Motorcycle Forum banner

First lay down and unsure of damage...

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Dodsfall 
#1 ·
So i've been riding now for a couple weeks, took the MSF course, bought a bike, etc etc. I've been cruising around my neighborhood until two days ago when I was feeling a little frisky. Every part of my being was telling me not to go riding.....I was dead tired and hungry to boot. Unfortunately, that didn't stop me.
I took the bike into mild traffic then turned down a very long, quiet road. When I reached the end, I decide to do a very tight u-turn in the middle of the road (from a stop). Normally not a big deal, but for whatever reason, I had a brain fart and I believe (and it all happened so fast) I blipped the throttle and then braked mid-turn when I paniced, and the bike fell over.
Luckily I fell into grass and the bike didn't suffer cosmetically other than grass and mud here and there. The handle bars seem a little off, and it feels like I have a little wobble up front.

How bad could the damages be seeing as though the bike really only fell over on itself? Bent rim? Bent forks? All of the above? I have an appt to take it in on thursday, but to be honest, i'm scared to get in the saddle again. Plus, it might not be the best idea to drive the bike, not knowing whats wrong.
I don't know how else to get it there though......
Any thoughts, or things I should check?

Thanks!

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks.

Its a Nighthawk 750. The handlebars seem like they aren't perfectly straight/aligned and the wobble feels like I am driving on an uneven road surface. When I roll the bike in my garage, you can also hear a slight rubbing coming from the front tire as well.

#5 ·
No, nothing dented. Thats why i'm kicking myself over this!! I was literally rolling. I think I saw a snail go by.

The rubbing sounds like on a bicycle when your brake pads are rubbing. Only when the wheel is cocked to the left though......

#7 ·
Well upon further review.....I put my center stand down and I had my wife apply preasure to the rear of the bike so the front wheel would come off the ground. I was then able to spin the tire freely. The rim "appeared" to be straight and un-bent, but the rubbing occurs at all angles including straight.

I will try to tighten some bolts and see what happens.

#8 ·
It's normal for disk brakes to rub lightly. They shouldn't rub to a large extend though. If you aren't sure, have the shop check them out.

The handlebars could have got bent a little in the spill. That's pretty common. It shouldn't take much to get them straight again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.