Motorcycle Forum banner

It's the little things. What do you love about motorcycling?

7K views 85 replies 51 participants last post by  bpneiman 
#1 ·
Let's see if we can get a real thread going here!

We all love wind in your hair, thrill and excitement etc.. that's not what I'm looking for. What are some of the more subtle things you love about riding your motorcycle? Things that don't often get mentioned, or even thought about. They don't have to be significant, and they can as silly as you want, for example:

I love how when wearing my FF helmet with mirrored visor people seem to stare at my face, as if they're imagining what hideous beast lies behind the mask. It's like because they can't see my eyes, they think I can't see them. Funny!

I also love, on a really hot summer night, filling up my empty gas tank and feeling the coldness of the fuel emanating through to my legs.

Now you go!

#38 ·
I love the exhilarating feeling I get when I am getting ready to ride. Man it's like the adrenalin I used to get when I was a ski racer. I mean I feel this even if it is a ride down to the market on the corner to get milk! Heck I am 58 years old. I guess you never lose somethings!

#40 ·
I'm new, so I'm sure I'll have more later, or more specific examples. However, so far my favorite parts have mostly been what I expected them to be.

In today's world we are all so isolated from life. We leave our air conditioned (or heated) homes, get in our air conditioned cars, drive to our air conditioned workplaces, then get in our air conditioned cars, and go back to our air conditioned homes. We work out indoors on treadmills and exercise bikes. Run outside! Ride a bicycle outside! Are you freaking crazy!!!

I love that "open" feel on a motorcycle. Just like when riding a bicycle, you can see, feel, hear and smell things you don't in a car. You are almost part of the landscape (hopefully not literally :wink: ). That was one of my favorite things about riding a bicycle and so far it is one of my favorites riding my motorcycle. Maybe similar to why I like to camp- I like to experience nature, not block it out.

Just today, I rode out to a very nice neighborhood (million dollar+ homes) right on the Chesapeake Bay. I love the water- the smells, sounds and sights of it. Well, in my car I liked riding down to this neighborhood with the Bay not more than 10 feet from the road at points (and never more than 40-50ft away), opening my windows and sunroof, and "experiencing" the Bay. Well, after riding that road on my bike, it will never be the same in a car. Heck, I love my sunroof, and the car is so isolated in comparison, even with the sunroof wide open, that I don't think I'll every pay extra for a sunroof again (the motorcycle has already spoiled it for me :D ).

Another thing I really liked was 'the wave'. I've seen motorcyclists do it. I've read about it here and on other forums. I thought it was a nice idea but no big deal. Hmm, I actually really enjoyed giving and receiving the motorcycle wave. It is strange that it was so satisfying.

One thing I haven't done yet, but I'm really looking forward to is the gas pump. My car gets 22-25mpg and takes premium fuel. My bike is rated for 49mpg and takes regular fuel. Double the mileage and $0.20-0.30 less per gallon, I can't wait to start seeing the savings (of course, it won't really be savings until I stop practicing and start riding as actual transportation- soon).

#42 ·
It's a combination of things for me. The sights, smells, and sounds of the world around me. The thrill of taking the twisties as smoothly as possible. The best part of it is the feeling of independence. All of it is up to you. You have to handle whatever comes your way.

#43 ·
feeling free and able to escape from everything for as long as I'm riding out.

At least it's how I feel everytime I get on my bike and just ride aimlessly for a few hours on the weekends or after work taking the " long way home ".
It's a nice feeling of not being able to listen to the radio, or let your cell phone get your attention, etc..etc..etc.

#44 · (Edited)
I did a bit more riding today (despite heavy winds) and I have a few things to add to my prior post. All are related to the way people seem to react to a motorcycle- there is almost something magical about it.

-I live in an apartment. Typical apartment, neighbors usually ignore each other. Pulling into my parking spot I've had more neighbors pulling into the garage smile and/or wave at me today alone than I've had in the entire year I've lived here (actually, I've had it happen several times today and yesterday, I never had it happen before).

-I took my bike by a buddy's place today to show off my bike. He lives in a townhouse. Pulling into the lot some young kids tried to "race" me, one on his bicycle and one on foot. I had to be extra alert since kids can sometimes do strange things, but it was pretty cool, and I've never had that in a car.

-Tonight after some nighttime practice I pulled in and was heading back to my apartment at the same time as one of my next door neighbors. I've never had this woman say more than 3 words to me before. Now, in addition to her returning my hello and good evening, I know that her husband rides a Harley.

Starting to ride is like a whole new world is opening up in more ways than one.

#52 ·
Starting to ride is like a whole new world is opening up in more ways than one.
This. I've met and talked to so many people that I never would've even known existed until I started riding. Sharing the commonality of riding is the best ice breaker ever. If you see someone walking around with a helmet tucked under their arm, you almost feel obligated to strike up a conversation with them!

#45 ·
Among a thousand other things, the outdoors part is very important to me. I work outside (construction), I am an avid hiker and backpacker, canoeing and fishing. I am a volunteer in trail maintainence in the mountains and can never get enough of the fresh air. When I drive my truck to work, it's just a drive even though I try to take in the landscape(mind you, in the winter I LOVE my truck) but if I can take my bike it's always a better ride.

#67 ·
Man, you beat me to it. I love this part. When you fire up the bike and you can hear that intial POP of the cylinders firing up. Especially when your sitting in a parking lot and you get people all over looking up to see what it was.

I also love looking into cars as I am riding down the road, I love seeing the looks of frustration on the drivers faces. How they looked so trapped in the cage. as I ride off down the road.

#47 ·
I just switched over from a modded two stroke scooter to a motorcycle. One big thing for me is: SHIFTING! What a blast.

There are roads on my commute that are absolutely perfect. Curves, no cars (they all take the highway), scenery, the air. Love it all. I like the way my jacket smells like gas (that was the great thing about my 2 stroke, the smell!!)

Oh yeah, not spending tons of cash at the pump is a definite plus!!!:biggrin:

#48 ·
I like the feeling that you are not separate from the bike ,you and the bike are one unit.When you are riding it's like the bike has become part of you and you can feel every stone,every crack; the heat off the engine,the vibration, even the clutch and throttle you become sensitive to. When you know your bike all the twisties and streights have a new feel to them.
When I ride,wether it's an hour or four,all other things take a backseat. No room for distraction,no room for stress, no room for junk just total concentration on the ride.

#49 ·
+1

You don't feel like part of the process when you're in a cage. I also really like having a manual transmission, I think it adds to the whole being involved in the entire process.

I've never had a manual transmission in a car - so that added one more thing for me to learn with the bike originally. As much as I've been told I wouldn't want a manual car, if I ever buy new I'm not going to get an automatic transmission, I think that might make driving a little more fun.

#55 ·
I love just how people seem to perceive a rider differently. When I take my helmet off and get the "Oh wow! It's a woman!" stare, or when I'm with my "biker" looking husband....now those looks are hilarious! LOL!
I love the smells, the sun on my skin, the concentration it takes to ride, the sounds of my bike (that only I seem to hear~ my daughter says my bike is quiet).....
Yea... everything is perfect when I'm on my bike.

#56 ·
I used to drive a convertible sports car and my absolute favorite thing about driving that was riding around the city at night with the top down, the lights, cool air and the freedom. I think with the convertible it was the highway I loved the most.

With my motorcycle I do most of my riding early in the morning and late in the evening on weekends. I'm usually home before my wife has her second cup of coffee (8:30-9am) and as she's settling in for the evening on weekends and during the week. I prefer the cool air, lack of traffic and the quiet sleepy nature of the world. Whether driving through the country, neighborhoods around my house or pulling into a restaurant to meet friends, it's just a feeling of freedom. It's more like you are in the world than driving around it.

This past weekend I was driving around some wealthy neighborhoods around my house and all the dogs with electric fences came out to greet me. I just love that feeling.

#58 ·
This past weekend I was driving around some wealthy neighborhoods around my house and all the dogs with electric fences came out to greet me. I just love that feeling.
This reminded me: I think it's hilarious how much dogs love motorcycles and I love when they try to come chasing after me. Granted if they aren't restrained it can be dangerous, (as we know from a couple threads on here) but it cracks me up to get some random dog all excited just by riding by.

Countless times I've ridden past dogs walking with their owners who yank to the end of their leash while the human struggles to keep them at bay, ha!

A couple weeks ago I was sitting in first place at a red light as some lady coming from the right was turning left so I was facing the side of her car. She had a huge German Shepherd in the back seat and he was staring at me through the open window, so I raised my arms a little and started twitching my head and hands like I was coming after him, he went nuts barking and circling in the back hahaha... dogs...

#57 ·
The way that cool morning air feels like a rushing mountain stream.

I like how when the sun is rising over the mountains and turns everything that special soft shade of yellow you feel like you're a part of the scene instead of just looking at it.

No passengers telling you to roll up the window, turn on the ac, and crank up the radio.

#63 ·
All of the above!
Ever try to explain "hard" and "soft" air?
I've tried but words just don't cut it.
I like the way all the mechanics are visible,the engine,gearbox,cables and linkage.
Being part of a complex machine and not in a coccoon where all the corners are rounded so you don't hurt yourself instead of making the machine better,more aerodynamic.
The temp. changes are awsome,just like swimming in a lake with the cool and warn spots.
Smelling EVERYTHING,being p[art of the environment instead of looking at it.
I could go on and on.

#66 · (Edited)
I love just being able to go, feel more a part of the enviroment than being in a cage, the wind in my face.

Maintenance is easier, so is parking, and its turning radius in a parking lot is much shorter. I like lane splitting. I

The insurance is far less, for a new harley than an old truck, and a modded bike sips gas like a hybrid.

Its the ultimate symbol of freedom on many levels, the bare minimum it takes to keep on the road, and its easy to customize, maintain, far much more so than a car, and the fastest bikes cost around half the average family sedan. These said bikes are faster than any street legal car purchasable for less than half a million dollars. If thats not something I don't know what is.

Dirty looks from cagers is another perk. So is dirty looks from the guy who in a sea of chrome rides flat black

Riding a motorcycle is having your cake and eating it too.

edit: if I don't feel like sitting, I can stand, I can ride over those **** speed humps at 45 mph and try and get my front wheel airborne.

#68 ·
Sigh... I haven't ridden in two weeks. I've become mildly depressed; all I can think about is when I get my bike back.

My wheel has been in the shop being fixed. It's frustrating that a repair shop takes this many days to perform a job that probably takes a few hours... I'm gonna stop by there after work today and talk to them in person about it..

I love that motorcycling has become a part of me.

#71 ·
Been riding quite a bit lately in these mountains and the wild flowers are in bloom; mountain laural, honeysuckle,wild roses, and peoples own flowers like lillies, iris' etc. make each ride unbelieveable. Bad part is it all makes you want to relish the ride too much and concentration can take a backseat. And I think that's a bad thing. I want so bad to ride without any gear at all to feel the ride more but no can do, I don't react well to pain if it should suddenly appear.:frown:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.