Motorcycle Forum banner

Women...bike you ride

22K views 61 replies 31 participants last post by  BAZININJA 
#1 ·
I'm just curious to know what kind of bikes the ladies on this forum ride. what you started on and now what you ride and anything you don't like or like about your bike

#2 ·

1985 Yamaha Maxim 700.

She's an oldie, but she starts everytime and runs great. Behind her is my husband and our Victory Vision. If we're riding for a local or day trip I ride my own. If we're on a long distance trip like vacations I ride on back of the Vision. I love both!!

#4 ·
Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

I started with a kz1000p. Took off the big ol' fairing, the saddlebags, and the radio box. I love this big, strong, s.o.b.! Enough power to keep me cautious without getting bored and a seat as comfy as any barka lounger.
The only thing I don't like is how little the previous owner paid attention to maintenance and upkeep. I've already had the carbs rebuilt and now I have to tackle some wiring issues before I start working on aesthetics like new paint and sanding off rusty spots.
I might want to take my Dad's Vulcan 1500 off of his hands (and out of his garage!) after I'm done getting this guy exactly how I want him. I definitely won't be tired of riding this ton of fun any time soon!

#5 ·
Well, Missy, I rode mini bikes when I was a little kid from about 6 or 7 until I was 12. Then dad bought a Honda 175 street bike which I rode the dickens out of. I got married in 1977 and didn't ride again until 2005 when my husband bought a Kawasaki Nomad and I rode behind him. In 2006 I got my Maxim. I rode until 2009 then hurt my back and doctor told me no riding. 2010 we traded the Nomad in on our Victory Vision and I continued to ride behind my husband. But I'd never admit that to my doctor.

Well, in the spring of 2012 I just couldn't stand it any longer. I started riding again but due to my back I just didn't feel really good about my slow maneuvers so I took the BRC and have been riding ever since.

#6 ·
I think I've already said this somewhere on this forum, but I started on a Honda CT70 when I was around 7 or 8. My current ride is an '07 gsxr750. It's pretty comfortable for a sportbike, does everything I ask it to do well enough, from commuting to track days. I like everything about it, except that it can be really temperamental and lets me know in no uncertain terms when it isn't happy. Then it's a huge pain in the ass, and sometimes I wonder why I put up with it. But when it's acting right, I've never loved any bike more.

I feel like I'm defending an abusive boyfriend when I talk about it sometimes... "yeah he can be really bad, but when he's good, he's sooooo good!"

:p

#7 ·
I'll answer for Mrs. Eye since she doesn't do forums. She started out riding, I guess, about 12 years ago. Her first bike was an older Ironhead Harley Sportster and in 2008 she purchased her current bike which is an 08 Harley Heritage Softail. I can tell you there is nothing she doesn't love about her bike and to be honest if she had to choose between her husband and her bike I have all ideas I know what her answer would be. :biggrin:

#12 ·
Yep, we are learning that feeling. We were doing fine when we 1st retired. Last year our monthly health insurance premium went from $419.00 per month to $729.00 per month. This year it went to $1009.00 per month and next March it will go to $1329.00 per month. Thank you Pres Obama for making our health insurance so "affordable"!!! Anyway, We no longer have any extra money to Play on. I'm thinking I may just have to go back to work soon so we can start touring again. I don't like it!!!

#13 ·
We are in the same boat MONI. Wife is 9 years my junior and was going to retire anyway but then the Affordable Health Care got rammed down our throat. So rather than letting some young person get a job for their future she's going back to work too. I really don't think the idiots that past that piece of poop have any idea what the real consequences of it really are. Heck, I'm even looking to go back to work. Experience gets the jobs so Obama has just screwed the young people. But they get free phones and insurance now.:thumbsdown:

#17 ·
I guess both of these bikes are technically "mine" now, although I share the '06 GSXR 1000 with my husband. I actually bought it for him, but he said it was not comfortable to ride long distances, so I got him a Shadow Sabre 1100, and put the GSXR in my name. However, I found the GSXR hurt my back after just a few minutes of riding (I had back surgery a year ago). So I rode the Sabre for a while, but struggled with it. Then I got this Suzuki Boulevard S40 this past weekend (AKA LS650 AKA Savage). I like how it reminds me of the mini bike I grew up on. I do find my back hurts after about 30 minutes on it, and I'm now trying to figure out how to put leg rests on it.

Attachments

#20 ·
I started a few months ago on a Honda Rebel 250, but I am a big girl and felt silly real fast on such a small bike and I was too scared to do interstate riding on it. A month ago I moved up to. Suzuki VL800 Intruder. It's much more fun for me and a better fit. I would love to someday move up to a Honda VTX1300, they are so sexy!

Attachments

#22 ·
I hope you ladies realize you make any bike look better. That's just something I've noticed over the years. Don't really know why that is but I bet I'm not the only one that has noticed that. :D

#25 ·
I started on a Yamaha 650 Vstar Classic....ran that for 39K miles and the moved up to a 1300 Venture Royal Star with the fairing, hard bags, and trunk...so can travel more...first year I had it put on 10K miles...

I just started riding in 2008...I love it!!:biggrin:

#26 ·
The wife was riding a Victory Cross roads until 2 weeks ago when she got hit totaling the bike. We went to the shop today to salvage a few add on's and she is now considering a Victory Vision lowered with the tour trunk removed. It will be a few more weeks before she can ride again because of a broken collarbone.

#27 ·
Good for her. An accident that bad could have easily scared her from ever riding again. She really does need to get back on that horse. If only for a little bit. Glad she is up to it. It is so easy to walk away from something you like because of someone else.

#28 ·
She will get back on as soon as she is able to. She is going to try riding on back next weekend with me. If it feels ok she will ride to Colorado the following weekend. If it doesn't go well, we will trailer the bike.

She loves to ride as much as I do and this little hiccup in the road is a minor annoyance to her.

#29 ·
My first street bike was an 1800 sporty. I loved it till my boyfriend made me ride his heritage softail home one day. He lost his bike that day! After riding the sporty I felt like I was riding a cadillac. I found the heavier bike was actually easier to balance and maneuver.

#30 ·
I just picked up a 1983 Honda Nighthawk CB650SC. It's my first bike of my own, although I've been on my boyfriend's Ducati a good number of times before that.

So far so good with my Hawk, shifts smooth, is easy for me to control, no scary power until 7,000RPM. It's a little heavy, but it's not over bearing. I'm adjusting to the weight and height difference from the Ducati just fine. My only complaint is how low it leans over when I put the stand down, it always makes me think its going to tip :p

#31 ·
Bike

I was going to give Mrs Snippets my 650 twin Suzuki, but she said she was happy to be a passenger, and prefers the old Yamaha.

The ladies I see riding are on Honda Shadows, the Suzuki 650 single, and Harley Sportsters. Although last week there was a tall lady on one of the bigger Harleys. She looked like the Jamie lady that works for Cycle World.

Unkle Crusty

#32 ·
What I ride:)

I started on an 883 harley sporster and about 1 1/2 years ago I moved up to a Heritage. 1st one was a 94 Heritage but last October I had to lay her down and that totaled her out:( I broke my arm in the process. I got a new 2008 Heritage. I have to admit I was really scared to get back in the saddle but I've been making myself get there and I'm so glad I did:):) I miss "Wind Therapy" . I love it!! I do have to admit I think I like my 2008 better than my 1994.

#33 ·
Can you answer a question then drish since you've had both. I've always said that a Sportster(883) is not a good first bike because they are top heavy. A softtail(Heritage) would be a much better choice. You've been there. What do you say?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.