Motorcycle Forum banner

A few pictures of my ride to Hoopers Island

6K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  myorangetracks 
#1 ·
So last Monday I hooked up with 3 guys from one of the local Meetup groups in this area. We took a ride over to the eastern shore and visited Taylor and Hoopers Island and rode through Blackwater Refuse.

[/URL][/IMG]

The four of us, Rich, Dave, Tom and I.

[/URL][/IMG]

The only place to get gas in at least 30 miles

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

This is the road leading to the Fishing creek Bridge. We stopped in the middle of the bridge to take pictures and chat. We were there about 10 minutes. 1 Car passed in that time.

[/URL][/IMG]

On our way back to civilization we went through the wildlife refuse. Not much traffic there either :)

See less See more
#6 · (Edited)
I think that might have been a different "Black Water"

Badlands said:
You wont find places like that in North Dakota.
I didn't know you could find them in MD either

CPulsar- Unfortunately you have to ride for a couple of hours on major highways to get to those kind of roads

Soupy- I think it is just luck of the draw

#5 ·
Nice pics! Thanks for taking us along!!

One thing I noticed in the first photo, was the interesting choice of fenders on the front tires. Made me wonder how many folks prefer the fuller coverage of a larger fender, than a smaller one?

Looks like a 50/50 split in THAT crowd!

Any advantages or disadvantages worth talking about, to either style? Obviously it is a matter of personal preference.
Just wondering about the functionality factor is all.

"I" tend to prefer a larger fender on front (and back), and I'd like to believe that my preference is based on some notion that I get more mud-sling protection from a larger bumper.

That may be a valid opinion on some level, but I wonder if there is a benefit to a smaller fender that out weighs the mud-slinging potential?

-Soupy

#10 ·
I hear you. mine was probably safer as well, only had to worry about turtles crossing the road. They seem to like to do it in the middle of a curve.

#14 ·
Metaldoc, aren't there any farm fuel services near you. The ones here will sell to any walk in. You don't have to have a farm ID number. Would be having to go to the airport unless you are referring to a little municipal type. But farm fuel services should carry kerosene if that's really what you want.

#16 ·
Hog, most of the farm fuel suppliers around here are the Co-ops and they just don't want to mess with it. There is one independent distributor I haven't checked with who might be a source. The farm supply stores sell it in five gallon cans for double the price of bulk.

I don't use a lot, but like to keep some around for heaters for emergency heat. I've also got a 165,000 btu fan forced air space heater which can take the chill out of a big shed in a hurry. It'll burn diesel but kerosene burns cleaner with less stink.

Yeah, I was talking small muni airport. The airport manager is a friend, so getting my kerosene (Jet A) from him is easiest but I'd sure appreciate access to a pump like in Critter's pic. ;)

#17 ·
Yeah, co-op's have sold out for the most part. But my hat is off to our electric co-op. For how long it will be that way is totally unknown but right now they are doing very good for their customers. Of course I might be seeing a better side of them as I do supply them with electricity from time to time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.