Motorcycle Forum banner

Dargging frame on my V-star

2K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Badlands-4-2 
#1 · (Edited)
Dragging frame on my V-star

Well I'm having a bit of a problem with when I hit the twisties on my V-star. I often drag my floorboards, thats no big deal, they're made for it. However last night I hit a few twisties and got nasty enough to drag my frame. That did not feel good. So what should I do. Far as I can think of I have 4 options. Get a new bike, stiffin the rear spring, calm down and remember I'm on a cruiser(I like this option the least) or raise the bike one inch. I like my bike and don't feel the need to buy one and dont have the desire to have a bike payment.

So, what do you think, should I raise it. I like the spring being soft like it is, even if I were to stiffin the spring I doubt that it would take me long to end up dragging the frame again. Thats why I am leaning towards new wishbones to raise it up, but would this cause it to ride funny? I have looked and I still have about plenty of tread left before I'm turning to hard for the tire to handle.

Has anyone else here ever had this problem?

#3 ·
be careful if you go that route
Awww, Big G you do care about me LOL

I thought about how that would change the feeling of the bike, but I tell you what, when you feel that frame hit pavment, its one of the more dagerous feelings I have felt on a bike. Not as bad as locking the rear tire a highways speeds but scary non the less. Maybe I need a new bike. Have you been planting the floorboards on your C-50? I ask cuz my friend has one, and they're pretty similar to the V-star.

#4 ·
You look like a big guy in your photo so I would suggest a diet. :D
Just kidding. I'm 6'1" 220 lbs and when I take the the corners and tip it really far the most Ive hit was the floorboards. I'm on a 2002 V-Star 1100 classic. I would try stiffening up the suspension first and see how it goes. You can always reverse it back if you don't like the ride. If that doesn't work then the bike may not be the bike for you and you may want to look into something like the Warrior.

#5 ·
LOL in all honesty diet is in effect, down about 40lbs from that avatar pic. I'm going to try stiffining the springs tomorrow and hit the twisties to see how they feel. I think if that doesn't do what I need I'm going to calm down and start hunting for a new bike. I got my eye on the victory kingpin or yamaha v-max, guess I have a new test for a bike if I start test riding.

#11 ·
Go for the spring adjustment, don't raise it. If you don't like the results it is easily reversed, and it is cheap/free.

If that doesn't do it, either replace your bike (maybe a nice muscle cruiser for a combination of cruiser looks and feel and a sportier ride) or keep your V-Star since you like it so much but slow down on corners with your V-Star but also buy a second bike. Since you like to take corners aggressively, get a second bike that is more suited to that- get a dual sport or sports bike as a second bike. Many used dual sports can be had pretty cheap, and some sports (and "sporty") bikes like the Ninja 250, Ninja 500, and Suzuki SV650 or GS500 are usually pretty reasonable as well.

If it was me, I might go with the second bike. It may actually be cheaper than selling your bike and going with a muscle cruiser, and the true muscle cruisers will have a substantially bigger engine than your 1100 (are you ready for a 1500+ cc bike, the muscle cruiser still may not handle properly for the way you are riding while a sports bike is made for it, and the smaller bikes will get much better mileage).

#12 ·
Screw the handling problems, if you raise your bike it will look like s**t. LOL

Try replacing the rear shocks with struts, the bumps will be rough but your power transfer will be improved and the rear end won't squat at all.

"Hint" this may require a springer seat to help with the RR tracks. HAAAA HA HA HA HA HA Or just stand up. LMAOSM:biggrin:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.