Motorcycle Forum banner

65 Pan Head oil leak

17K views 21 replies 6 participants last post by  Badinfluence 
#1 ·
I'm gonna post a thread here so I can make it a bit easier to show Eye whats up with my friends Panhead.

It does not seem to be returning oil to the oil tank, so it just blows it out of the vent tube that you see running into the drain pan.

Back story: 65 Panhead, Indie spent 6 months putting a top end on it after it blew a head gasket, now oil runs out of the crank case vent.
So far I have pulled the oil pump check ball and cleaned it and re-installed. Any help is appreciated.

Oil pressure is 35 PSI.

See less See more
#7 ·
50 or 60 weight oil.

The reason I asked is because they don't generally HAVE a vent line, so I was trying to figure out what has been done to the bike and how it's set up. Normally, the crankcase vents out through a passage into the primary drive. The venting gasses help push the oil used to lubricate the front of the primary chain. So I was wondering exactly what the vent line you have is hooked up to. If he has a sealed, later style primary or a belt drive then I'd guess it was just an added vent line.

Here's a couple things you can look for:

Like Dod's mentioned, check for a plugged up return line.

Check the oil pressure relief valve. That would be the other screwed in plug in the oil pump. (That doesn't look like an original Panhead pump, but I'm no Pnahead expert.) If that's weak or stuck open it could be allowing too much excess oil to flow into the bypass passages. That would make it come out the old primary lube / crankcase vent passage, or new vent tube if that's what's been added.

Look for a screw in screen "filter" in the crankcase just forward of the oil pump. It may be where he's got the oil pressure guage installed, but it's hard to tell. Pull that out and make sure nothing is clogged up in there. If the screen is blocked that will increase pressure in the passage back to the oil pressure relief valve.

Take off the outer cover on the oil pump and turn the engine over by hand to make sure the gears in the pump are working. (They use a key on the pump shaft to work.) The return / scavenger gears are the ones furthest out from the motor, and the oil feed gears are the ones on the inside, closest to the motor. If the key is sheared the scavenge gears wouldn't pump and the oil could be just backing up inside the timing gear case.

#10 ·
Well, if you're getting no return pressure at all I'd guess it was a problem with the scavenger gears. (Maybe a blown gasket between the feed and scavenger gears?) I'm not familiar with the S&S pumps but from the picture you posted it looks like it's plumbed like a Shovelhead pump. Be interested to learn what the problem was, but if it takes 6 more months I'll have forgotten what the symptoms were. :biggrin:

#11 ·
His reasoning was that it would take us too long to get the parts.
My exact words were "But I bet it doesn't take us 6 months to fix the sob."

He assumed it was a sumping problem and I'd be able to get him on the road quick. He knows I'll give him **** if they don't get right on it like was promised.

#12 ·
News is the pump is fried. I'm trying to get my hands on this thing so I can see what makes it tick. It's kinda embarrassing how little I know about this type of oiling system.

BTW, Eye it has a belt drive primary on it if that's what you were asking.

#14 ·
See now, my being a car guy, you wanting to know what kinda drive it had seemed like some type of senile rambling. :coffeescreen:

The only dealings I've ever had with dry sump engines was on our MX bikes and they never had an oiling problems so I never had to work on them.

#18 ·
Regular old factory service manuals have a great explanation of how the oil system works, complete with diagrams. Maybe you know someone that will loan you one for a bit. The library here has a few of them too. I don't know if a Haynes or Chilton Harley manual has the explanation and diagrams though.

The dry sump system works substantially the same for most Big Twin models over the last 60 years or so, but there are some differences in different models. Different types of oil pumps, different oil routing, and so on.

#19 ·
Well I found a video where the dude does a decent job of explaining the pump and now I feel stupid!! I just wasn't making the connection that this pump has both pressurization impeller sets and return sets.

Sometimes the mind can make something so simple seem so difficult.

#20 · (Edited)
I run into that all the time working on old farm equipment ODE. Seems we are programmed to over think things. Sorta sucks sometimes when in my case some old farmer comes by and shows me something that was so absolutely simple. You feel so dumb.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.