Motorcycle Forum banner

Dual Sport on the Highway

69K views 42 replies 27 participants last post by  malliasg21 
#1 ·
Ok I know this has probably been asked before, and I did use the search function. I just need a definite answer. I have decided a Dual Sport would be really awesome to own, especially since I am in State College, PA and I have heard there are some good spots to ride off road around here. What I need to know is how well a 250 Dual Sport would last on a long highway trip. I am actually from Philly and it is a 200 or so mile ride home and I want to get it to and from school. It includes about an hour and a half on 322 and the same amount of time on 76. So will I make it in one piece (and I also suppose that I will have some stuff with me, nothing serious, clothes, laptop etc.)?

#38 ·
I ride a Suzuki Dr 650, it's great on the highway and great in the trails. Cruise 70 mph at the bottom of 5th its a nice quiet smooth ride. But if you were going to be riding that far I would invest in a new seat for whatever you get.. I ride mine to the lake on the weekends 80 miles and it's not bad, but any further and I'd start hurting.

Attachments

#40 ·
I use to have a KLR 650 with 80/20 tires on it, that bike was too light for interstate rides, with 287 about 2 miles away that is where I would ride mine. Didnt like the highway with it, but to find a dirt road or trail made up for the bikes other short comings. I sold mine several years ago, but miss it when I am out riding and I see a trail....

#42 ·
It all depends on how tough you are. If you have to travel major interstate roads you probably wont like it much. If you can get where your going on 55 MPH roads you'll do fine.
I've found out everything is a sacrifice or trade off. It just depends on what your priority is.
Last year I rode a DR650 6800 miles in 3 weeks. I ran all types of roads. Ran the TAT from Kentucky to Oklahoma (mix of dirt,gravel and secondary blacktop roads. Headed south to Texas and ran west along the border until I got to the Continental Divide. Then ran the CDR (allot of sand,dirt,gravel) north to Canada. Geared up a tooth and hit the interstate putting in a couple 650 mile days running 75-80 to get home.
Like I said how tough and your priority. To me the only limit to a 250 would be if you cant avoid 65-70 mile per hour roads. My 650 isnt at home running 75-80 but you can.
Oh yeh I'm 63 years old.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.