Motorcycle Forum banner

bike broke down. Could use some help.

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  67fire 
#1 ·
Alright, thanks for help in advance everyone.
For starters the bike is a 2000 kawasaki vulcan 800 with 18,000 miles.

So yesterday I was riding to my buddies house, pulled into his sub and got on it pretty hard for just a couple of seconds, then pulled up to his driveway. As I came to a stop the engine puttered out (like it ran out of gas). I switched to reserve tank and it wouldnt start. Wasnt getting any gas. Got off and looked at the bike. Gas Was dripping HEAVILY from the left engine cover. Looked like a house of gasket or something failed and all the gas was just coming out.

Any help? ideas? thoughts? tips?
What could this be??

Thanks,
Johnny

#3 ·
.Thanks tyler,
Isnt the petcock just where you select gas on/off/reserve? That seems fine. The gas is flowing from the bottom of the bike from the engine cover. What I would call the crank case area? ( I dont know if it really is though :/ )

I have to pick it up from my buddies house today or tomorrow. Never ventured into that area of the bike that I recall. But I'll take it apart and see whats going on down there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated/

#10 · (Edited)
thanks for the help guys. I just took the carb off and cleaned it last week, so its clean as a whistle, but might be worn out.
I'll start ripping some stuff apart hopefully tomorrow and look at what you guys have suggested.
And, you rode it prior to this day with no problems? :confused:
Sounds like you got the floats messed up or float needles are not seating.
Also check to see if your bike is now "making oil". I.E.: gas in the oil.
Pull the plugs and disconnect the coil wires to clear the cylinders of the flooded gasoline.
Change the oil and filter, fix your carbs., change plugs.

Eric :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.