Motorcycle Forum banner

Duel Sport bike-- mostly for street driving

5K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  vistavette 
#1 ·
The question I have is what kind of tires I should get? Since I'll mostly be riding on the street. Keep in mind that I'll also be riding in the dirt/rocky mountain trail type stuff a good amount of time too (for fun). I hear going 50/50 is wise, but since I'll be doing much more rode riding is it a good idea?

I live in San Bernardino county, lots of trails around me. (a nice big desert right behind my house) that I want to ride on, but I'll mainly be using this bike for transporting me to work (30 minutes away on road), and I'll be driving the freeway every once and awhile (about 1 hour freeway ride to visit my family).

I'm also a brand new rider. Never rode a motorcycle/dirtbike in my life. I need a new vehicle (the cage on wheels will be passed down to my little brother) somewhat ASAP, and I know it's going to be a motorcycle. I'm male, 21 years old, 5/11- and I weigh about 125 pounds (skinny bone Jones, I know...). Preferably I'm looking for a bike that'll be on the cheap side ($3000 is all I'm willing to spend on my starter). So if you guys could recommend me any of those I'd also be extremely grateful. :71baldboy:

#4 ·
Most dual purpose bikes are sold now with street legal knobbies, if you are buying from a dealer they might switch out for dual purpose tires that are better for the street. Off road knobbies aren't very comfortable for street use, but you will have to try them to see if they will be what will work for you or not. Where I live in Maryland if you ride off road knobbies are better because of softer soil.

#5 ·
Aggressive knobbie on the front wil give you some front end bounce on the highway as well as vibration in the bars that I know because my front is a little too aggressive on my DR 650 and too aggressive on the back seems to make it a little squishy on the highway to me.What size bike did you get,I wish I would have went with a smaller one than the 650 cause it is a little heavy in the dirt but I still love it,I call it the Bush Pig because it will go pretty much anywhere if you can stay on!

#6 ·
My bad you don't have the bike yet.I would suggest no more than a 250 since you are Skin and Bones Jones and new to riding.First go take the BRC! As for tires 50/50 should work fairly decent but you're just going to have to check it out,everybody is different,good luck and be safe.

#7 ·
I guess it depends on what off road terrain you will be riding. The softer or looser the terrain, the more aggressive the tire you want. I ride in a lot of sandy terrain when off road, as well as snow, so I went with one of the most aggressive DOT approved tires. TrakMaster II, front and rear. These are rated at 20% on road and 80% off road. The trade off is faster wear on pavement, a bit rougher ride, and your junk will fall asleep from the vibration going down the highway. But there is nothing like the secure feeling when you are off road. And that is why you need to know what terrain you will be riding. You can have the best tire for the street, but is it worth it if you're slipping and sliding everywhere in the dirt?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.