Motorcycle Forum banner

Snowboarding gloves...

4K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  hogcowboy 
#1 ·
Don't cut the mustard. Rode yesterday with both some DaKine snowboarding gloves and some similar, no-name, leather winter gauntlet gloves. The DaKines simply aren't sufficiently windproof. Heat is lost much faster through ballistic fabric than through good old Elsie hide.

Through yard sales, thrift store shopping, etc. I've ended up with an entire spectrum of gloves from leather lobster gloves (thumb, 4 fingers), the gauntlets, 2pr snowboarding gloves, two pair armor-back gloves, and the generic leather work gloves I wear in nicer weather. In winter I try and always keep one layer of warm in the panniers, either an extra outerlayer or thermal underwear, neck gator, and heavier gloves than I left the house with.

You got a favorite pair of riding gloves? I hate to spend $125 on a nice pair, seeing as ALL of mine together didn't cost $50, but....maybe ONE SUPER nice pair would be worth owning..

#2 ·
These are the gloves l bought Wade. They are super comfortable and, believe it or not, WAY warmer than they look. They are not insulated, just nice thick leather. They are warmer than the cheaper $50 gauntlets that l bought at Cycle Gear. I also bought a nice pair of silk liners that make them even warmer if l need. I have ridden as low as the high 20's and not gotten cold in them. I got mine for $110 on Ebay from a seller who bought them and they didn't fit. A head's up...they run small. Mine are 2XL and not a bit too big. I normally wear an XL.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ducati-Cors...dise&hash=item23452bc2ca&vxp=mtr#ht_129wt_987

#3 ·
Gloves

In my many posts about gloves, you will notice I mention rain covers often. Also rain covers for boots. A good pair of winter gloves, mine cost $22-, with the rain covers work fine. Not as warm are my Alpinestars pair, that allow better feeling. The same RAIN COVERS go over these gloves. and the RAIN COVERS, also go over my other, fuzzy inside leather gloves, and the mittens.
Those RAIN COVERS, get around a lot. They also help keep the wind off the gloves, and as an added bonus, they BLOCK THE RAIN.
I got my RAIN COVERS from the bicycle store. Riding again on Thursday, and wouldn't you know it, rain is predicted.

Unkle Crusty*

#5 ·
I went into the grocery store once on a trip and bought a pair Playtex gloves used to wash dishes. Worked great. Brought the only dry pair I had in and bought the largest I could find. In a pinch you do what you have to!

#10 ·
I have a pair of winter leather gloves, gauntlet I seal them with "mink oil".
I also have a pair of those black rubber gloves they sell at the army surplus. I wear them over my winter gloves if its pretty cold or wet.
I would call them rain covers.

I have an extra pair of cold weather construction gloves, I think they are Walls brand. They work pretty good, give me better feel.

Protection from the bike makes a world of difference.

On my Goldwing I had full protection up front, Either of these gloves worked all day in pretty much whatever temp I would ride in. Lets say above freezing anyway.

Bikes with just a windshield and no hand wind blockage, they give out after 20 - 25 miles @ temps below 40F.

I have a pair of those hand covers they sell for ATV riders. They Velcro over your handle bars and you slide your hand up inside. They allow me to make the almost 40 miles to work I need in temps down to 38-40.

My favorite gloves are a pair of cheap ($14) leather "roping" gloves. I used saddle soap to loosen them up and get any extra die out of them. Then mink oiled them a few times. They are pretty good in a shower for a few miles, but not at all water tight in a downpour for the long haul.

Here is a bad picture of the cheap pair after about six months of use:

#11 ·
reasonable point there Wade,I constructed to be like that yeas ago now I am promising eyes "I don't dick round about rubber".About 8 years ago I was fed back theater to Texas from woods on my Ultra on what appeared to be reasonable wheels but when I pull into Louisiana I feel something overlooking so I beefed over and there is a nickel sized pigment sticking out of the sidewall.Like a feller I remind a little freshener out to shrink the bubble and try to stairway home.You finally it that didn't work, I yells a bump on a bridge and when the dosage of the bike came back down POW.At least I wasn't too well from home and didn't crash.The suspension was not old or worn too bad for some purpose the lime just gives it up.So here is another point to add ,just because the tire aren't worn out by looking at the tacking doesn't always mean you are sensible you require to do a Good visual substitution from time to time. Here is the kit im buying exhausted

#12 · (Edited)
4 or 5 years ago I did a 30 mile commute to and from work. Unless there was snow, I rode.
did it for a year.
Only thing that worked, hand wise, below 32f, were mittens.
And yes, u can ride with mittens.
Kinda cumbersome, but they work.

As for everyday, relatively sane weather, 8 buck Mechanix knock offs from the dollar store lately.

#13 ·
Only thing that worked, hand wise, below 32f, were mittens.
And yes, u can ride with mittens.
Kinda cumbersome, but they work.
This is a true statement. I used mittens one year myself. Mittens are almost sparing gloves used in boxing. A lot of insulation over the fingers and they work. But man are they cumbersome.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.