Motorcycle Forum banner

Honda Trail 90 Restoration

21K views 56 replies 9 participants last post by  Unkle Krusty 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey folks! I picked up a 1970 Honda Trail 90 at the same time that I got Bluebelle. A twofer! Anyway, I wasn't sure what to do with it since I already had a Honda Trail 110 - Trail Dude of course. Then fate brought a very heads-up young man and his father to the Stable one day and it became obvious what to do. I'd teach him how to restore the bike, he and his dad would pay for all the parts, and then the bike would be his. Cool.

Here is the bike as it came to me last fall. Not bad, but it needs help. The muffler has rotted severely and must be replaced. No battery. Some bad cables . . . you know, the usual for a 44 year-old machine.

Here it is all stripped and getting its first wash.

More as it develops - which will be quickly because the young man who will get "Little Joe" (as he has already named him) is 14. With the typical 14 year-old patience level.:p

See less See more
#36 ·
Yes, I did see it. I am sure you will always cherish it. GS is a wonderful person. Hopefully you will hang around him some and continue learning even after Little Joe starts taking you places. He has a skill that would be extremely hard to match. Someone needs to be able to continue bringing those old bikes back to life.

#46 ·
Hi guys, I just went back and relived the revival of little Joe by reading this thread and I just wanted to tell you all how much I've really learned from GraceShredder, not just about motorcycles but about life in general. Looking back at the process it seemed to all go by so fast but I can recall every little pearl of wisdom that my friend has bestowed upon me, I use all of what he taught me on a daily basis. Thank you Grace you are a great friend and mentor.

As a side note We took Little Joe and Trail Dude for an actual trail ride, I laid him down once at low speeds and no one was hurt but I learned a lot about from my little tumble.

#52 · (Edited)
I just want to say thank you again to graceshredder :D. I also wanted to tell you guys that I did my first solo repair on him yesterday, I took the rear wheel off (that's a real pain) and switched the blinker connections, so now when I turn the switch to left the left blinker comes on! What a novel idea ;). Also today and yesterday I put another 30 kilometers on him down at the empty school parking lot practicing maneuvers, shifting, braking, etc...

#54 ·
Brady,
I wouldn't bet my life on this answer, BUT . . . See that support bar that is coming off the bottom of the center hub assembly? It is like nothing I have ever seen on any Honda Trail bike I've worked on. My educated guess would be 'no' . . . this wheel is NOT from a Honda Trail bike. For what it's worth.

#56 ·
My thoughts exactly. Where have you been, Graceshredder??
I have a '77 Trail 90. That wheel does not look anything like the wheels on my bike.
I believe that it is a front wheel. That appears to be a speedometer drive just above the axle hole in the picture.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.