Motorcycle Forum banner

1975 Yamaha Enduro DT250

43K views 46 replies 16 participants last post by  thunderhead 
#1 ·
I have a Yamaha 250 that is all original, pictures and complete story will come at the same time a few post from now.......;)

For now, here is my question.

If you had an all original, near mint, above described bike, would you ride it often or just once a month or so ? And if you rode it at all, would you ride it in the woods where it was made to go too ?

Now I'm talking a near museum quality bike, never touched, same original tires look almost new, only 2100 miles.

Starts on the first crank every time and idles perfect, rides like a new one.......it actually makes me nervous when I roll it out.

Thanks for your input.

Revolverman.

#2 · (Edited)
The story.........

When I was 19, I bought a new, 1975 Yamaha Enduro DT 250. I was newly married so I took my wife on many trips camping all over the mountains.

I sold the bike some years later. Fast forward about 37 years or so, my son put a wanted ad on CL for a Enduro. He got a reply from a nice lady that said she had a near mint Enduro she bought new when she was 19 and now she is about 54 I think.

The bike was never rode on trails, rough stuff, always garaged in a dark cool place and never been down. Never anthing done except plug and good gas etc. No repairs ever, no changes, nothing..........even original tires.

She said it had 2100 miles, all street miles. My son hooked us up and I bought the bike. It came in one day from Michigan to TN. It started on the first crank. Below is a pic and video of the bike when I got it. My post above ask if you would ride this bike and to what extent.

It is now parked and covered in a secured bldg. I start it weekly and just keep 100% gas in it.

And how about a little ride ?

Revolverman.

#3 ·
in my opinion, unless the bike is worth something in the collector market and gainning value by the day, I would ride it, to the point you feel content with its condition. Ask yourself is there historical value or a big warm spot in our heart for it. In all honesty the dt 250 is not a highly sought after bike, this one in the pictures is beautiful yet still a dt 250. once again jmo

#5 ·
Revolverman,
First off - BEAUTIFUL MACHINE. Second, what you're asking is a very personal question. If I owned that bike, I would ride it often - albeit carefully. For real trail bashing I'd get another bike. I would also meticulously maintain and clean it. But, and this is big, none of us are you. You must listen to your heart and your gut instincts as to what to do with that beauty.

Really cool dilemma to have though.

#6 ·
Before I traded it on an even older Honda, my main commuter bike was an 85 Honda Nighthawk 700S. Once I get the 82 CX500 inspected, it's going to be my main commuter bike. I've put 4600 miles on my new Ducati Monster, I'd like to keep the mileage down on it, especially with the cost of new tires for it!

#7 ·
Whatever you feel like

Hi mate,

I reckon whatever you choose will be right for you :)

I like the mix of leaving it for weekend rides.

Why don't you join a local vintage and classic motorcycle club and then you can enjoy the pleasure of showing it to other bike fans?

I know it's not a collector's item to some people...but it's really about the bike and "you"...not how other people think of it.

To me...the 1975 DT250 takes me back to all the good memories of the 70s. When I watched the vid of you taking it on a ride that was it for me! It's an unmistakable sound when you ride the 250B. Please keep the vids coming and I hope you find that side-cover on eBay.

cheers

Pato

#8 ·
Revolverman, I was in a very similar but situation a couple of years ago.
1973 Hodaka 125 Wombat Enduro, The kicker.... 545 original miles!
The tires still had the "titties" on them. I mean Original, bone stock. I felt guilty about riding something that was so well preserved and had made it this long without being messed with. Then I realized, like the others have said, its not a Black Shadow or some other historically important bike. The people who made these bikes made them to be ridden. I am now at about 775 miles and feel good about my decision to ride it. I don't trail ride or off road it, but I ride it every weekend around town. For me the reactions I get from folks who see me on the bike are great, and they would never see that bike if i kept it hidden in my garage. On the other hand I did put my restored 72 Husqvarna 450 on display behind my bar in the game room, because lets face it, is way fast and handles horribly. By the way your Yamaha is really good looking!

#9 ·
DT Models

LOVE 'EM!!
Grew up on a '72 175 dt yam. enduro(candy apple red),went to R5-C yam street.....when the R5 left cyl. screamed at me as I was coming across the NASA Causeway draw bridge from the space cntr.(fla.) local yam. shop couldn't fix it.....they didn't have clue what was causeing it....it did it again after rebuild(oil pump inject. quit at high speeds) traded for a '72 DT yam. 250(orange)....I look at them on the internet and drool.....lol....thanks for sharing.Brings back alot of good/great times of my youth....:icon_cool:

#10 ·
Well, my bike is in the shop getting restored. Lots of bits going off to various other shops to get done e.g. lower fork arms getting polished and cleared, wheels getting sent to another state to get relaced, frame being powder coated, hubs being ceramic coated. I am trying to get NOS parts where I can but the one thing that is going to be near impossible to find is a NOS speedo in km/hr.

I'll some pics soon of the before condition.

Pato

#11 ·
Oh...and forgot to say that the really rare bits (for any DT250 enthusiast) to find on eBay were in fantastic condition i.e. the rock guard (never been off-road), under the seat (no real signs of any rust), the tank (no dents), chain guard (we have the long one in Australia and this one is in perfect condition).

Pato

#17 ·
Thanks guys. For now, it is in my shop with the gas drained out of carb and covered.

I have not had a chance to ride lately.

I really like that bike so I will ride it occasionally just to make sure it's lubed and running well.

Pato, you got a nice one ! Keep up the good work, it is a beauty !

Revolverman.

#19 ·
Revolver man - Your bike photo is on eBay

Hi mate,

I'm not sure if you are aware or not but your photo is being used in an eBay ad. Just look up "YAMAHA DT250 DT 250 FUEL GAS PETROL TANK DECAL DECALS SET 1975"

I think the copyright law is that they should have asked you for permission first before using your photo...if not...you should be able to either a) contact eBay and tell them that they are breaching Copyright laws or b) as them for $$$ for the rights to use your photo.

cheers

Pato

#21 ·
I would ride it, but not off road. I'd use it to goof around on good days. It is worth keeping as is. Unless you plan to sell it or treat it as an investment, ride it. Not all the time, but sometimes, just to keep it going.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.