Motorcycle Forum banner

Philips screwdriver tip broke off in screw!

11K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  bille 
#1 ·
So I'm trying to replace the ground wire for my battery (green corrosion ran a good five inches up inside the insulation). The ground wire on a 79 Suzuki GS750L attaches to the starter. However, to remove the wire you also have to remove the left side plate (clutch cover) because the wires run under it to the starter.

They are stuck TIGHT. I used penetrating oil. I hit it with heat and put a semi-snug philips screwdriver in and tapped with a hammer (tapped, not hammered) and gave it a good twist. Snap! The tip of the screwdriver broke off inside the screw! The surface of the screw is now level.

I tried tapping in the corners of the + with a nail, small punch, etc. to try rocking it out. Fail. I broke three drill bits trying to drill out the center. I tried a very powerful magnet. All fails.

I can't get even a small vice-grip on the semi-recessed screw head.

The dremel won't cut through the screwdriver tip and the placement and positioning of the screw head will not allow me to cut from end to end.

Any ideas?

See less See more
#4 ·
If I could lay my bike on it's side it might be possible, but the screw is on the bottom side and recessed into the cover. Only the corner of the chisel will make contact on a small exposed area of the screw. If it does not turn on the first tap or two, it will probably ruin the head.

#3 ·
If you can get your hands on an air chisel/hammer, that will help. Then spray down that screw with some JB Blaster....There's a product better than JB Blaster but I can't remember the name of it now, my parts guy just gave us a can to use and its great, but I don't remember the name.

#7 ·
It's too late for that screw, but the screws used on these bikes are not Phillips, they are made to the JIS standard, and Phillips screwdrivers just don't fit properly, causing the screw heads to strip or the driver to jam if pushed in hard enough.

#8 · (Edited)
How about posting a picture. We have no idea how LARGE a screw you're dealing with.

I'd be trying various picks, dremels, punches to remove the remains of the tip of the screwdriver. That HARDENED STEEL debris will stop most drill bits, EZ outs, etc.

If you can remove the debris then you can progress to a reverse threaded drill bit, EZ out, or cut a fresh (straight) screwdriver slot with the dremel.

THEN you want to use an impact wrench, preferably air driven, to remove the screw.

Link: WHEN IS A PHILLIPS NOT A PHILLIPS:
http://www.instructables.com/id/When-a-Phillips-is-not-a-Phillips/step10/
Note the "dot" on the JIS screw head....there's your clue...

A "butterfly" low-power air impact wrench equipped with a #2 Phillips (or in this case, JIS) bit is invaluable for removing screws on motorcycles, lawnmowers, etc without stripping them. Works about 1000x better than a screwdriver on a really tight one.

Putting Vise Grips on a square shaft screwdriver? Fuggedaboudit! Never works, just strips the head off. Find someone with impact tools or invest in some.

The "Zen" thing about removing stripped bolts/screws/studs is patience. Impatience can quickly make the situation far WORSE -- (like busting off cooling fins when you try and strike a hand impact driver with a hammer, right Robert?) If you start getting frustrated STOP! Take it to a machinist or mechanic who has removed dozens of strippers and has a "toolbox" of removal techniques, a torch, spray freeze, impact tools, along with the CONFIDENCE s/he can get anything out...with patient effort!

#9 ·
Just FWIW, you can't count on the little dot on JIS screw heads, especially on older bikes. And, generally, a JIS screwdriver will fit a Phillips head well enough, it's the Phillips that does not fit JIS heads well enough, so I always reach for the JIS first.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.