Motorcycle Forum banner

How many miles on your bike(s)?

3K views 20 replies 18 participants last post by  markk53 
#1 ·
Hey folks,

I recently read in a mc mag about a guy who on April 4, 2009 turned his odometer over for the 10th time. This means that he had ridden his bike for one million (1,000,000) miles. During this time on the road he has gone through 3 engines, 2 transmissions, and a boat load of tires. If you are going to Sturgis you may see it.

I thought it might be interesting to see if anyone else has come close to or bettered that milestone. Please list your bike and if you don't mind let us know what you have done to keep it in such good form and any major replacements.

As for myself, I have a 1982 Honda V45 Sabre with 41,600 miles. No major replacements although, I am about the 4th owner so I do not know its complete history.

Jim

#2 ·
I bet it'll be hard to find many people who have had their machines long enough to put that many miles on them.
I'm the fourth owner of my machine that I know of. 1980 Yamaha 850 Special. Right at 64k.
As far as work done, who knows. Personally, I resurected it from the dead. Mostly carb and electrical work, tires, things of that nature.

#9 ·
I have a 2000 Honda Shadow ACE with 23.5K miles on it... I am the 3rd owner and put the last 3.5K on it in less than 6 mos. The 4th owner will be putting the next batch on...

I just put a down payment on a 2009 FLHTCU and I will be putting all the miles on that soon enough :thumbsup:

#16 ·
My '73 Suzuki had 6200 miles on it when I got it from the original owner in September 2010. It now is up to 7500 after the "restoration".

My 85 Honda had 7200 miles on it when I bought it from its second owner (who had owned it since '95) in December 2010. It now has 8300 after getting it it back "road worthy" from it's two plus year slumber.

#17 ·
Well, being as I started this shindig and iamjustifyd has requested an update from those who replied here is mine. I still have the same bike which now has 47590 miles on her. That is only a pitiful addition of 272.27 miles per month since the post. When business was down I did not get to ride much.

I am however going to look at a 2001 Yamaha Road Star tomorrow that unless it is not as advertised I will pick up Monday for 3500. It only has 36000 miles on her. I will promptly, next month anyway, put about 800 more miles on the odometer.

#19 ·
LOL@Mark.

Well I had a Ninja 650 and got to 16.5k and traded it in, so that's close enough to the 20k mark!

It needed a new front tire, the 15k service interval, an oil change, and MAYBE a new chain/sprokets, so I got out of it just in time, LOL.

Since my job change, I ride a fraction of what I used to, so my NEW Ninja I got in Jan of 2010 as of this point (had exactly 0 miles on it new) has a smidge over 8k on it. Obviously I'm lucky if I even get to ride weekends at this point...

I plan to keep this current bike till it gives up the ghost, so we'll see how many miles I get out of it. I'm sure it will be WELL over 20k.

#21 ·
Awe, c'mon. We all know that they all can do the big miles if treated right now. We knew that within a year of the advent of the H-D Evo engine design. They had a good engine there, regardless of the "primative nature of the OHV design versus the SOHC and DOHC designs generally used by the Japanese.

Of course now we have pushrod engines from two of the four Japanese companies now. What's next... flat-heads? :D

You know it IS possible to buy both the flat-head and knuckle-head design Harley type engines in reproductions, patents either have run out or don't exist so for choppers there are companies putting out the engines, which are probably really good since they are applying current metalurgy and machining in making them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.