Motorcycle Forum banner

Motorcycle camping

4K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  Weebel 
#1 · (Edited)
I love camping. I am a teacher and I'm off during the summer (except those summers I take a summer job- maybe 1/3 of my summers). One of the things I had in mind when buying a bike is possibly taking a cross country tour in the next 2-3 years, after some experience. In the meantime, I'm thinking about some weekend (first) and week long (later) camping trips, possibly starting with a short trip sometime this summer (take a weekend and go somewhere that is just 2-4 hours away). I may also take it on a non-camping weekend trip or two and to see family out of state as well (just to get some travel experience on it).

How many here have done motorcycle camping? What gear that you may "need" when car camping have you left behind when motorcycle camping? With all the stuff out there for backpackers there are plenty of small scale versions of camp gear, however backpackers need to worry about weight (won't be too big a deal on the bike) and minimizing weight adds to the cost of backpacking gear. What do you take with you, and do you try to squeeze regular camp gear into your bags, or do you spend extra for the unneeded weight savings to have the smaller sized backpacking gear?

I assume I pretty much need a tail bag. My tents (a nice 4 person Alps Mountaineering 3-season tent, and a cheap Bass Pro Shops house brand 4 person 4-season tent) will definitely not fit into my saddlebags. They may fit into a tail bag, though I assume I'd be better off with a 2 or 3 person backpacking tent (gee darn, an excuse to buy another tent :D ). I could always add storage by wearing a lightweight backpack, but that would prevent air circulation and my back would probably start to get a bit too warm. For travel, how convenient do you find tank bags? The map pocket would be nice (if I don't just get a motorcycle mount for my GPS or buy a motorcycle GPS). To have easy access to small bills for tolls I could use a tank bag or a windshield bag (I ride a cruiser and the windshield bag would probably "match" better, but for a trip practicality would matter more).

Does anyone have any tips, advice, good travel stories, etc?

See less See more
#2 ·
I love camping and riding, its a perfect mix. I have a Sierra 2 person tent, which is perfect for 1 person and gear in the tent. Small, compact and easy to set up. You dont want to wear a backpack for a long trip, or any trip really, in my opinion. My setup is cloths, rain gear and other such things go in the side bags, gloves, visors, meds, water and again other misc things go in the tail bag. I use the back seat for all things large. I have a dry bag in which I put my tent, sleeping mat, 2 small sleeping bags and a small pillow.

For longer trips I use my tank bag to store my wallet, meds, passport, ear plugs and such things. Lets you store the little things you need and saves some good space and I find it doesn't hinder the handling or anything like that.

I personally would get a GPS if you can afford it. I find always looking down at the map is dangerous, and the GPS just makes it so much easier if there is construction or you decide to take a different road, it just recalculates for you.

#3 ·
As for tankbags, they usualy do not work well on a cruiser as the sweep of the handlebars crosses the tank. Weight and size are the enemy on a bike just like they are when backpacking. As a result backacking gear works very well for what you are thinking of doing. Good luck, take pictures.

#5 ·
I love taking my bike on solo camping trips and to music festivals.
Heres how I generally pack:
Saddle Bags: Tools, rain gear, extra clothes, water, food, tinted helmet visor, (basically my bike stuff.)
Above my saddle bag: one one side I have my tent. I put it in an extra sleeping bag, bag and strap in on. On the other saddle bag I might strap on a bag with extra misc. stuff.
Back Seat/back rest bag: I have a pretty big and cheap back rest bag that I put all my clothes and camping gear in. (I dont bring many clothes.) I only bring small and essential gear.
On the luggage rack: sleeping bag and sleeping pad and maybe pillow.

A tip: have plenty of bungee cords/straps/rope :)

Heres a pick of my first camping trip.
[/IMG]

Now get out there and good luck. And enjoy the summer.
~Johnny

#6 ·
Here's what I used on my recent trip to Michigan. First Gear Silverstone tail bag; First Gear Onyx tank bag (very useful) under the clear top I would fold up the road maps, refolding as needed at fuel stops (someday I will just stick a flat GPS under there), throw over yard sale saddlebags (I would opt for something bigger next time like FG Onyx saddlebags) with rain gear and bungees on one side and spare parts and maintenance items in the left ; a small fork bag where I keep spare bulbs, plugs, grease, and fuses; rolled up three man tent and sleeping roll behind my back on the seat in front of the tailbag. This setup worked very well for me.

Cheers,

Mike

#7 ·
I love backpacking. Did a 2 week trip in Alaska ANWR a dozen years ago! You can buy quality backpacking gear at very reasonable prices if you watch clearance racks. I've never camped from my bike but I could easily see that as a great alternative. The problem I'd have is that I don't think I'd want to ride then camp at night for very many days in a row.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.