Motorcycle Forum banner

New legislation aims to stop funding for motorcycle checkpoints

32K views 38 replies 18 participants last post by  Ducati_82 
#1 ·
A bill has been introduced in the US Senate to keep federal dollars from funding motorcycle-only checkpoints at the state and local level. Seen as discriminatory and wasteful by many, checkpoints where motorcyclists are stopped for random checks by law enforcement are not popular with the riding community.

US Senators Jeanne Shaheen (D-N.H.), Ron Johnson ( R.-Wis.), Kelly Ayotte (R.-N.H.) and Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) introduced the Stop Motorcycle Checkpoint Funding Act yesterday. This bill (S. 2078) would prohibit federal funds from being used for these checkpoints.

More than a half million dollars of federal tax money has been spent over the last two years to pull over motorcyclists at checkpoints. Groups such as the American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) believe that this money could be better spent on rider education programs and programs that could prevent distracted driving. The money spent could have been used to provide basic rider education courses for 10,000 potential riders.

The AMA is providing a convenient link for riders to contact their Senators and urge them to co-sponsor the bill:

Stop MOCs

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm certainly against this sort of out of control Gestapo practices by our government against the riding community. Saying that it is unconstitutional has little meaning these days since checkpoints for DUI have been around for years, and have been declared unconstitutional also. But still, they have not stopped them.

A half million dollars in spending on the federal level is so infinitesimal as to not even register to these people. I wish these Senators well and hope they actually push for this legislation. But if the locals believe it to be a money-maker they will probably continue at their own expense..... we'll see. Unfortunately my trust in government and law enforcement is about the same, nonexistent.

#5 ·
I've never seen one either but I have heard of them. It's just wrong but you can bet they'll just stop everyone and let the cars go quickly and nail the bikes. This country is becoming ever closer to Communism. True freedom is a thing talked about in history class of the beginning of the USA. Not something we now have. You are guilty of everything, now prove you are not!

#8 ·
Ralph, those of us in the free world are still trying to keep it that way. Too much government intrusion now but I understand where you are coming from living in California. You will probably get your desire soon enough.

#12 ·
Actually, while they may not exactly be checkpoints, they definitely target motorcycle drivers in the spring to check their documentation to see if they're driving alone on apprentice probationary licenses. They just pull you over randomly without cause and ask for your license and reg.

Dan

#13 ·
You are guilty of everything, now prove you are not!
You are so right, cops take the attitude that you are guilty until proven innocent.
One of my run-ins with the law they wanted an alibi. When I told them I didn't need one because the burden of proof was on them they went ballistic. I have a rule, never answer questions or submit to questioning by cops.

#14 ·
That's a good rule to have Blaine.. The presumption of innocence is dead, at least in practice. The real presumption is that of guilt, from the moment the institution of criminal proceedings begin.

From the absurdly low standard of "probably cause" to arrest a citizen, to the pitifully slanted pre-trial proceedings, to the trial itself, the presumption weights heavily against all those who have been charged with a crime. Those who have, understand what I'm talking about. If you have never been charged, be very thankful, and pray it stays that way.

#15 ·
Yep. Not only are you guilty but anything you might say WILL BE USED in anyway possible to make you look even more guilty. Keep your trap closed except to request a lawyer immediately. An arrest is nothing to take lightly.

#16 ·
Never seen a Motorcycle checkpoint in NY

I have never seen a motorcycle checkpoint in upstate NY. But it's like the tractor trailers having check points. Last I knew 70-70% of the tractor trailers on the road were unsafe and illegal. One drove into a restaurant near us and killed 2 people.

#24 · (Edited)
but then again that would depend on your definition of unsafe.
How's this for starters...

Rear shocks angled so far back they no longer articulate, fork lowers with less than an inch of travel before they bang into the bottom tree, and no front brake. Unsupported head pipes that will eventually break the head bolts (more so due to a lack of suspension). A metal seat (again, lacking suspension on both ends). You couldn't pay me enough to ride that past the driveway.

Piles like that are as common on CraigsList as water is in the Atlantic Ocean.

#28 ·
You leave more stopping room and you have to pay closer attention to what you're doing and how you're riding but you don't have to go at 1/4 speed. Keep in mind that the original choppers were built that way to go faster. Everything not essential was cut off to save weight and make the bike fast, and most of them didn't have front brakes. (Heck, the old board track racers didn't have any brakes.)

It's not for everybody though, and it does take an additional skill set. You definitely have to be on your game to ride a real bobber. I'd guess a lot of riders wouldn't feel comfortable or safe riding a bike like that. It's been so many years for me that it would take me awhile to get back into the right mind set, no doubt.

#29 ·
As I said "for sale by owner"

True I wouldn't even sit on a bike like that, but unsafe????
Unsafe is some type of failure to operate as designed, and that type of bike is not designed for riding like a Ninja, it is for sitting in the yard, in parades, cruisin up and down main street, probably never seen 50mph, or at least not twice.

Front brake, I wouldn't go without a front brake, but its not needed for safe operation, go to a shop and ask how often the front brake pads are replaced compared to rear brakes......you'll see there are alot of bikes out there using about 10% front brakes......thats probably why alot of people think a car can stop faster than a bike.

Angle of the shocks......call Indian and tell them about it.

#30 ·
All I can say is when that car suddenly pulls out of the driveway and cuts across all lanes of travel, I want that front brake. I sure wouldn't want to rely on a rear drum brake in that scenario. I definitely wouldn't want to go through multiple scenarios with just a rear drum. Removing a front brake's worth of weight these days is a moot point when the typical American consumes four Big Macs for lunch. :biggrin:

FWIW I go through two sets of front pads per one set of rear.

#31 ·
Who uses brakes. I have yet to put a set of brakes on a bike and two were new bikes. One with 63k and the other with 66k. With an assortment of 20, 30 and 40k in others. Throttle. Never enough throttle.

#34 ·
Well heck Grumpy, the last time I got pulled over it was in Duncan.
Nice young man said I was doing 119 in a 90 klik zone when I passed him.

Unkle Krusty*
Duncan is the last place I got a ticket as well. I worked at Hayes at the time, almost the same story they pulled in behind us in the Hayes parking lot giving both of a ticket for doing 119. Only thing is I passed the other guy he ticketed so one of us wasn't doing 119. :71baldboy:

#35 ·
Ticket

I did not get a ticket.
There was a grey pickup truck right up my tail pipe as I passed the unmarked van, with the good looking plain clothes police lady looking like his wife.
I commented on the married couple look, and what about the truck that was too close to me. We had a nice chat, I asked him to stay alert as I would be on my other quicker bike next time.
He said the unmarked van and the cute chick thing worked well.

There are times I think our cops are easier to get along with than other places.

Unkle Krusty*

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.