Motorcycle Forum banner

Custom Fabricated Exhaust.

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  markk53 
#1 ·
How would one go about getting one of these made? I went to a MC rally over the weekend and there was this sick old CB that was redone and looked fantastic and I was thinking about doing that with my old Nighthawk. Where does one get these types of parts made? I have found a couple of custom shops around my area, but they are all for V-twin/Harley type bikes, not inline 4 Jap bikes. What kind of prices are we looking at to get this done?

#3 ·
No, I didn't take a camera, but I don't really want my bike to look like that one. I have a very specific design in mind for my bike that's kind of hard to explain through text. I'll try though.

I want all 4 pipes to come out of the front of the block and come down into an single meeting point underneath the bike shaped in an X. Then have an outlet coming out of each side of the bike. Very little pipe after the X.

#5 ·
I've felt your pain! Years ago when I bought my Victory (before there were aftermarket parts avail.) I wanted custom pipes made for it. I called aounnd to most of the local "blacksmith" bike shops, as soon as they found out that it wasn't a H.D. they lost any interest in doing the work.

#6 ·
I haven't really started even looking yet, just on more of an info gathering mission for right now. Once I buy a new bike, I want to strip the old Nighthawk down to the frame and completely rebuild it. Start taking it to shows and such.

#8 ·
From a cost standpoint a good friend that is a TIG welding phenomenon is beneficial.

I did an exhaust with just such a friend in about 3 hours one Saturday. I got mandrel bent tubing from, of all places, JC Whitney, but there are other sources. I used plain steel due to the experimental nature of doing it. We cut up a couple of U bends (180 degree bend with about 10" of straight on each end) and a 45 degree bend to make a high pipe for my SR500. We did not grind welds because I didn't care that much, but his welds are like art anyway.

Here's the results after a plater made a mistake and chromed it instead of doing nickle plate as I wanted. All of about $50 (welding free) about 15 years ago.

It is quite blue from heat, but it looked good enough in person for a Kerker/Supertrapp employee to leave his card on the seat at Mid Ohio one year, asking where I got it.

For what it's worth, mandrel bent tubing has a madrel drawn through it as it is bent to keep the inside diameter constant. Muffler shops will have tubing neck down smaller when bending the tubing.

Also you can get stainless tubing too, but quite expensive. My TIG welder buddy made a large diameter stainless down pipe for his own SR500 and has done numerous exhaust modifications. His delicate touch with a welder is incredible. I honestly think he could weld two beer cans side to side, he's that good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.