Motorcycle Forum banner

1975 Yamaha Enduro DT250

43K views 46 replies 16 participants last post by  thunderhead 
#1 ·
I have a Yamaha 250 that is all original, pictures and complete story will come at the same time a few post from now.......;)

For now, here is my question.

If you had an all original, near mint, above described bike, would you ride it often or just once a month or so ? And if you rode it at all, would you ride it in the woods where it was made to go too ?

Now I'm talking a near museum quality bike, never touched, same original tires look almost new, only 2100 miles.

Starts on the first crank every time and idles perfect, rides like a new one.......it actually makes me nervous when I roll it out.

Thanks for your input.

Revolverman.

#31 ·
Thanks for pics, nice 250! I've seen these and all the parts diagram photos I can find on the 'net. We're getting it about ready to fire up, but still need good close-ups of wiring routing under tank forward and rear brake pedal assy., we're missing something on the pedal, as its kinda loose?

#36 ·
so, by pushing it down, it opens the separate valve allowing more fuel to enter into cylinder, thanks!

Once its warmed up, it doesn't seem to make much difference, is this normal?

Should I run it in the down position (rich) for a while as its got a new ring/piston in it?

How long does it take for the ring to seat-in?

#37 ·
Oops. Sorry mate. That's batting above my level of expertise. My only comment is that I use my choke to start it when cold but immediately put it back to the non-choke position once it starts and can idle on its own. I'll check my manual tonight and let you know what the carby settings are. You may have them out.

#45 ·
I had an older model, now considered the Holy Grail of old dirt bikes. Yours is a little newer and certainly past issues with the earlier models. They were great bikes back then, I'd certainly ride the heck out of it if I had it. Just my opinion but I never understood turning one into a showpiece that is never ridden. Those bikes are a lot of fun!

#46 ·
Well, with the result this week on Bring A Trailer, you may want to take care. The auction of the 1975 DT400 which was restored, soared to over $15,000 for the bike.
I think it shows that there is considerable demand for this vintage of Yamaha DT's out there, especially very good condition bikes. Since yours in original condition, it may be getting more valuable quickly.

#47 ·
I have a Yamaha 250 that is all original, pictures and complete story will come at the same time a few post from now.......;)

If you had an all original, near mint, above described bike, would you ride it often or just once a month or so ? And if you rode it at all, would you ride it in the woods where it was made to go too ?

Now I'm talking a near museum quality bike, never touched, same original tires look almost new, only 2100 miles.

Starts on the first crank every time and idles perfect, rides like a new one.......it actually makes me nervous when I roll it out.

Thanks for your input.

Revolverman.

Thanks for your input.

Revolverman.
I have 1975 DT250 and the 400. I ride both every chance I get. They have about 3K miles on them now. Disconnected oil injection. Run 32:1 premix

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.