Motorcycle Forum banner

Holding the clutch while stopped

31K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  djgill1280 
#1 ·
When I stop I have developed the habit of letting off the clutch to right before the friction zone. As in I let it out until I am at the point where the bike will start to move forward if i release it anymore. I do this so when traffic moves forward I can release the clutch slowly, but start moving immediately, to give throttle and go.

I heard this destroys clutches or is bad for the clutch. Is this true? Its a habit I picked up a while back because, real talk, I stalled a lot from stop to go in 1st gear. :(

Thank you in advance for your answers biker sages

#2 ·
--

I'll answer before the sages come on. If you're not actually engaging the clutch, there should be no wear. Your hand may get tired, though. If you do have it in first gear and ready to go, then you also have the advantage of being able to release it to move forward if you see someone is going to hit you from behind.

The only downside I see, is that if you were not paying attention, you might be creeping ahead when you didn't want to.

--

#3 ·
you're fine. MC clutches are designed for a lot of wear and tear in the "friction zone".

I often have the clutch pulled in ... at stop lights or in stop-and-go traffic. I just did it on the 10 Fwy in L.A. on Sat afternoon ... traffic jam. Theres no problem with the whole deal.

The only problem (for me) is that my clutch on my cruiser is very stiff ... and eventually my left hand starts to ache if there's a lot of stop-and-go. If I have been off the bike for a while - I feel it. :)

dT

#4 ·
Do not sit on the edge of engaging the clutch. It will heat up the clutch and cause wear. Holding the clutch all the way in works just fine without the threat of burning out your clutch. These clutches are far more forgiving than the dry clutch in my car but they do experience wear if you constantly slip them.

#7 ·
We all stall every once in a while. Anyone who says different is a big fat liar. You'll get to know the sweet spot on your bike and it will come easier. I still have a little problem on big hills. I almost pulled a wheelie the other day cause I dumped the clutch too quick on a hill. I'd much rather stall the bike than pull a wheelie.....

#11 ·
Yep, the brake trick does work wonders on hills. Once you start getting it, you rely less and less on the brake. I tend to favor the front brake. Though, if you don't release the brake in time, you can still stall out. I tend to only stall out when I overthink it. I think that's why they say learning to ride is more of a mental skill than a physical one. Or maybe I'm just mental!! Every time I stop to get gas I do a u-turn to get out at the light where it's safer. I hear Capt. Crash in my head yelling "turn your freaking head!!"

#12 ·
Vixxen .. .the advice above is all good.

I think what people are trying to tel you -in their own way - is that you need to learn EXACTLY where the clutch catches on your bike. And then if you want to hold the clutch lever in, make sure you are just outside the friction zone.

If you are on flat ground and you just "touch" the friction zone with the clutch, your bike will move forwards a little bit. so - you know where things happen. and this is no big deal ... it's stop-and-go traffic like I said.

I agree that you should not burn your clutch by slipping the friction zone on a hill ... but no-one really does this. you're in more danger of accidentally stalling the engine on the hill ... which is a bit confusing for new riders (especially if there is traffic behind you!). the best thing is to go and practice hill starts when there is NO traffic, and nobody is watching if you screw up :)

dT

#13 ·
I agree with distantThunder, go find a place you can practice your takeoffs. Learn to do it using your rear brake and your front brake. Never know when you won't be able to put that left foot down thus not allowing you to use your right on the rear brake. You really need to learn that friction zone spot on your bike. Once you do, riding will be a lot easier and less scary for you.

Zippy is right, sometimes even very experienced riders stall out on hills. Good luck!

#14 ·
Wow Amazing responses guys. I really did learn a lot. Thanks Sages!
I do the front break engage on hills but I should try with the rear. Somehow i think that would be easier to roll out of while moving the clutch into the friction zone and rolling on the throttle.

Also I stopped holding the clutch close to the friction zone today and yesterday while riding. Just full engage to friction zone and then add throttle. I used to stall so much doing this. Now I didn't stall at all going from full engage to disengage. So i think whatever handicap I was on, I overcame it. Thanks a lot for the help! And thanks for the reassurance that we all still STALL.

<3

#15 ·
You do give it some throttle as you start letting the clutch out don't you? You should be doing that simultaneously like Dods said. If you aren't, that could be why you are stalling. Practice doing both at the same time...slow & easy. You should be able to hold the throttle in the same position and slip the clutch a little to start the bike moving then pull the clutch back in and do it again. That is your "friction zone". I hope this helps!

#16 ·
Vixxen

it's totally OK to handle hills using just the front brake. then releasing the brake, and using the clutch and throttle to accelerate and GO. its easier to learn the front brake technique, and it works surprisingly well on many different kinds of hills. with a little practice you will get smooth with the clutch, and apply more power with the throttle. nearly always if you are stalling on hills - its mostly because you didnt roll onto the throttle hard enough (more juice needed).

stalling your bike on a hill, when there is a car behind you, can be quite embrassing, and if that car happens to be almost sitting on the rear bumber of your bike - it can be quite a hassle. HAHAHA!! thats why we go and practice in a quiet place.

later ... come back and do the rear brake start. and you'll find then that its actually pretty easy - because by that time you will have the clutch and throttle "dialed in". :)

dT

#18 ·
i don't remember if i saw it in a video, or just read it on a forum, but a good way to practice your friction zone would be to find a parking spot that has those concrete blocks on the end. back your bike into the block, and just practice letting in the clutch out until your roll forward for a few feet. back up and repeat until you get the feel for the friction zone. i've stalled my bike from a stop plenty of times...more so after i got the bmw. hell i've stalled after i've gotten rolling a few feet because i wasn't used to it. you can't read your way into knowing this stuff you've got to get that muscle memory going. i actually stalled yesterday on a hill, even after using the rear brake technique to keep from rolling to far back lol.

#20 ·
--

Imagine this. I was teaching several classes of young Marines early this year down in Yuma, AZ, on ATV riding. We were using sport ATVs with motorcycle type gears and a clutch. None of them had ever driven a vehicle with a clutch. That was a real trick. :confused:

--

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.