Motorcycle Forum banner

Handlebar Risers for Suzuki SV650S

6K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Stablefull 
#1 ·
Hi guys. After putting a little over 100 miles on my new bike in the first couple of days, l have determined that the one thing l would like to do is to raise the handlebars. I can live with them where they are but l think it would make the bike a whole lot more comfortable on the open road if they were higher and l could sit a little more upright.

I am going to have a shop do it. I just don't have the time and place for it right now. Any ideas as far as what is a good setup? I have seen a few out there and, quite frankly, l don't know where to start. I understand that you have to swap out the brake and clutch cables. Does anyone know how long this type of mod takes and what l should expect to pay for it? Thanks in advance :)

#2 · (Edited)
I assume this represents your risers: http://www.partsoutlaw.com/oemparts/a/suz/508c8d2af8700220a83123e6/steering-stem-sv650k3-k4-k5-k6-k7-ak7
If all you want is to raise them, and not add pull-back, then you can have a small cylinder of aluminum turned and drilled to fit, replacing the center bolt #17 with a longer one. That is how I extended the risers on my S50 Boulevard. I polished mine, and coated them with the Diamond Clear from Eastwood, to keep them shiny. I only added about 1" to mine, and the throttle cable and brake and clutch lines had enough slack. I did have to re-route the throttle cable, so it didn't bind on turns. If you do need to extend your lines/cables, Motion Pro is often recommended for custom lengths.

#4 ·
Thanks for the tips guys.

I want to raise them and also bring them back some so that the bike becomes more of a sport-touring bike rather than a pure sport bike. I love everything else about it.

RobMoore, l watched a video of a guy installing a riser kit on the exact same bike. The kit was made by LSL. After watching the video l did feel like l could do it. However, l don't have my garage set up to do such a project, and l will be going back to school full time starting next month, so l just don't see myself getting it all accomplished before then.

#5 ·
You need a garage? Why do you think I (and others) are called 'shade tree mechanics'? Just find a shady spot, get all your tools and parts arranged, and it should be done in an hour or so. Preparation is the main thing; once you have all you need, at hand, the job practically does itself. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.