Motorcycle Forum banner

Helmet fogging up

8K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Queeniefordes 
#1 ·
Just a quick question.

I suppose I'm in a unique situation in that half of my riding is a commute at 6am with it around 40-degrees outside (having just taken a shower with damp hair and stuffing a fully heated head into a full-face helmet with the shield fully closed to keep my face from turning numb). But I can't find a product that keeps my full-face shield from fogging up for much of my ride so I end up having to open it a crack and freeze half of the time.

I've tried a couple pretty common anti-fogging items that didn't work at all. I'm now using a product called Cat **** that works better, but still doesn't work all that well (just seems to have patches of areas that don't fog).

Has anyone solved the fogging problem and I'm just behind the times since I've never had anyone to ask? Has anyone tried some of those HJC anti-fog pinlock lens inserts? Or another product that I'm missing out there?

As a side note, for those who ride in the rain, I have found that cleaning the front of my face shield with Lemon Fresh Pledge works great to cause the rain to roll off of the shield and keep visibility clear. Of course you need to apply it almost on a daily basis in order to keep the slick surface slick if it is raining all week.

See less See more
#2 ·
Wash your hair the night before and wear the helmet with a dry head.The moisture inside an enclosed helmet with the head generating heat is causing the fogging. With that much moisture I would doubt if anything will work well. Of course I don't have any hair so I could be totally in a fog here!

#3 ·
Not a bad thought. It would be a break in my routine to shower the night before, and with a full head of hair I can't help but wonder if I wouldn't get a little "bed head" the next day at work. But hey, I'm willing to give it a try and do a little "pilot test" next week.

#4 ·
I got a HJC isc 16 the one with the internal visor it was fog proof to the extream that is un tell I washed the inside now I have to use the green slimy stuff you use for eye glasses it works great but does have a slight sheen in bright light. I will have to check the label to see what it is called.
Man I wish I know what HJC uses on there lenses it it great stuff that is as long as you dont wash it off with dish soap.

#8 ·
Man I wish I know what HJC uses on there lenses it it great stuff that is as long as you dont wash it off with dish soap.
doh - it's not the soap that damaged your screen, you must've rubbed it with a cloth - that's what ruins the coating.
soapy water, rinse, dry naturally, it'll be fine.

try buffing the inside of your standard screen with green swarfega (workshop soap)
i guarantee you it will not fog up, at all, but will need re-applying weekly.

i get my visors and pinlock inserts here http://www.racevisors.co.uk - you can see what's available there, you can convert almost any helmet with an aftermarket pinlock anti-fog system.

on the outside, i use autoglym car bodywork wax, same as the lemon pledge, stops water (and flies) spoiling the view.

#9 · (Edited)
I've never tried this on a plastic lens before but it works miraculously on a glass wind shield, RainX, they also make a product for anti fogging. If it works even half as good as the rain product your problems will be solved. I lived in south Fl. for 36 years and when it rains it's like nothing you've ever experienced unless you live there. The windshield wiper motor on my Z71 Chevy pickup died and I drove for 3 years without wipers by using RainX. And in the summer there it rains every day without fail and I never missed them. It works so well it works better the harder it rains, but be prepared, it can be very distracting wondering at how the water just flies off.

But I suggest reading the label to make sure it's safe for plastic lenses before using. Hope this helps.

The problem I have found with using wax as mentioned above is they smear, never try that on your vehicle's windshield, you will see why the first time you turn on your wipers.

#10 ·
I used this stuff over the past winter:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r4/clarity-defog-it/

It works better than anything I've tried to date, but is not the be all to end all. You have to apply it just right, and it takes some experimentation to get it right. When you do, it works fairly well. I have to use this for my eye glasses.

I've been meaning to try a pinlock or a fog city insert, just haven't gotten around to it.

#12 ·
I've had good luck with smearing a few drops of Dawn dishwashing detergent on the inside of my shield by hand and then buffing it off with a microfiber towel. It's what I use on the outside of the shield too.

When all else fails, I crack my shield up one click and have no issues.

#13 ·
I've had good luck with smearing a few drops of Dawn dishwashing detergent on the inside of my shield by hand and then buffing it off with a microfiber towel. It's what I use on the outside of the shield too.

When all else fails, I crack my shield up one click and have no issues.
I would be very carefull with this product, it's loaded with chemicals designed to break down petrolium products and will eventually reek havoc with the plastic shield if not rinsed off. Found this out the hard way, in a pinch used it as a lubricant to pull gasoline and oil resistant THHN stranded electrical wires through conduit once (many moons ago) and it ate right through the insulation and disolved the copper wiring. This caused an electrical short and had to replace the wiring (used the correct pulling lubricant this time), only to have the same problem repeated. Had to again remove the damaged wiring, rinse out the soap with a garden hose, then replace the wires, problem solved.

Just a word to the wise.

#15 ·
I have had problems with helmet fog in the past. This is how I solved it:
1. Take the visor off of your helmet by removing the screws located at the ends of the visor.

2. Place a dab of any dish washing liquid onto the wash rag, and wipe it all over the front and back of the visor. Make sure you get everything: this is what makes the visor anti-fog.

3. Wash off the visor with water, getting all of the bubbles off and let it dry.

4. Put the visor back onto the helmet.
That's how to solve it.But this is just a temporary solution. You have to do this procedure at least every 2 days. If you want a permanent solution, Try buying an anti-fog visor insert. there's a lot of them in the market, but I highly recommend WeePro anti-fog visor. I am currently using it, and it sure does it job.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.