Motorcycle Forum banner

TOP SPEED??? 2005 Honda Shadow VT750 Aero!!!

35K views 26 replies 15 participants last post by  Porky 
#1 ·
Cant seem to get it over 95mph on flat level ground.......Is it due to the stock muffler or air filter or just my fat body.:71baldboy:

#5 ·
TC: slow the hell down and join the ranks of RESPONSIBLE STREET RIDERS. if you want to go fast, go to the drag strip or a real track.

before you guys are like 'omg a cruiser at a track?!?!', i've seen goldwings be tracked on youtube, so it's NEVER out of the question.

seriously though, SLOW. DOWN. you've found your max speed, live with it. you don't hear me crying about how my 600R struggles above 125 with 'only' 85 RWHP....

#6 ·
The top speed is most likely being determined by the rev limiter, so there isn't anything you could do with the intake or exhaust to increase it. You may be able to get a handful of horsepower at a cost of fuel economy, but that wouldn't increase the top speed, it would just get you there a tad faster. Being a shaft drive, it would probably be an expensive proposition to change the final drive ratio to increase the top speed. An other option may be to use a more radical cam and heavy duty valve springs to increase the maximum RPM potential of the engine. All in all though, it's going to take a chunk of money and work to coax a few more miles per hour out of the bike. The best option would likely be a bigger bike. :)

PM a link to the picture you would like to post and I'll add it to your post.

#8 ·
I had my Shadow 750 up to about 95 on the autobahn... 95 is more than fast enough for me, so I had no worries. I wanted more torque so that when I had the wife on board I could get up to speed quicker... I bought a HD FLHTCU (Electra Glide)... No I have comfort and the motor to get me up to speed :thumbsup:

#20 ·
I had my Shadow 750 up to about 95 on the autobahn... 95 is more than fast enough for me, so I had no worries. I wanted more torque so that when I had the wife on board I could get up to speed quicker... I bought a HD FLHTCU (Electra Glide)... No I have comfort and the motor to get me up to speed 👍
2004 shadow aero before I had a windshield and bags ,with carburetor got it up to 108 mph

#10 · (Edited)
Private run way

The run way is literally a run way....

Bryson City Airport --- its a small private airport that is mostly unused except by a few people here in town and then only once every few years.

I didnt realize it onlt had 45HP ........no wonder a 600cc sport bike is sooooo much faster they have like 80HP

#14 · (Edited)
the '09 R6 is claimed 135 crank hp....which is about as optimistic as their tachometer....the '07 was claimed at 127 or so. honda's claim for the '09 cbr being 118 is a bit more realistic.

actual sport rider RWHP dyno numbers from this year's shootout:

CBR600RR: 100.5 @ 14,000
ZX-6R: 108.7 @ 13,750
GSX-R600: 105.3 @ 13,500
Daytona 675: 107.1 @ 12,750
YZF R6: 102.1 @ 14,250

mind you, this year model lineup has been much more restricted than the mid-2000's era bikes were, and with a full exhaust you could expect some rather nice gains compared to similar exhausts on earlier models.

#15 ·
Top speed, vt750 aero

Hello,
I have a 2007 750 Aero, pushing a Memphis Slim windshield. On flat ground, no wind, I can get 107/8 out of it. I would think without a windshield, rider in a tuck, might go 115, perhaps peg it IDK????? Don't know about any other bikes as this is also my first bike. I don't anticipate going that speed again, but like many riders, I wanted to see what the machine would do. Now it's always within the speed limit. It keeps the man off my back and saves money, plus, what's the point? I do like this bike. It does have Cobra Street Rod exhaust with carb. and air filter mods; perhaps this makes a difference. Good looking and good running bike. Would buy again. :thumbsup:

#17 ·
Top speed.

I too have a 45 hp bike. It is an XS400. When new a skinny kid in leathers got one to nudge 100 mph.
But now with the windshield, leg guards, ammo boxes, rear top box and a bunch of other gear, the darn thing barely nudges 90.
I have another bike that makes 95 hp and weighs too much. Same skinny kid got 120 plus out of these bikes when new. But again, with all the extra gear I have bolted on, it is not stable enough after about 95.

Short story is: If you want to go fast buy a fast bike. So I have one of them too. It makes enough power to overcome the drag of all the cruising type gear. Shirley has been 110 on the back of this one.

Unkle Crusty*

#19 ·
$1.20

I can not remember that far back. I was 141 at 14 and currently around 165. Promised the doc I would drop to the 160s during my 60s, and 150s during my seventies. I have ten months to do that. 159 is attainable as I have done that already, but only for a short while.

The skinny kid would now be in his 50s if was was twenty back then.

Unkle Crusty*

#22 ·
TWSS. But I read the whole thread anyway since it came up under "NEW".

I started to say I never did see how fast my old 750 Shadow ACE would go, but then I remembered "that one time" when I was riding in the Colorado mountains. Speed limit was 65 MPH and with the throttle wide open, all I could get was 55 MPH. But (another but) it had a fat guy on it and was loaded down with full saddlebags plus tent, sleeping bag, a windshield, etc.
And a carburetor that was fine once I was out of the mountains.

#23 ·
I remember when I had that urge to find out how fast my motorcycle was, but it seems the older I got, the less that it mattered. Then I got an 1100 Kawasaki Ninja. For a long time I wanted to ride a bike over 150 MPH one time, just to see what that felt like.

Well the fastest I ever went on it was about 135 MPH. When I got to going pretty fast I started thinking about how old the bike was, how old some of those critical parts were, how long a smear I would make going that fast, and it all had an effect on my right hand.

#24 ·
I was doing 80 mph on my Suzuki/ Yoshimura 1200 Bandit on HWY 138, just out of Palmdale, CA going East and I spied a long straight section with no one on it but me, so I dropped it down into 5th and nailed it! I forget the RPM's, since it was a while ago, in 1998 BUT I was going so fast that I kept seeing JESUS, about every hundred yards, waving his arms to slow me down!! Thank you LORD. 😇 The speedometer sat at 160 mph for about 3/4 of a mile.(y) I never did shift into 6th.

Sam:blush:

#26 ·
I sometimes find myself riding below the speed limit just so I can view more of the local scenery. If I start holding up a couple cars, I'll wave them past me or I'll pull over and let them go.
When I rode the Twisted Sisters down in Texas, I would ride slowly past those big ranches so I could get a look at the African animals on them. I also like to stop and read roadside plaques.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.