Motorcycle Forum banner

Diagnosing two noises

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  67fire 
#1 ·
I'm not sure if either are normal but I heard two noises while I rode my bike slow speed around the driveway just now.

The first is while standing still and idling. It's a ticking sound. It sounds sort of like fuel injectors on a car but instead of a constant and regular clicking, it was irregular and it was coming from toward the front of the engine.

The second was the chain. I've heard chains can make noise but I really have no experience with what the noises are and if it's a problem. I'm going to have a go at lubricating the chain this weekend to see if it cures it but I was wondering if anyone knows what I should be looking for.

#2 ·
With the engine off and the bike in neutral, put it on a rear stand and spin the back wheel as fast and hard as you can. If the chain is making any noise you should hear it. A little "gear noise" (as I call it) is normal, but anything that sounds squeaky or scraping or metal on metal grinding is not and should be looked at.

As for the ticking sound, you got me on that one. Kawasaki's are kind of known for their noisy yet harmless top ends and mine certainly talks a lot, but all the ticking sounds are consistent with the engine speed. Don't know what kind of bike you have, but maybe its just the warming up phase (kind of how your bike ticks for a few mins on cool down right after you shut her off, but the opposite obviously). After she's all warmed up, if its still happening, I'd be concerned...

#3 ·
Thanks. It's an '07 650R, FYI.

I need to borrow a rear stand. I don't have one but once I do I'll give that a shot.

I'll wait to see if that ticking sound occurs after I ride it a while and it's good and warm.

I asked the dealer to change the oil before I picked it up but I have no proof that they did. I'm going to see if the filter is new. If it isn't, I'll be changing it.

#4 ·
Hmm, that was my first bike. I had a red one. LOVED it...great bike. It never made any strange noises though and it had 16k on it when I sold it. I did all the scheduled maintenance and used fully synthetic oil. The valvetrain on the 650 was much quieter than my current 09 ZX6R, though...food for thought...I'd get it looked at. Make sure your oil isn't low too...

#5 ·
How many miles on the chain and sprockets? Check your slack in the chain to see if it needs adjustment. A loose chain will make noise. So will a worn chain and sprockets.
Check your oil to see if it is at the requird level, also. They may have changed it and left it low unintentionally.

#7 ·
Your chain probly needs an adjustment. If you are hearing a "ticking" sound that could just be the valves. If your chain has absolutely "no slack" thats not good, there should be a little play in it, check specs for your bike to find out exactly how much.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.