Motorcycle Forum banner

It's the little things. What do you love about motorcycling?

7K views 85 replies 51 participants last post by  bpneiman 
#1 ·
Let's see if we can get a real thread going here!

We all love wind in your hair, thrill and excitement etc.. that's not what I'm looking for. What are some of the more subtle things you love about riding your motorcycle? Things that don't often get mentioned, or even thought about. They don't have to be significant, and they can as silly as you want, for example:

I love how when wearing my FF helmet with mirrored visor people seem to stare at my face, as if they're imagining what hideous beast lies behind the mask. It's like because they can't see my eyes, they think I can't see them. Funny!

I also love, on a really hot summer night, filling up my empty gas tank and feeling the coldness of the fuel emanating through to my legs.

Now you go!

#73 ·
Life is good.

Went up to the shop last night and got my wheel back, (the bast*rds never told me it was ready). Slapped it back on, gave the chain a little needed attention and took her out for the first ride she's been on in weeks. Suffice it to say, I'm a happy camper. :)

Last night I saw 5 bikes riding. All cruisers, all men, none had gear, I waved to all of them and only 1 waved back (The HD guy!) In the others defense however, it was getting dark, I can respect their focus being elsewhere. FWIW.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I love going through tunnels and revving the engine.

I love the inexplicable joy of riding. This is a feeling you cannot explain to any non-rider, no matter how hard you try.

#76 ·
I love how sometimes I'm at home, and when I need to get something from the garage, I turn on the light and she appears from the darkness, and I stare at her for a few seconds... I can hear her say: "i'm here..."

or when after a rainy afternoon you can smell everything around you, the wet grass, the wet road, the cooler air.

or just the consciousness that at any given time for no reason whatsoever, I can open the gas and feel the pull of my bike launching me into a pure moment of joy and ecstasy.

But also maybe the most important one is: Than no matter what I'm doing, or where I'm going, it's always a pleasure riding, even if it's going to work, school, or running an errand, it's always fun...

#86 ·
Just started riding, but I love that I can forget about everything else for a while. I have a lot of stress in my professional life, and a lot of stress in my personal life, and getting on the bike lets me forget about all that stuff for a while.

I left work yesterday to drive the 25 miles back home. Had a very rough day at work and was just "down" all day about stuff going on in my personal life. Half way home I realized that I was literally smiling. None of that other stuff seemed so bad now. It was just a nice feeling to have.

Got home and went on an 80 mile ride with a friend. Again, smiling the whole time. I may have to move farther from work to make my commute a little longer. When my friend rides he said it is like "cheating the day".

Oh, and the "motorcycle wave" that was mentioned earlier is pretty cool too. Sorry to the first few bikers I saw when I was just giving a normal wave.

Just starting the bike, gearing-up, and getting ready to ride puts a smile on my face.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.