Motorcycle Forum banner

HELP!!! Bike looses power and gets louder

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  cmonSTART 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

I am new to this and motorcycles so i dont have much knowledge about these two things. I recently got a 86 suzuki vs700 intruder and went cruisin. i was doing about 65-70 in 5th gear ( for some reason I cant go faster?) and then all of a sudden, my bike slows down in 5th gear to around 50mph and my bike runs louder. I keep going at about 50-55 mph to where i had to go. about 4 hours later i get back on and at first it runs fine. its pulling like it used to. I get about 3 miles away and BAM!!! the bike gets louder again and im only going 50 down the highway. I was downshifting as i was coming to a stop at a light and my bike just died quietly. i started it back up and rolled on the throttle a little and there was a delay before i heard the gas kick in. I had to keep the throttle slightly rolled so that it wouldnt die on me again. I came home adjusted both of the carburetors to 3 turns and went for a test drive. Seemed fine at first. was going about 50-55 and then all of a sudden my bike dies quietly again! What the heck is the problem?

I did some research and think my carbs may be clogged so ill try some seafoam tomorrow and see if theres a difference. Also i read that it can be my battery not making any power. I have really no clue whats going on. Please help me get my bike running good back on the road!

Thanks

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.