever, but that many were riding in shorts, no shirt, flip flops or tennis shoes (untied of course, wouldn't want them to actually stay on your feet) with their helmets, if they had one, securely fastened to the bike. Also noticable was the plethura of large women wearing thongs while riding on the back of a crotch rocket, I don't mean a thong under the pants, I mean just a thong! this is a mental picture that I hope someday will disappear. We also couldn't help but notice that much more care was taken to make the bikes look sharp (a matter of opinion) than to actually have done any maintenance. I have never seen more rusty chains and leaking fluids. I also have to wonder about stretching and lowering a bike to the point where you can't lean and the plastics drag the ground. Is this what motorcycling has become? I am absolutely certain that had we taken our bikes, a Triumph Sprint 1050 and a 675 Street Triple, that we would have been ostracised. Nothing more, just had to rant and get the vision out of my head!

#2 ·
Eh, it happens at every bike rally. Jackassery at its best....90 percent of people who frequent events like that are there for the wrong reasons. Don't get me wrong, I love when someone checks out my bike because it looks good but that isn't why I own it, I own it to ride it not to impress some skank(thats what the scarab is for :) )

#3 ·
Last week I was at a bike show and stunt show in Mandan ND. Although there were plenty of very pretty but barely functional bikes, the show was at a KTM dealership so there were alot of very functional bikes in attendance as well. One of the bikes that got the most attention was a 1946 Norton that a guy rode to the show. A nice mix of people. No thongs that I noticed, but it was still a bit cold for that level of outerwear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.