Motorcycle Forum banner

'05 Ultra Classic. Wont Start. Just click

3K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  SafetyMan 
#1 ·
I have an '05 Ultra Classic. Parked it at the beginning of this past winter, I wasnt in town to start it. I had the battery checked and it was bad, showing 0 Amps. so bought a battery recommended here.

After replacing the battery, fully charged, all lights, everything works, plenty of juice for the stereo and running lights, all of it.

Press starter switch and it clicks once. Lights dim, it is like everything works but just wont turn over.

Reading around I have seen a bunch of different possible explanations. I did remove plugs and gave it a quick shot of WD 40.

Continuity test, Checked wiring there appears to be no short.

Brand new battery.

What should I check next?

#2 ·
Sounds like you got a bad battery. It happens. But recheck ALL connections. All it takes is one poor connection and you got problems. And make sure they are tight. If it still won't start you'll have to take it to a parts shop and have it load tested. Really sounds like bad battery though not able to maintain load.

#3 ·
#4 ·
Take a hammer and tap on the starter and solenoid. If that works then you've got some corrosion somewhere but, also if that worked, the more you fire it up the less likely it'll repeat.

Otherwise see above about checking connections for looseness/corrosion, particularly any and all ground connections.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.