Motorcycle Forum banner

My Motorcycle Choice: Is it a good one?

3K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  MicroMetal 
#1 ·
Though I have been reading this forum for some time, this is my first post. I have zero riding experience, but have wanted to start riding for many years. The biggest obstacle was my wife as she was against my riding (not in the "I am the boss--do as I say" way; rather, it was "you are the most important thing in my life--I am afraid you might get hurt" way).

I worked on her for a long time and explained that if I took the safety course, practiced my skills, geared up and chose the right bike, I would increase my odds of riding safely. She told me to go for it on our anniversary (one of the best anniversary presents ever).

The MSF course is scheduled for later this month (yes!) and I have bought the essential gear and will finish gearing up after passing the course. Now, I am trying to pick a good first motorcycle.

For now, I plan to ride in town with very little highway riding (no interstate riding). A local dealership has a 2007 Suzuki GZ 250 for sale with about 1100 miles. Does anyone have this bike? Would you recommend this bike? Are there any negatives to this bike that a new rider wouldn't know?

Thank you for your help. This forum is great and very informative.

Jack

See less See more
#5 ·
I appreciate the feedback. Since I don't have any experience with riding and I don't have any personal experience with bikes, trying to pick one can be a little intimidating.

Thanks for the link to the service manual. I had not found that site yet and it has a lot of useful information if I decide to get this bike.

Winning the wife over took a while (about 5 years or so), but it is worth it.

#7 ·
I started on the GZ250. Excellent starter bike (but so is any 250cc bike). The single-cylinder engine is super simple and easy to maintain. The single carb also means no need to worry about syncing your carbs!

If I had the cash I'd probably still own the geezer.

There are only two negatives I can think of: (1) the stock seat is atrocious and there are no aftermarket seats available (though there was a guy on ebay selling a conversion kit with a Sportster seat), and (2) its pretty useless on the interstate. Fine up to 60 MPH or so, though.

#8 ·
I hadn't thought about the seat. That is something to think about as I was just concentrating on whether the bike would "fit" me (I am 5' 6" and weigh about 160 pounds).

I won't be using the bike for commuting, so most of the time, I think my rides will be 1 or 2 hours at the most. I might do a little highway riding later (no more than 55 MPH), but not interstate riding.

It is hard to choose. Every bike I see, I want. Frankly, I would like to buy about 10 different bikes! (Then, the wife and the bank account would object...)

#9 ·
The thing to remember about that particular 250cc machine is it has VERY limited capabilities - if you ride any at all you will be replacing it very soon. If you know that and your fine with it, buy that sucker and flog it....great bike to learn on.

.....but there are also very learner friendly bikes out there that are more capable, for instance the VStar 650.....Honda Shadow....etc

#11 · (Edited)
if you ride any at all you will be replacing it very soon.
Not necessarily. I didn't outgrow my learner bike (a 400, not a 250, but still) for many years. If you don't often take the highway, a 250 for just around town should be fine for quite some time. Heck, in Europe and Asia, a lot of people ride 125s -- so 250 is already a step up! ;)

If I go for a bike that is bigger than a 250, what are the things I need to be careful about when practicing/riding for the first couple of months?
Controlling your right wrist. Find out where the powerband is (such as, for example, 6K to 9K RPM) and stay below it for a month or two until you feel ready.

Also, the bike itself will be heavier and harder to handle in parking lots as well as corners and curves... nothing you can do about that, though.

#10 ·
Thanks for the reply and you bring up something I need to consider.

Though I have not sat on any, I do like the looks of the VStar 650 and Honda Shadow. But I thought they might be too big for a beginner bike.

If I go for a bike that is bigger than a 250, what are the things I need to be careful about when practicing/riding for the first couple of months?

I take the MSF course at the end of September. Will I just know the particular skills that I need to spend extra time practicing because the bike is bigger?

#13 ·
If I go for a bike that is bigger than a 250, what are the things I need to be careful about when practicing/riding for the first couple of month?
I cant speak for the Shadow cause I havent ridden one.....but I own a VStar 650 and its a VERY forgiving bike. It doesnt have but about 36 horsepower.....its not going to get away from you at all. You could pop the clutch on accident and its not going to wheelie, spin out......might lurch forward a little but basically its a very, very tame machine.

Runs about 90pmh top speed......it gives you enough speed for interstate, tame enough for a beginner, good looks, used you can get one between $2000 and $3000 (in my area) with low miles.....its going to be heavier then the 250 but thats both good and bad. If you can handle the extra weight (and my girlfriend is out on mine right now, its not THAT heavy) you gain the advantage of that weight when it gets windy and when you get on the interstate......you get blown around very easily on a 250 class machine in the wind.

#15 ·
Thanks again for the replies. I had shied away from the bikes bigger than 250 because I was a beginner and I thought the weight might be too much. But it sounds like that it would be alright to consider something bigger.

I am cautious by nature so I would spend plenty of time practicing after the MSF course before trying the street. Plus, some day, when my skills are sufficient, I would like to convince my wife to ride with me in town.

#16 ·
i too was apprehensive about getting anything bigger than a 250.... but not for long! reading a bunch of stuff and asking a bunch of questions made me dump the idea of a 250... i am in the process of looking for a shadow myself... i rode a honda rebel in the msf course... sure... it was nice... and yes, we did not get above 25 mph but feeling how light it was and judging the power of it just going at the speed we were at, no thanks... the shadow i am looking for is actually going to be a 750.... the way i look at it... if you respect the power that the bike has... you wont have much problems there... the weight... just make sure you plant your foot on the ground well when you come to a stop.... o yeh... you WILL dump the bike at some point! thats what everyone has told me! good luck!

#17 ·
I took the MSF course and rode on the gz 250. that bike was pretty small for me and uncomfortable, but im 6'0 and 255lbs.

The MSF instructor told me to look into the Honda Shadow 750, Harley Sportster 883, or to look into standard style bikes.

I bought the harley sportster 883 low and I will tell you that it actually feels alot more stable and easier to handle than the suzuki was during the course.

The wieght on the sportsters and shadows is pretty good and they felt light to me, the shadow was a bit more confortable, but the sportster was a harley and looked better to me.

The sportster has a very forgiving power curve and wont take off on you, id assume that the shadow and vstar would be similar.

So definately sit on the bikes and get a feel for which one you like the most.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.