Motorcycle Forum banner

Suzuki Savage 650 Thumper

9K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  LWRider 
#1 ·
Went fishing over the weekend (6 kingfish, 2 Sp. mackerel, 1 huge red fish, small grouper, small bluefish, bonita, and a dolphin). Went with my brother and brother-in-laws and f-i-l on I guess what you would call my "cousin-in-law's" boat out of Panama City.

Anyway, c-i-l (Lloyd) and I were talking motorcycles and he said he had one he would give me that he did not have time to mess with. It is a Suzuki Savage 650 single cylinder. Don't know the year but it is belt drive, which may be a clue. Needs some work to get back running, but Lloyd knows motors and thinks it is minor. All I need to do is run up to his place and pick it up (about 350 miles, I guess).

So, tell me all ya'll can about this bike and what to look for while fixing it up. I figure I can't go wrong at $0, plus fuel to pick it up. I know it won't be a looker or high perfromance. This would give me a second bike to ride while I do more restoration on my old CB350. Sounds like the cam chain adjuster is a trouble spot on this bike. Parts should be available still as they made these for a long time and (I think) the S-40 is the same motor. Anything else?

Cheers and TIA,

Mike, who can't refuse a freebie

See less See more
#2 ·
Just got my wife one. Simple as hell to work on. Getting to the cylinder is a bit fun considering it goes pretty much up to the frame, but not seriously bad.

They tend to leak oil from the valve cover gasket and generally while the bike is turned off and cooling.

Nice ride and, believe it or not, the little bike gets some good looks.

For a freebie - I'd go for it. If nothing else, you can make money parting it out :)

#5 ·
The S-40 not only has the same motor, they are the exact same bike. Just re-badged. Great beginner or commuter bike. Very low seat height, comfortable riding position. Will run at highway speeds, but not much over, and at anything over 65-70 mph there is a bit of vibration due to the larger single cylinder. Best thing is that once you get it running it's value never really drops below the $2500 range as beginner size bikes are always in high demand.

#6 ·
Thanks, Eric! Looks like most of a year before I can do the Bonnie (promised to pay off the car first) so in the meantime this will give me something to tinker with. And I really need to pull the motor on the 350 and change the head gasket and fix the starter, but I keep putting it off for lack of another ride. Can't bring myself to go back to the Montero. With the thumper I can work on the old bike AND still ride! Doubt I will like those front controls as much, but ya never know. Didn't think about the trade-in angle; that might work out easier.

Cheers,

Mike, fixing the trailer bed for the MC pick-up

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.