Motorcycle Forum banner

Scared to try again

4K views 22 replies 16 participants last post by  aaronrkelly 
#1 ·
Here's the scoop....
20 some odd years ago, I had a 450 Rebel, tried to get my license and didn't pass.
Now, I have a 750 Shadow, and I am so incredibly nervous to even try my test again!
I am a good rider, am not afraid of my bike, but when I try to practice, I can't get that big ol 750 to turn around those little cones that we have to get around.

Maybe I'm just afraid I won't pass again?

Hubby wants me to just test, he says I'll do fine, but holy moly! I can feel the butterflies in my stomach just thinking about it!

I'm thinking about trying the test once, if I pass, great, if not, I take the class.

Any suggestions or wise words from you guys?

#3 ·
You will probably get more out of the MSF course than a license. I see the license as a bonus.

Admittedly, many of the maneuvers on the test are rarely used in street riding, but good control of the motorcycle in slow speed conditions translates to good overall control in many aspects of riding.

#5 ·
Taking the MSF takes the place of the license skills test and gives a break on insurance. Practice full lock turns at low speed and always,always look ahead. This will help in the box course at the MSF. Good luck either way you go.

#7 ·
Gotta agree. I raced dirt bikes for years in the 70's and 80's and got a street bike 5 years ago and was just nervous enough about the DMV test that I went to the MSF weekend course instead. Not only did I come out of it with the license, you lose the butterflies when you're following a train of 10 people through those cones on their 250cc bikes. You come out of it learning at least a couple things - even when you think you know a lot.

#8 · (Edited)
I can't get that big ol 750 to turn around those little cones that we have to get around.
Around here (sf bay area) people rent small bikes on craigslist for the test. So that's one approach. I did the MSF course and am glad I did (we had little 200cc dual-sports in class). But you already ride, so I'd rent or borrow a small bike, if you don't want to do the course.

The other thing to do, regardless of licensing requirements, is to find a parking lot and practice slow speed figure-8's and circles (and panic stops, and slow right turns). I started doing that and am kinda shocked how hard it is on my V Star 650. I plan on doing a lot more practicing.

Some people say to feather the clutch, some say use the rear brake, some say do both. But David Hough (safety instructor/writer) says not pull in the clutch completely or you fall down. You need power to the rear to keep the bike up, so it's better to use the brake (or stay in the friction zone) to control speed.

The other thing Hough says - with cruisers you can't get your feet over the pegs, so to counterbalance you have to slide your butt over to balance (slide to the right as you're turning left). I've tried that and I'm sure it looks odd but not too difficult. I think the most awkward and scary thing for beginners however, is how much you have to push (countersteer) to get it leaned over at slow speed. It's harder to turn right because you have to push on the throttle side, while maintaining a very precise throttle.

#9 ·
Here is the Ohio Skills test:

http://www.odot.state.or.us/forms/dmv/7135.pdf

For your state, someone has probably loaded it on the internet for informational purposes. With that info, just set it up and practice it yourself. It really isn't that difficult.

When I took the MSF, the figure 8 was my biggest problem. The instructor informed me privately that as long as you don't drop the bike, it ISN'T a big deal. If the cones are your problem, just set it up and PRACTICE them in a parking lot. If you go on off hours, the course where they give the test is painted on the ground and you can take cones (or anything small) and practice them.

For me the cones was the easiest part of the test. For the figure 8 box I had bees in the stomach! :)

#11 ·
HEY, it's not 'one and you're done'! You can take the course a zillion times if you have the time and money. I've actually told folks who fail the course to "come back, take it again". Why? Repetition builds retention.

Hmmmmm...need more metaphors...OH! This isn't a one rung ladder. Take the time you need and build a skills base and that starts with organized instruction. Why? Because going and failing the test seems to be a deal breaker for you...so don't take the test until you're ready. What makes you ready? Professional instruction.

Vidjimo help:

NOW. Get out of your own head and look where you want to go!

#15 ·
First I have to agree with virtually everyone else, take the course and practice...secondly, my wife had a 2002 thunderbird, passed the class with flying colors, got her license, and was terrified of the bird......she could ride it well at low speed but didn't feel she was in control, (read she couldn't work the cones) We traded the bird for a street triple and BINGO, she's riding like a pro, is much more comfortable, and now craves riding. Maybe the big cruiser isn't really your thing?

#17 · (Edited)
Pressure from observers always make me nervous. I agree with the majority of the above, also.
May I suggest that you practice, practice practice, then when you feel good about handling the machine on your own, get yourself an audience of another rider or two. Practice together until you feel comfortable. Challenge each other and make a game of it. This will give you a chance to perform in front of others but will also open you up to constructive criticism and help from other riders.
Time in the saddle will build confidence and so will support from other riders. I'd also suggest taking the MSF course. This will help your performance anxiety by focusing you on what you are doing instead of what onlookers may think. You'll learn some valuable stuff too.

#18 · (Edited)
Some people just dont do well on the test.....dont be discouraged, keep taking it. In reality that test applies very little to real world riding. Im not saying it doesnt have merit.....just that being able to swerve around a cone in the parking lot at 20mph or so isnt the same as an OH **** maneuver at highway speeds.....or even better yet being experienced enough to not get into the need for an OH **** maneuver.

IE when I finally passed (it took me 3 times.....yeah really) there was a guy that had moved from another state but had to retake his MC test to get his endorsement. He had been riding for 30 years......longer then I have been alive......and by ride I dont mean a few weekends over summer.......he toured. Now if youve been riding for 30 years and your still alive.....you must be a fairly good rider. He failed bad.....real bad.

On the other hand after coaching and practicing my girlfriend passed on her first try without missing any points.....she had 3 months experience.

Who do you think is the better rider? My money is on the old guy......but this "test" says otherwise.

I say F#@# the test.....if you dont pass it right off keep plugging away at it....no shame in failing. I certainly didnt think less of that old biker for failing.

#19 ·
Riding a long time doesn't make you a good rider. If it did...we'd all be MotoGP pilots. I've been playing the guitar a long time (30 years) and I still suck. Why? Because I don't do it all that often and I don't practice, won't take any more lessons and don't challenge myself. I can play a couple of Christmas carols, Dust in the Wind, and a few Hymns and Greensleeves (which coincidentally, doubles as a Christmas carol). So time on equipment simply means I can be a passable player, impress the in-laws and some geezers at the retirement home.

But I am NOT a good guitarist.

PRACTICE makes skilled riders. The tests look for basic habits that keep you out of trouble. Like keeping your feet up during the cone weave and slow tight turns. The U-Turn checks to make sure you don't have to back paddle up the crown of a road trying to get turned around. Swerve and brake--those are obvious.

A well trained 3 month rider that passes the test clearly has a nice skill set to build on. A 30 year rider who flunks? They might have had a bad day. They might be a mediocre untrained rider. They might need some practice. They might have had aliens take over their brains for a moment--BUT the bottom line is the test is an excellent OBJECTIVE measure of your ability to operate the bike. There's no subjective issues--the person administering the test doesn't say "he looks like a good rider...yeah, give him a license".

Want to see a guy who, subjectively, LOOKS like a good rider? Take a look at 2:30 into this video:

With the test, either you can or you can't. There's no "I figured he was a good rider, I thought he looked like he had the skills". Either you do or your don't. And if you can't pass the first time? Practice and hit it again. Who cares? I don't care how many times you took the test. I only care that you've got riding chops and the test IS a baseline way to measure it.

For my money? The who's the person I want to ride behind when that car battery suddenly appears from under the SUV in front of us? Probably the one that has been trained to swerve and proven their ability to do get it done...

#21 ·
Riding a long time doesn't make you a good rider. If it did...we'd all be MotoGP pilots.

A well trained 3 month rider that passes the test clearly has a nice skill set to build on. A 30 year rider who flunks? They might have had a bad day. They might be a mediocre untrained rider. They might need some practice. They might have had aliens take over their brains for a moment--BUT the bottom line is the test is an excellent OBJECTIVE measure of your ability to operate the bike.

And if you can't pass the first time? Practice and hit it again. Who cares? I don't care how many times you took the test. I only care that you've got riding chops and the test IS a baseline way to measure it.
Your only going to gain experience relative to your environment and equipment....riding on the street isnt going to gain you track experience or vice versa. Spend 30 years on the track.....I bet you will do better than average. Im not so quick to discount 30 years experience. Motorcycling isnt something you drone thru if you ride often. Sure the occasional weekend rider can, he may see as little as 500 miles a year.....but if you only own a bike, ride 20K+ a year and are still alive........well I can bet in that amount of time hes performed a few maneuvers successfully. Hell I cant travel an hour in either direction without someone trying to kill me multiples times.

As to why he failed....probably equipment. He showed up on his bike....which happened to be a Ultra Classic. Can the bike do the test......ehh, not sure but probably.....guessing it to be quite a bit harder though. Wonder if there are any videos of bigger bikes going thru the course.

That last paragraph was the point I was attempting to make.

#20 ·
Take the course, it's the best money you will ever spend as it may end up saving your life. The state of Florida now requires all riders to attend, even to renew a licensed operator of 30 years. They will teach you the "OH S**T!" manouvers, how to avoid or ride over obstacles in the road and it comes with an added benefit not yet mentioned here. You will meet new riders from your area with the chance of new friendships, and possible riding companions. It's a win win along with all the other benefits mentioned so far. So don't hesitate, sign up right away and have some fun.

Even if you do take the test first and pass, still take the course, soon.

Good luck.

#22 ·
It's hard NOT to gain experience when you ride. It is also possible to ingrain bad habits and still survive. Like the classic "I had to lay it down" which is a nice way to say "I didn't know what to do so I crashed on purpose". If you got time to think it through and decide to crash? You've got time to get some serious braking done. We often blame the bike for our shortcomings. Training will help make sure you know what a bike can do. The test is your proof.

As far as experience, the dude in the video broke a cardinal rule NOT taught in the MSF but well known to experienced riders, he chopped the throttle with the rear stepped out and the bike highsided him. MSF don't teach that--the world does. That's good quality experience talking. BUT there's BAD knowledge floating out there too--like the "my bike won't do that", whether it be braking, swerving or turning.

Take the Ultra issue for example--the bike in this video has a 1 inch LONGER wheelbase than an Ultra and doesn't seem to be having trouble with the slow tight turn...

Falling into the trap of "MY bike won't do that" is one of those traps you can get stuck in for 30 years...Heck we ALL have stuff to learn, if your 'bike won't do that' it may be a symptom of "I might not be able to do that"; and if you're like me, there's plenty of things left to learn.

#23 ·
Take the Ultra issue for example--the bike in this video has a 1 inch LONGER wheelbase than an Ultra and doesn't seem to be having trouble with the slow tight turn...

Falling into the trap of "MY bike won't do that" is one of those traps you can get stuck in for 30 years...Heck we ALL have stuff to learn, if your 'bike won't do that' it may be a symptom of "I might not be able to do that"; and if you're like me, there's plenty of things left to learn.
The turn wasnt want screwed him....it was the cones. The extra width with the hard bags surely makes a significant difference.

For giggles I may take my Vision down to the test area and give it a shot....rest assured there wont be video evidence of my likely failure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.