Motorcycle Forum banner

Storing Motorcycle Outside

17K views 32 replies 16 participants last post by  MikeK77 
#1 ·
Well, Im about to have to move into an apartment from a house, losing my shed storage.

Does anyone here keep their bike outside? During the summer I can understand that a cover can do just fine, but what does someone do in the winter when they have no where to put the bike? will a cover work?

The apartment will not allow cyclesheds, or barns of any sort.

#2 ·
I used to have to store our bikes with friends when we had our apartment. Snow removal was an issue, so the bikes couldn't really be in the parking lot during the winter, and they wouldn't allow me to store them behind the building. Is snow removal an issue there?

#3 ·
Those self storage units are excellent for that if you have them in your area. They are everywhere here. People have more junk than room so instead of selling it or donating the stuff they store in these things never to see the light of day again until those people are dead. True greed. But one of those is exactly where I'd put my bike if push came to shove.

#6 ·
Get a good cover and cover your bike in your parking spot in the garage. I own my own home but usually just cover my bike in the driveway. Who wants to hassle turning it around next to the car in the garage when I want to ride?

#7 ·
It would be in its own parking spot so I do not think the snow removal would be an issue. My concern was snow getting under the cover. I was considering a storage unit from nov/Dec to April. I would bring it is IF it would fit through the door.

#8 ·
I have a carport, don't have any problem with snow blowing up under the cover. Of course snow doesn't get as deep on the carport as it does in the yard.

I think a storage unit is an excellent idea, but I doubt they have an electrical outlet because of fire hazard. So you would need to keep the battery at home on the tender.

#9 ·
Not sure what the regulations are on fuel though in storage units. Might be like mover require draining fuel which I think would be a very bad idea. Simply because it's very hard to get it all out. Having the tank full with stabilizer would be the way I'd want it.

#10 · (Edited)
If that be the only option and no budget for self storage garage, i would have a bike cover, then large tarp over that secured down so wind would not blow it. I would use steel wool to stuff pipes and air intake to keep out mice in winter. Also if they allow you, use bike stand to keep it up off ground.

I recall days of sneaking it inside when I had a first floor apartment.
Was very meticulous about moisture and condensation getting in where it didn't belong.

What about an enclosed small trailer? Buy a used one and park it in your spot. They are registered with DMV in NJ so they can't give you **** about it.

#12 ·
Am I the only one who thinks it's near a sin to store your bike outside ????? I would push it in my apt. or rent a small storage locker for $30 a month before I let my baby sleep outside consistantly........... No offense, but I would give up cable TV or Data on my my smart phone before I would do that......

Signed,
I love my ride........

#20 ·
I had a friend who moved out into the sticks and his new place didn't have a garage, so he bought a 28 ft. cargo trailer and set up a work bench and stored all of his race bikes and tools there, and whenever they went racing, he just hooked up and towed it to the track.
Great idea, right??

Sure, until some d-bag hooks up to your garage and ends up with all 4 of your MX race bikes, your newly acquired trailer and all of your tools not to mention your new roof air and generator.
He was not a happy camper.

#21 ·
That sucks! He should of put on a trailer lock. It's a device that blocks the hitch attachment so it renders the trailer untowable until it is unlocked and taken off.

Had a friend who had his shed broken into and two bikes taken. *******s cut his lock off. Took us only 3 weeks to track down the theives and get the bikes back. Found the guy online, where he posted a pic of his self proclaimed new bikes. His pictures got caught up by Google's web bot and led me to the forum's address.

#29 · (Edited)
If you time leaning into a slight curve as you go through the doorway, You can RIDE it in! the handlebars will tip just enough--- you might scrape a rear turn signal if you don't straighten it up quick enough. (I miss the '70s sometimes...) Oh, yeah, that won't work if your door opens into a hall. It has to open into a room. :)

You either need a better apartment where they'll let you park under an awning, (AND a good alarm) or a seedier apartment where you can pull inside and nobody cares.

#31 ·
MikeK77 - I have had to store my bike outside with only a cover. Sometimes we don't get a choice on where to store it. I didn't have any trouble with snow blowing up under the cover. The only part of the bike that saw snow was the very bottom of the wheel/tire where the cover pulled up a bit. After an easy cleaning ya wouldn't know it.
Naturally if they offer a carport or something you can use it's preferred:thumbsup:

#32 ·
Getting the bike out of the winter snow/cold is the best option. Repair shops in our area offer winter storage. Bring it in and they will change all the fluids and winterize it. I think they pull the battery and give it to you (so it can be on a tender at home) and old onto it until April/May. Not to expensive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.