Motorcycle Forum banner

Your favorite product to clean carbs

7K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  hogcowboy 
#1 ·
I have read and read all your threads about cleaning carbs and would like to know your favorite product. My daughter's fiancé is working on a 65 Mustang and the carb float bowl is full of what looks like a calcium depost 1/8 to 1/8 inch thick.

So my question what is the best product to clean this bowl?

Thanks in advance.

John

#2 ·
What are these "carbs" you speak of??:p

I used Berryman's Carb dip last summer on a few small engine carbs that had been sitting around and varnished pretty bad. It is basically a pail of carb cleaner with a metal screen basket, so you can just dunk it overnight to loosen up all the deposits. Works better than the spray type cleaners.

I also used the tip cleaning tools from an oxy-acetylene torch to reach into all the ports and jets. Just be careful not to be too vigorous in the scrubbing.

And post pics of the pony when he gets it done

#3 ·
I'm guessing your "white deposits" are aluminum oxide, or "white rust" which occurs when aluminum sits in contact with water.

I'd probably cross my fingers and soak the carb in CLR. I might also locate a replacement carburetor...FIRST.

Taking a quick peek... LOTS of choices on Ebay from $169 to $445

First I'd mechanically clean, scrape, and wire brush out as much as I could but this carb sounds like a goner anyway.

Actually, I wouldn't even waste my time. I'd just order a fresh carb and skip the "Mission Impossible."

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...1965+Ford+Mustang+Base+carburetor&_sacat=6030

#4 ·
Geez, don't waste your time with CLR! Use vinegar and water, up to 90% vinegar - it works MUCH better and only costs pennies.

I have used many MANY carb cleaners over the decades and all of the soak or boil cleaners from the auto parts stores work equally well.

#10 ·
Ultrasonic

I take mine to my Ultrasonic Cleaner and they are like new inside and out without any scrubbing, etc. Only cost about $50-60. Way better and safer then any "carb cleaner degreaser." Safe on rubber parts.
I also agree,mine came out perfect with ultrasonic cleaner,I think I put simple green for aluminum instead of berrymans,cause I got scared the heat from cleaner might lite up berrymans,cause it does say flammable on can,idk

#8 ·
Myself when having equipment with carbs.....
I run the additives n have never had to clean a carb.
Now i run FI......
I still use additives....[/QUOTE

That doesn't help a carb that has been sitting for 20+ years, but thanks for the advice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.