Motorcycle Forum banner

Platform boots

44K views 71 replies 14 participants last post by  61995 
#1 ·
Friend wants to learn to ride but is too short and having issues. She needs about 1 inch in height. Lowering the bike is not really an option since she is borrowing mine and I am not sure I want the bike lowered :)

There are two options as I see it. Get a standard boot and take it to a shoe repair store to have the sole built up or buy platform boots.

My fear with premade platform boots is that they are for looks not function. Anyone have any recommendations on something that would actually protect her if she goes down. Preference is to a sportbike/racing boot like alpine stars or sidi.

Has anyone had the soles built up on their boots, if so how did that last? Did the layers delaminate and come off?

Lastly what is needed to ensure she can shift correctly. If you are adding an extra inch to avoid having to make excessive movements is there any shaping on the left boot that has to be done?

Any other advice regarding platform boots that covers something I did not mention would be appreciated. I really dont know much about this subject since I have never had a need before.

See less See more
#70 ·
I have worn heels (boots) on my bikes but I am tall already, so i wore it out of fashion, and never had an issue with the heel catching and stopping me from doing anything, but have rode with my dirt gear on on my Ninja and it is a PITA to shift and the position and thickness of the boot felt weird to me for the street.

So insight on a thinker sole surface on the ball of a foot seems impractical to me. and having a heel does not help because you really use the ball of your foot mainly anyway.

Kinda a late response but there ye go.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.