Motorcycle Forum banner

Turn Signal Mirrors -- Good, Bad, or Ugly?

5K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  markk53 
#1 ·
hey guys,

just got a new bike...a 2002 SV 650.
It has a few small needs...but it's been a hoot so far. :) (more on that in another post soon!)

The mirrors on it are custom (read: lame) and small, and narrow angled.
It also doesn't have front turn signals...and the cops never bothered the
last owner, or the owner before that over it, but I still want signals for obvious reasons.

So, my question is:
Mirrors with integrated turn signals: how are they? I've found cheaper ones
on ebay and spendy ones on other websites.
Are they easy to install? Are they worth it? Is it better just to go
find normal mirrors and signals?
Does anyone have any brands they like?

thanks!

GP

See less See more
#12 ·
That's unusual for Kawasaki, most of what they make I think is designed really well. Huh. Wonder if it was a designer's practical joke?

I found some integrated mirrors for my FZR on eBay, for $30... that's cheap! Any word on quality? They look pretty nice. I'd be interested in putting these on, since I bought my bike with really crappy flush mounted signals that are nearly impossible to see during the day. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yama...orcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_1158wt_1167

#13 · (Edited)
After going through two sets of cheap small signals on my Zephyr, one pair had the wiring fall out of the solder even on the one unattached wire, I did what I should have in the first place - I bought four Buell Ulysses rear turn signals.

They're $15.99 each, have flexible stalks, are black with a sort of blacked out lense, look smaller than most stock signals, and are built far better than any of the mini signals out there and nicer than most stock ones. You need to buy an automotive variable load relay for them because the bulbs are a watt or two higher.

The amazing thing was they actually have a locator pin that was positioned exactly where they needed to be for my Zephyr.

I am going to buy another set for my KLX, the OEM style K&L replacement signal I bought was half the cost of the Kawasaki signal, BUT TWICE AS MUCH as the Buell signal at $33.95. My stems are cracking on some of the other signals so I'm going to spring for a set in a week or two.

They are made in Italy, wild. The parts guy at AD Farrow knew exactly what I wanted when I asked. He said a lot of riders are buying them for other bikes.

Don't waste time on those cheapies... one set was even from Lockhart Phillips, melted the lense on one and wires fell out. The other set had the terminals break in less than a few days. The Buells have several thousand miles on them now and work great!

One other thought on mirrors for the guy that hates the look. I get the Honda 1983 CB650SC Nighthawk mirrors. They have a very slender stem, slightly over 1/4" in diameter and a rectangular head. They are still available OEM at about $33 each at a Honda dealer.

Here's a shot of one with the stock mirrors.

I ran them on my Nighthawk S and now on my Zephyr. The thin stems and black color kind of makes them "disappear".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.