Motorcycle Forum banner

valkyrie reverse

18K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  DannoXYZ 
#1 ·
Hi everybody! I'm new to site and hope this question hasn't been beat up to much in the past. Can I get a reverse gear for a 1998 honda valkyrie?

#6 · (Edited)
VERY interesting! I will have to research the mechanisms themselves and find the means to do this!
I would actually consider finding some way to do this with other bikes as well, including my Vmax.

You mentioned that money to make this work on a Valk would be better spent on buying a bike with it already installed. While in 99% of the cases, that is 100% true, in my case, I am one of those who LOVES projects like this idea, and would actually consider it money BEST spent for me lol

EDIT:
I'm not positive but I believe that the reverse runs off of the starter motor.
I do not know how that would work, because the starter motor turns the crank, and the crank is disconnected from the rear wheel when the bike is in neutral. My guess would be a 2nd dedicated electric motor hooked up to the driveshaft somehow.

#7 ·
My guess would be a 2nd dedicated electric motor hooked up to the driveshaft somehow.
that's what I understood also when I heard about reverse on a Goldwing, flipping that switch changes the "connection" for the electric from the starter to the other electric motor that runs the bike backwards, but I don't know if it hooks into the drive shaft or on the wheel itself

#10 ·
I believe the 1998 Valkyries destined for Japan had the reversing option.

I located some youtubes by M Stillman who says he had transplanted the reverse mechanism form a mid 90's Goldwing engine to his Valkyrie.

The engines blocks are similar, he figured an electrical 2 button system to engage/disengage the reverse instead of the handle and cables.

Interesting read.

#13 ·
If you ever figure out a way to accomplished this task, let everyone know so there is closure to this thread or it may rise from the dead again some year. :)

#18 ·
Hello all, I was doing some research to find a way of installing a reverse on my F6C. I found this short video on YOUTUBE. By the looks of it, this person transplanted part of a goldwing engine or his Valk was a Japanese tourer, but you can clearly see the 2 cables and actuator above the oil filler cap.

#19 ·
The Valkyrie has 6 carbs and they say they make more power then the he goldwing with better cams. The goldwing has reverse though. If the vmax comes out with reverse then it will be the most bought bike I'm betting. Honda needs to stop receiving thinking they don't have gold in th goldwing and lower the price

#20 ·
With the trend toward electric powered bicycles and motorcycles, I'm wondering if "they" could easily come up with an aftermarket FRONT WHEEL low-speed drive system that would help you get a dead / not running bike off the road to a safe parking spot, or to get one back on pavement if it got stuck in mud or soft grass on a hill, and the rear wheel alone isn't getting enough traction.

By reversing the Pos and Neg flow of electricity to the motor, that same FRONT wheel drive apparatus could become a "REVERSE" gear with the flip of a switch.

I'm envisioning a system where the speed is limited to just a few MPH. Walking speed, not running speed and certainly not even close to "first gear normal riding" speed.

#21 ·
I was thinking that electric motor in front-hub can convert bike to 2wd for better acceleration!

#22 ·
Under high acceleration won't most of the bike's weight transfer to the rear wheel? The improvement might be marginal unless the rear wheel has some kind of mechanism similar to BMW's paralever rear suspension to reduce the weight transfer.

#24 ·
As for reverse on Valkyrie, can you reach up with foot and spin front-tyre backwards???
That's how we roll open-wheel cars on & off trailers...