Motorcycle Forum banner

I Can't stand to ride with this guy!!!!

31K views 109 replies 40 participants last post by  Klrlindy63 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm buying this used mesh jacket from a guy in Florida and we get to talking about "Compatible Riding styles."

How important it is, expecially on a cross-country, to find someone who's compatible.

Seriously now, could you stand to ride with yourself? I know I couldn't!

I like to ride fast, and stop a LOT! I'm sure the dozens of drivers I pass, who all catch up and see me parked at the pawn shop, thrift store, flea market,....think I'm a complete idiot.

That's just how I roll.

My buddy likes to ride tank to tank. Iron Ass Warren.

Quarter of a tank and I'm gonna fill up because I know how miserable it is to walk 2 miles with a gas can. He'll see how far he can go with the red light on.

Interstate highways? No way. I'll go 100 miles out of my way to avoid droning down at superslab at 75 mph. Gimme those back roads!

He brags about doing Coast to Coast in a week. Yeah, right, how much fun was that? Did you even SEE anything besides I-40? Eat anywhere BESIDES the five same corporate restaurants at every exit?

Intercom? Hell no. Last thing I want to do while I"m riding is listen to you blather!

Tunes? Strictly for the interstates and boring stretches. I wanna hear that motor when I'm downshifting into corners. Then again, MY bike has a muffler.

His GF's bike is straight piped, which means I ALWAYS have to ride either in front of her, or at least 100 yards behind or I can't even hear myself think. Jesus H. Christ is that annoying. And she loves it. I offered to buy her a new bike if she'll JUST LEAVE THE FACTORY PIPES ON IT!

Me, I wanna ride 100 miles before breakfast. Depart in the dark if we're riding in the heat. At least Warren and I agree on THAT.

Me, I wanna get done by 2-3, shower, nap, and then enjoy finding somewhere decent to eat. Picking motel rooms in the dark, no the hell way.

Warren wants to price shop every motel for a mile. Dang it, I don't CARE if you can save $7. I just want a hot shower and a bed.

I gotta admit, he's the master of Priceline deals...

He wants to ride to dinner. I ABSOLUTELY DO NOT want to get back on the bike after riding since 6:30 am. Gimme a motel across the street from several restaurants we can walk to.

Speed. With a full helmet, windscreen, muffler, suspension that actually works, etc. I naturally ride 10mph faster than a guy in an open face helmet and sunglasses, even if he's drowning out the wind noise with his Ipod.

(NVH determines how fast most folks "naturally" ride/drive --- noise, vibration & harshness). Turn the radio up, even in a clunker, and they go faster.

Hand signals. Well, we generally agree on the basic ones...

Leading vs. Following. Warren gets lost more than anyone I've ever met, so I usually lead. He likes to ride SO MUCH that getting lost, well that's just a chance to do EVEN MORE RIDING!!! Me, I'll stop and google a map.

Yeah, ok, so what about you and YOUR riding partner(s). What drives you nuts. What do you agree on?

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Says it all.. Why I usually make my Lengthy Road Trips Alone and Just say where to meet at the destination .. For short Local Cruises of less than 200 Miles figure there are no rules to stop here and there .. But for a Reason Biggest Peeve is meet up at a Gas Station that has all facilities then need to stop 20 miles later to Gas up or pee ..

#9 ·
......... I wanna hear that motor when I'm downshifting into corners.........
Personally, "I" like the exhaust grumble when I twist the throttle, and the acceleration from a stop, as I go thru the gears.

Some like the cornering, and I guess I do as well, but not as much.

As for stopping, SURE, why not?! Just like to get where I'm going in a reasonable amount of time, is all.

-soupy

#10 ·
I think we've all ridden with "that guy". You know, the guy that invites himself on a ride, and then complains about the destination. The guy that thinks you owe him the ultimate riding experience, but offers no tangible suggestions. The guy that is too cheap to give a waitress a decent tip, but brags his motorcycle cost him $30,000. The guy that doesn't want to get gas at "this" gas station, and then doesn't even offer to buy you a drink when everyone else wanted to ditch him while he was filling up ten minutes later. You know, that guy.:biggrin:

#11 ·
You forgot about the guy that doesn't fill up with everyone else but signals a need to stop 25 miles down the road. Yea. I know that guy!!! Maybe that was your 10 minute guy. Wasn't clear.

#13 ·
You and I could never get along on a long ride. I ride tank refill to tank refill so 200 miles at a stretch is no big deal for me. I prefer a 2 lane road but if I am not sure where a 2 lane will lead me I do not hesitate to use the superslab instead. For me every ride must have a destination but not necessarily a planned path. If I intend to go 700 miles one day I am not dismayed to find myself ready to quit at 600 miles or needing to go to 800 miles for some reason.
As far as rooms, I worry about that when I am tired. I do try to avoid a situation where I must leave my room during rush hour traffic in the morning so I usually prefer to get a room after I pass a big city, not before. I have sometimes added 100 miles to a day just to get into that position. I have no aversion to riding out to supper. That is just a part of my ride and I enjoy it.
Leaving in the morning has nothing to do with sunrise. I take my time and enjoy the breakfast bar at most places. I would rather be on the road at 8:00 PM than be on the road at 5:00AM. A departure time of 8:00 AM suits me just fine and 12 hours later I am ready to look for a room but I am not desperate to find one for a few hours more.

#15 ·
Although maybe not the same circumstances, I see a lot of me and my riding buddy in the original post!
LOL

He's the more patient and far more experienced rider.

I normally ride as far as I can between fill-ups, but sometimes that leaves me feeling achy or uncomfortable later in the day.
I also prefer riding at the crack of dawn -- it seems more refreshing -- and finishing by mid-afternoon.

The one rule I have never broken is riding and drinking. When I go to dinner, I always have at least one beer -- so it's walk or take a cab.

Hope everyone got a fun ride in this weekend!

:71baldboy:

#17 ·
Iron Ass Warren.
I laughed way to hard at this nickname.

My riding partners really just depend on the ride.
If it's a destination I have in mine, I'm hit it n get it, tank to tank, the wind'll dry the pee, don't stop unless I have to. (Kidding about the pee part... but i've thought it... specially after you take a leak, fuel up, then friggin' 30 minutes later you have to pee again)

But there are times, I want to roll slow, go out to Possum Kingom, or down into the hill country, cruise, enjoy the ride....

Different partners for each type of trip.

#18 ·
Yeah, ok, so what about you and YOUR riding partner(s). What drives you nuts. What do you agree on?
I have two regular riding partners, one is my sister. All three of us ride pretty much the same ride, we can anticipate what the other is going to do in almost any given situation. We all like ridding about the same distance before taking a break. Most importantly we really enjoy each others company.

If someone drives me nuts, I don't ride with them. I suppose that is why I very seldom get involved in large group rides.

#19 ·
I have actually only ridden with someone else one time, and that was just for a short afternoon trip. I'm a loner when it comes to riding. A guy from work invited me a couple weeks ago and l was going to go, but my father-in-law was in the hospital so l backed out. I would ride with him because l like his laid back personality, but l am not really interested in riding with groups of people.

#21 · (Edited)
Well, Touring the way I do, depends if Christine can make it or not.
I dunno how she can pee so many times, and not just turn into dust & blow away.
But without her, then I like trying to see , how far I can go.
But, one thing that is important, is...
Its ok, doing an early start, if you are heading West, but having to come back again, its not worth setting off before 10 - 11 cos the sun is right there, in the middle of the road, and you cannot see Doo Doo.
No, we do not have any comms devices either.
Take Care Out There

#26 ·
This entire thread is very interesting. I have ridden with a whole lot of different people and I've seriously NEVER thought about any of this. I'm not sure why, either. I imagine the other riders have all had their quirks, but they have never entered into my riding experience.

A good friend of mine and I are thinking of doing the 10-day Edelweiss Tour of the Swiss Alps soon. We'll be in a group of about a dozen riders. Maybe this thread will force it's way into my perceptions at that time . . . maybe.

Maybe I'm just too easy going to care . . . :p

#29 ·
i ride so fast that i try to drop my self.
That reminds me of the first time I trailered a bike over 500 miles. Damn, that guy followed me in and out of parking lots, through the drive in, no matter HOW fast I sped on the Interstate he stayed right there on my butt like a pimple. I'd forget "He" was back there and find myself briefly SHOCKED that someone would follow me so close!

So I wish you luck "dropping" yourself, but don't foresee you having any more luck than I did....unless the safety chains AND the hitch were to fail...

I have seen guys passed by their own rear wheel in sports cars... does that count?

#28 ·
I don't mind loud pipes, but when the guys unnecessarily rev the engines like in a parking lot ... that's irritating. When i got to hear constantly about how much better your bike is than any of mine ... that's annoying, or if a member of the group is a hot dog or doesn't follow the group and creates a dangerous situation of the other riders ... that is just unacceptable.

#30 ·
I have a small group of riding buddies that ride together quite a bit. We all have the same riding styles, endurance, attitudes, skills, etc.; and mesh together very well.

There are a few "friends of friends" that occasionally ride with us. Some fit in, others don't.

My biggest problems with others are the riders that seem to be more concerned with posing than actually riding, want to stop in every town for a beer, or are generally inconsiderate to the others in the group.

#31 ·
Balls I say!!

I hacked wades page today!! I am the Iron ass guy that he is talking about, I have nearly 100,000 miles on this motorcycle 2010 FLHSTC and I got those miles by going out and doing my thing. What wade did not tell you is that I am the reason that he finally after all these years is discovering the open road. He insisted that going any kind of distance was not what he wanted to do, I found him his first sport tour and have had the absolute pleasure of teaching him the rules of the road and how to cope with riding the distance. all I need in the morning is a large cup of coffee with a couple of espresso shots and I can easily ride 100-150 miles before breakfast, and as far as being tired at the end of the day? no I am on an adventure!! rain, thunder storm,cold, wind,heat, ******* drivers, are all part of being on a bike but this is why we are the ones who get to see the stunning beauty of the open road, thats right you all have that memory of that trip where you just slowed down and mouthed the word WOW at your riding partner.:71baldboy:

#32 ·
lol, you *astard! Don't forget I know YOUR password! Get your own MCforum account and start contributing instead of being paranoid about what I say about you here!

And thanks, Warren. Really and truly. Thanks. Thanks for teaching me how to ride safely, helping find a terrific bike, gettting my sorry ass out from in front of a computer an onto the open road, Thanks for everything. You're a true friend in every sense of the word.

*password CHANGED* lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.