Motorcycle Forum banner

Picked up avstar 650 custom

4K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  Chabvonga 
#1 ·
Hey eveyone,

Just picked up a 2009 vstar custom. Started riding at a very early age, but never really rode a cruiser style bike, owned lots of sport bike. I thought I would start to settle down a bit at my ripe old age of 30 and get something a little more practical for work commuting and just all around cruising (also more comfortable).

Bike has 13,000miles on the clock runs and looks really sweet. Was really well taken care of. I have put 100miles on it (just got it 3 days ago) and truely loving the cruiser life style. My only gripe, is i wish the bike had a 6th gear for hwy cruising. I go to and from work on the hwy about 22miles each way so its not too bad but it does rev rather high in 5th at about 65-70. I keep doing the phantom sixth gear search ( i am so used to having 6 gears).

All in all I am happy and enjoying it.

Jon.

#2 ·
Well done! They are a sweet looking ride for sure. Post a photo when you can. As far as the gear issue goes, I went from a 6 speed Harley back to a five. It was a bit awkward feeling at first, but I actually liked the five better, as I found my self lugging the six speed at times. You'll get used to it. Just let it have those extra RPMs it needs on the highway.:71baldboy:

#3 ·
cant post pics yet until i hit 15 posts. so i will def post when i can.

thanks for the well wishes. I really like the looks of the star bikes. I went with it because it was a entry level cruiser and still had that big bike look. Really enjoying it.

#4 ·
I traded up from a 650 Silverado last August for the same reason. I had put a tach on mine and you are looking at 5k at 70. Everyone kept telling me it is made to do that.

#10 ·
thanks! i love tha dam thing. i go in the garage just stare at it for a bit every now and again when i am bored at home. first upgrade has to be the exhaust. a little too quiet for my taste. I dont want to do the drill hole mod, cause thats just silly and sounds like hissing rather then a rumble.

#14 ·
Beautiful bike, yeah, you will be looking for that gear all the time! :biggrin:
But I have a 650 VStar Classic (07) and after my bf bought me a backrest, I was able to put 39K miles on it....very reliable and easy to work on too! Get your book, you can follow the directions on it and fix it yourself, unless you have a warranty, then use that! I never could get used to not having enough gears on the highway, but I only took the highway to get to the twisties!;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.